Cookies are required for login or registration. Please read and agree to our cookie policy to continue.

Newest Member: Ncg88

Off Topic :
Deadlifting/benchpress endorphins? Fun?

Topic is Sleeping.

Shehawk (original poster member #68741) posted at 4:54 AM on Wednesday, March 1st, 2023

Curious if anyone has ever deadlifted for fun at the gym.

I have a "free" gym membership and a willing lifting partner so crossed trying a deadlift off of my bucket list

Decided I liked it. Added benchpress in for fun.

Actually feel pretty amazing.

This hands down beats how I have been feeling since that which we don't talk about.

Wondered anyone else's experiences with lifting heavier weights.

"It's a slow fade...when you give yourself away" so don't do it!

posts: 1712   ·   registered: Nov. 5th, 2018   ·   location: US
id 8779941

leafields ( Guide #63517) posted at 6:27 AM on Wednesday, March 1st, 2023

A cousin of XWH had a gym near our house, until it burned. I used to go to the gym twice a day. The adduction/abduction machine really helped my hip extensiors. I used to be able to do a pec pop. LOL!

One time the zoomba instructor was going, Woo, good session, I'm beat...I wasn't.

I'm so NOT there, but was very proud of myself for being in good shape. Now I'm more like round is a shape, right?

BW M 34years, Dday 1: March 2018, Dday 2: August 2019, D final 2/25/21

posts: 3735   ·   registered: Apr. 21st, 2018   ·   location: Washington State
id 8779950

Bigger ( Attaché #8354) posted at 1:15 PM on Wednesday, March 1st, 2023

I absolutely love doing free-weights as opposed to machinery. To get any sort of results you need to combine strength with coordination and technique and that combination let’s you make relatively quick progress. Bench-press is about 60% strength, but you won’t get beyond that without coordination and technique. Get those two lined up and you start seeing increases in weight lifted. Even if the goal isn’t to max your weight the coordination and technique also benefit your physique and health.
I noticed that when using a machine I could maybe build up or maintain muscle, but when I used a barbell or free weights I would tone the muscles. Probably because more effort is placed on keeping the lift on the correct path and also because you get more benefit on the down/release part.

"If, therefore, any be unhappy, let him remember that he is unhappy by reason of himself alone." Epictetus

id 8779977

Hannah47 ( member #80116) posted at 2:46 PM on Wednesday, March 1st, 2023

Curious if anyone has ever deadlifted for fun at the gym.

Nope, you're the first one ever tongue grin

I have a certain health issue due to which high intensity cardio and endurance training are anything but fun for me. I "discovered" strength training around 5 years ago. Free weights, low reps / heavy weights, progressive overload did the trick for me. I used to go to the gym, but had to pause during the pandemic, as the gyms were closed. That’s when I decided to setup a home gym. Nothing special – squat rack, bench, barbell, dumbbell bars, and plates – all I need. I lift 4x per week, I mostly do compound lifts, with some isolation / activation exercises. Deadlift is my strongest lift.

This is my therapy; a barbell is the best IC ever. Not only that you train your body, you also train your mind to do things which are hard. Let’s not kid ourselves – there’s nothing fun about lifting heavy stuff off the ground. I sometimes look at that loaded bar on the floor, and it takes me a good 5 minutes to force myself to go pick it up. Because I know it will be hard. What’s fun about it is to see what you can do with your body. I also like the sense of accomplishment and a progress that you can actually measure. Sure, there are days when my training feels like a chore. However, I know I’m hooked because on days like this one, when I’m on vacation, I miss my barbell.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm."
She whispers back, "I am the storm."

id 8780001

FaithFool ( member #20150) posted at 3:51 PM on Wednesday, March 1st, 2023

Me me me! When I was doing my degree a few years back I opened a student Prime account and got free shipping for the gym-quality chrome dumbells and a bench. I tend to go months ignoring it in my bedroom but I've been back at it since Christmas to try and bust off some hibernation flab. It really is the best feeling ever. smile

DDay: June 15, 2008
Mistakenly married Mr. Superfreak
20 years of OWs, WTF?
Divorced Dec 26, 2011
"Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget
to sing in the lifeboats". -- Voltaire

posts: 21575   ·   registered: Jul. 7th, 2008   ·   location: Canada
id 8780021

number4 ( member #62204) posted at 4:01 AM on Thursday, March 2nd, 2023

Thankfully, before the pandemic hit, we set up a small home gym in a finished room behind our garage and I had hired a trainer. We have a set of Powerblock adjustable dumbbells, a stepper, a flat bench (given to us) and an adjustable incline bench. I also have a pull-up bar, and several strength bands that I can use to assist me in pull-ups on the bar. Also have a set of gymnastic rings that attach to the pull-up bar and do various stretches, or even a plank with the rings hanging a few inches off of the floor (the one thing I'm better than H at!); can also do rows with the rings.

All to say, while I don't have a squat rack or barbell, those adjustable weights allow me to do pretty much anything that those offer. Pre-that-time-we-never-talk-about on here, I lifted some pretty heavy weights for someone my age. Then I lost a bunch of weight because I wasn't eating enough and my weights went down. I remember about eight years ago, my previous trainer telling me I bench pressed more weight than any woman he'd trained before. None of my trainers have ever been very big on using machines, except leg press (which I obviously don't have now).

I found my current trainer almost two years ago, and told him my preferred style of workout was set training. So we use the adjustable weights and pull-up bar the most. The only dead lift I do is a Roman dead lift with my adjustables. A workout consists of five different exercises that we do in a round, then do three rounds.

I realize I'm very fortunate in being able to have a trainer come to my home twice a week. Because I get so easily distracted by my thoughts when I'm working out, sometimes my form needs correcting - I want to lift heavy, but with good form. While I do rest for a bit between exercises, I do need a longer break between sets. It kicks my butt. Lately I've been dealing with a shoulder that talks to me, so we've had to really lower my weight on my overhead press. And I overextended my TFL last fall, spending too much time on the ground one day doing garden work at our church. So I have to be careful, and having a trainer helps me to make adaptations to exercise as we go along. Otherwise, if something hurts, it would be my inclination to just skip it, as opposed to finding a different way to adapt that exercise so I can still work a certain group of muscles. When I'm lifting heavier (for me), I like having a spotter, for instance when I'm doing a bench press.

I also do Pilates twice a week at a studio, one of those times with a physical therapist. So I tweak things with her, too. I think there's a lot to be said about the two approaches actually complementing each other. At Pilates, they're always showing me more ways to progress a movement through destabilization. At that point, it becomes just as much of a brain exercise as a full-body exercise!

My anxiety is always higher on the days I do not work out. I usually try to at least take the dog for a longer walk those days, weather permitting. So yea, it is a form of therapy for me. We are in the process of planning a renovation for our new house on the East Coast, where we'll move to probably toward the end of this year. A priority for us is to put our gym equipment in the basement - but our basement ceilings are low, so we're actually going to have to excavate a small 6'x6' area so that when we're on the stepper, our heads won't hit the ceiling, and when we're (OK, H only) doing shoulder presses, the weights won't hit the ceiling.

I've finally gotten to the point in my life, though, that I give myself permission to back off on an exercise on a particular day if I'm just not feeling it, and not beat myself up over it. Last summer when we spent three weeks with our daughter 3000 miles away after she had her baby, I didn't really do anything other than lift/hold that baby, and walk. When I got back home, we had to decrease weights and take time to build them back up. In the past, that would have killed me, but now I know I can take some time off (I was sick most of this January, too), or sometimes I just tell my trainer - I need to move today, and I'm not looking to push myself. Because I know I'll feel like shit if I don't move at all.

Me: BWHim: WHMarried - 30+ yearsTwo adult daughters1st affair: 2005-20072nd-4th affairs: 2016-2017Many assessments/polygraph: no sex addictionStatus: R

posts: 1358   ·   registered: Jan. 10th, 2018   ·   location: New England
id 8780180

Shehawk (original poster member #68741) posted at 3:55 AM on Friday, March 17th, 2023

I enjoyed reading the responses! Thanks!

"This is my therapy; a barbell is the best IC ever. Not only that you train your body, you also train your mind to do things which are hard."

id 8782557

Jeaniegirl ( member #6370) posted at 7:15 PM on Friday, March 17th, 2023

My contribution to this is .... I do PLAN to start! After the lung removal surgery, I have lost too much weight and it was weight I cannot afford to lose. I'm right below 100 lbs now. I've lost muscle and some skin appears to be 'stretched over bones." So I definitely want to regain weight and muscle and I realize I have to have the help of a professional to do that. My appetite is starting to return so hopefully the weight loss will go away.

Congrats to all of you for doing this. One things for uure, I now realize that without good health, we are really in trouble.

"Because I deserve better"

id 8782769

WhatsRight ( member #35417) posted at 3:25 PM on Saturday, March 18th, 2023

If I get the urge to exercise, I lie down till it goes away! 😊

"Noone can make you feel inferior without your concent." Eleanor Roosevelt

I will not be vanquished. Rose Kennedy

posts: 8225   ·   registered: Apr. 23rd, 2012   ·   location: Southeast USA
id 8782869

sisoon ( Moderator #31240) posted at 6:00 PM on Sunday, March 19th, 2023

had a friend wh did competitive lifting. I visited him with 4 year old son one time as he was finishing a workout with a clean and jerk. He went through the usual and understandable routine of addressing the weights, backing off, psyching himself up, addressing the weight, backing off... then he did the lift.

'You didn't hold it up very long,' said my son.

I really love kids. The way they soak up everything around them, the way they think they know what they need to know, the way they speak their minds.... Not on that occasion, however. smile

fBH (me) - on d-day: 66, Married 43, together 45, same sex ap
DDay - 12/22/2010
Recover'd and R'ed
You don't have to like your boundaries. You just have to set and enforce them.

posts: 30215   ·   registered: Feb. 18th, 2011   ·   location: Illinois
id 8783039

BrokenheartedUK ( member #43520) posted at 7:09 PM on Sunday, March 19th, 2023

Absolutely!! I can definitely get a high from lifting. I have been going to CrossFit for almost ten years. The one hour classes incorporate Olympic lifts and a cardio (although some times the lifts are cardio!!) and you work on technique as a preliminary exercise. It’s also great for building community and I love that part too. I know that CrossFit can be intimidating but you should check out your nearest one. I’m not very strong but I can see progress. I would also suggest that you start increasing your protein as well. That more than consistency has made a big difference to how much I can lift.

Me: BS
He cheated and then lied. Apparently cheaters lie. Huh. 13 months of false R. Divorced! 8/16 3 teenage kids
"The barn's burnt down
Now
I can see the moon"
-Mizuta Masahide

id 8783046

Tanner ( Guide #72235) posted at 5:13 PM on Wednesday, March 22nd, 2023

I have never been into fitness or working out. I discovered it after Dday to occupy my mind. Then I started having results, lost 50lbs and have maintained my goal weight for 3 years. It boosted my self esteem and my healing.

It is the best IC.

Dday Sept 7 2019 doing well in R BH M 32 years

posts: 3544   ·   registered: Dec. 5th, 2019   ·   location: Texas DFW
id 8783471

Shehawk (original poster member #68741) posted at 3:31 AM on Friday, March 24th, 2023

Some of your stories made me laugh :)
Thanks!
Sisoon and what'sright thanks for making me smile :)

Tanner good to know I am not the only one. I am in remission for Lyme disease probably for the first time in decades or as long as I can remember and I enjoy walking fast up a hill carrying weight...I did "hills" a couple of days ago.

Good to know it's endorphins :)

id 8783714

Shehawk (original poster member #68741) posted at 3:32 AM on Friday, March 24th, 2023

And broken hearted UK
#lifegoals :)

id 8783715
Topic is Sleeping.
Cookies on SurvivingInfidelity.com®

SurvivingInfidelity.com® uses cookies to enhance your visit to our website. This is a requirement for participants to login, post and use other features. Visitors may opt out, but the website will be less functional for you.

v.1.001.20240905a 2002-2024 SurvivingInfidelity.com® All Rights Reserved. • Privacy Policy