Cookies are required for login or registration. Please read and agree to our cookie policy to continue.

Newest Member: GettingThere08

Off Topic :
Outfit question

Topic is Sleeping.

zebra25 (original poster member #29431) posted at 6:52 PM on Thursday, August 10th, 2023

I'm going to my H's 40th high school reunion at the end of September. I live in the northeast so the weather is usually warm during the day and possibly cool at night but can vary a lot.

What the heck should I wear? Dress? Nice pants? I have no idea.

They are having a buffet dinner. The place is not fancy. Comparable to an American Legion.

I hate to be over or under dressed. If it was summer I would probably wear a casual summer dress.

Help!!! laugh laugh laugh

Extra points if you can point me to a store. There is little to no in person shopping where I live so I will have to order something.

Thank you!!!!!

"Don't let anyone who hasn't been in your shoes tell you how to tie your laces."

D-day April 2010

id 8803919

Superesse ( member #60731) posted at 9:19 PM on Thursday, August 10th, 2023

Hey zebra, I hear ya. If your destination for thisHS reunion will be near the New England coast (especially Maine, New Hampshire, or Mass) here's the scoop from what I saw last summer: it's easy to end up over-dressed.

We had a wedding to attend at an island beach near Portland, Maine, so not being near any beach area, I thought I needed to hit the famous outlet malls on the NH/ME border, plus I checked out every "upscale" boutique in Kennebunkport, either in person or doing web searches. I almost could not find an appropriate summer gown, as what goes for "dresses" up there are shirt dresses with seersucker stripes, basic sack dresses, I'm talking deliberately "dressed down." I finally found ONE spot that sold what I was looking for, a semi-formal beachy dress. If it helps I could pm you the shop name.

Good luck!!!

posts: 2073   ·   registered: Sep. 22nd, 2017   ·   location: Washington D C area
id 8803933

zebra25 (original poster member #29431) posted at 10:04 PM on Thursday, August 10th, 2023

"I finally found ONE spot that sold what I was looking for, a semi-formal beachy dress. If it helps I could pm you the shop name."

That would be great!! Thanks!!

This reunion is in PA. I haven't been to one in quite a while. The last couple I went to, the ladies were wearing dresses. I wouldn't say formal but not casual shirt dresses either. It seems like the latest trend is more casual but I could be wrong.

I have black and navy dresses that hit at the knee. I also have cropped black pants I could pair with a dressy shirt if I can find something.

If it was my reunion I would probably just ask others what they were going to wear.

"Don't let anyone who hasn't been in your shoes tell you how to tie your laces."

D-day April 2010

id 8803939

Superesse ( member #60731) posted at 12:00 AM on Friday, August 11th, 2023

PM sent.

posts: 2073   ·   registered: Sep. 22nd, 2017   ·   location: Washington D C area
id 8803951

Catwoman ( member #1330) posted at 1:05 PM on Thursday, August 17th, 2023

I would think a nice, not overly dressy dress or sharp slacks with a jacket would be perfect. I like having the option of a jacket because I'm always cold.

I love Talbot's for these sorts of things, but I've become a bit of a Nordie's shopper recently. I bought a Maggy London dress for my daughter's rehearsal dinner that I just loved, so I bought the same dress in a different color for my mother's funeral service.

Cat

FBS: Married 20 years, 2 daughters 27 and 24. Divorced by the grace of GOD.
D-Days: 2/23/93; 10/11/97; 3/5/03
Ex & OW Broke up 12-10
"An erection does not count as personal growth."

posts: 33182   ·   registered: Apr. 5th, 2003   ·   location: Ohio
id 8804672

zebra25 (original poster member #29431) posted at 9:38 PM on Friday, August 18th, 2023

Thanks Cat!!

D-day April 2010

id 8804935

Chaos ( member #61031) posted at 11:12 PM on Thursday, September 14th, 2023

I say wear whatever makes you feel like a million bucks - and some super fabulous undergarments as well.

BS-me/WH-4.5yrLTA Married 2+ decades - Children (1 still at home) Multiple DDays w/same AP until I told OBS 2018 Cease & Desist sent spring 2021"Hello–My name is Chaos–You f***ed my husband-Prepare to Die!"

posts: 3803   ·   registered: Oct. 13th, 2017   ·   location: East coast
id 8807851

Shehawk ( member #68741) posted at 3:55 PM on Sunday, September 17th, 2023

I am with Chaos on this
I used laugh at spans. But I am a believer now. I don’t buy too tight because I like to breathe and eat. But it gives the dress a nice line.
White House black market has some classy dresses. I also hit up TJ max and consignment places.

"It's a slow fade...when you give yourself away" so don't do it!

posts: 1678   ·   registered: Nov. 5th, 2018   ·   location: US
id 8808283

Shehawk ( member #68741) posted at 3:55 PM on Sunday, September 17th, 2023

Spanx
Autocorrect makes me look like an idiot because it changes as I am sending.

"It's a slow fade...when you give yourself away" so don't do it!

posts: 1678   ·   registered: Nov. 5th, 2018   ·   location: US
id 8808284

EvenKeel ( member #24210) posted at 2:24 PM on Thursday, September 21st, 2023

This reunion is in PA.

I live here and attended "American Legion" type reunions. The attire is ALL over the place from cut off jean shorts to very nice dresses. You will see it all. Wear what YOU feel most comfortable in! I can't remember if I ended up wearing dress pants and a nicer blouse....or a casual dress with a light sweater (due to temps).

posts: 6904   ·   registered: May. 31st, 2009   ·   location: Pennsylvania
id 8808680

zebra25 (original poster member #29431) posted at 9:13 PM on Friday, September 22nd, 2023

Time is almost up. I'm leaning towards wearing a black dress but I would rather wear pants. I don't love wearing dresses and it's going to be rainy and chilly.

Good thought on the spanx!! As much as I detest those things I'm 58 and can use a little help. laugh

I'm not sure I am going to feel like more than 100 bucks but I will try!!

Thanks for all the input!!!

D-day April 2010

id 8808995

emergent8 ( Guide #58189) posted at 10:53 PM on Friday, September 22nd, 2023

Does the invite specify dresscode? If not, I'd assume that the default for this type of an event would be cocktail and you probably can't go wrong with a LBD or a sheath dress. My vote is that it's better to be overdressed than underdressed (obviously avoid a full on prom gown laugh ).

If you're on the fence sure, I love a jumpsuit for something like this - especially if you feel more comfortable in pants. It feels more casual than a dress but it's more special and chic.

Check out Nordstrom online. There is a tie waist Tuxedo Jumpsuit by Adrianna Papell that I think would be super flattering and perfect for this sort of event in September. If you don't love that, Revolve is also a great place for online shopping and has lots of options. One that pops out to me is crushed velvet "Hart Jumpsuit" by a brand called Lovers and Friends.

Good luck!

Me: BS. Him: WS.
D-Day: Feb 2017 (8 m PA with married COW).
Happily reconciled.

id 8809018

zebra25 (original poster member #29431) posted at 2:27 PM on Tuesday, September 26th, 2023

Thanks for the suggestions emergent.

I decided at the last minute to wear black pants and a nice shirt. I ended up being happy with my choice.

EvenKeel was right. The outfits were all over the place. Everything from fancy over the top dresses to lots of jeans.

Thanks again for all the replies!!

D-day April 2010

id 8809437

WhatsRight ( member #35417) posted at 10:06 PM on Tuesday, September 26th, 2023

Did you have a nice time?

I just love reunions…mine, or my H’s, or anyones!

(Did you ever go to a high school reunion and put on the wrong name tag? You can tell who knows you and who doesn’t, because if they call you by your fake name tag name, then… They are bullshitting you!)

"Noone can make you feel inferior without your concent." Eleanor Roosevelt

I will not be vanquished. Rose Kennedy

posts: 8218   ·   registered: Apr. 23rd, 2012   ·   location: Southeast USA
id 8809491

zebra25 (original poster member #29431) posted at 10:49 PM on Tuesday, September 26th, 2023

We did have a nice time!! It was not my reunion but there were some very friendly classmates and spouses there.

I did ask one classmate if she remembered me. She apologized and said she did not and laughed when I told her I was not a classmate. laugh

D-day April 2010

id 8809498
Topic is Sleeping.
Cookies on SurvivingInfidelity.com®

SurvivingInfidelity.com® uses cookies to enhance your visit to our website. This is a requirement for participants to login, post and use other features. Visitors may opt out, but the website will be less functional for you.

v.1.001.20240712a 2002-2024 SurvivingInfidelity.com® All Rights Reserved. • Privacy Policy