Cookies are required for login or registration. Please read and agree to our cookie policy to continue.

Newest Member: Brokenhearted3663

Off Topic :
Formula Shortages

Topic is Sleeping.

annb (original poster member #22386) posted at 12:53 AM on Thursday, May 12th, 2022

...are hitting home.

My son lives in FL. They could not find my first grandchild's formula. Anywhere. They ended up having to switch formulas, and there was only one canister available.

I live in NJ and WH is currently living/working in TX. Both of us visited 8 stores each today, he was able to secure one canister of baby formula, I found two at the last CVS I visited. The cashier was kind enough to give me two after I explained what I had been doing the past several hours.

Anyone else having issues? The shelves in all of the stores both of us visited were literally empty. sad

Local news interviewing parents who are having similar issues, some traveling up to two hours just to get formula.

Now off to mail them so my granddaughter can eat. sad

posts: 12195   ·   registered: Jan. 10th, 2009   ·   location: Northeast
id 8734778

DragnHeart ( member #32122) posted at 2:23 AM on Thursday, May 12th, 2022

I've watched a few videos on this and as I understand it it's due to a recall of formula by the largest manufacturer due to contamination.

I know first hand grocery stores order based on previous sales. They usually have a set number of items on each week's order with small numbers of extra stock.

When a recall happens this causes panic and people start buying up any extra stock further compounding the issues (just like with the toilet paper shortage).

Formula isn't the only way to feed a baby. My father was allergic to anything based off cows milk. He was raised on whole goats milk.

I also follow a woman who just brought out a new children's book. She's a scientist and astronaut. She had a baby not long ago. She was flying without her child and had her freezer packs for her breast milk taken by TSA at the airport. This caused a shit storm of woman telling their stories of how their actual breast milk was taken, or tested, or dumped.

I know dairy farmers who started their kids off on cows milk by 9 months of age.

While only ds ever breast fed, I pumped and supplemented with formula for dd and the twins. I also started them on pureed foods as soon as I could (again minus dd since she was a picky eater, I tried and failed with her...).

Personally if I had a baby now I think I'd go thr goats milk route until I knew for sure the formula manufacturer figured out where the contamination came from.

Me: BS 46 WH: 37 (BrokenHeart911)Four little dragons. Met 2006. Married 2008. Dday of LTPA with co worker October 19th 2010. Knew about EA with ow1 before that. Now up to PA #5. Serial fucking Cheater.

posts: 25823   ·   registered: May. 10th, 2011   ·   location: Canada
id 8734790

leafields ( Guide #63517) posted at 2:34 AM on Thursday, May 12th, 2022

Local stores are limiting how much formula can be purchased at a time, and shelves are empty.

Many years agk, my MIL said they used to mix water and evaporated milk.

BW M 34years, Dday 1: March 2018, Dday 2: August 2019, D final 2/25/21

posts: 3734   ·   registered: Apr. 21st, 2018   ·   location: Washington State
id 8734794

Jeaniegirl ( member #6370) posted at 5:28 AM on Thursday, May 12th, 2022

I recall my Mom talking about using evaporated milk plus water plus white syrup and making her own formula for my younger sister. I agree with Dragn, goat's milk is supposed to be really good too.

This may be the wave of the future, shortages of food. I've been reading about it for a couple of years. We are so spoiled to large supermarkets always having everything we need. The larger store near me has had bare shelves for months - sometimes just one of each item or none at all.

"Because I deserve better"

id 8734810

MIgander ( member #71285) posted at 3:39 PM on Thursday, May 12th, 2022

Seconding the goats milk. In older times before the advent of formula, women who couldn't nurse would rely on either a wet nurse or a goat.

Also, nowadays we have breast milk banks in some areas. Not sure whether or not there's any facebook groups or anything you could use to reach out to to ask for local nursing women to assist with pumping extra for your grandbaby. It's weird and kind of gross to our minds, but it's no different than what women who couldn't nurse did before formula. A more sanitized version "wet nurse."

When I pumped for my DS, I produced enough for twins. Caused A TON of stretch marks on my boobs, but slimmed me down quickly laugh .

I know I'm not the only woman who could produce excess milk, hopefully by appealing to social media, desperate families can find creative (if not somewhat... icky?) solutions to this.

My heart goes out to everyone, I was terrified enough when DS couldn't latch and then my milk failed at 9mos. I can't even think what new moms are going through right now.

WW/BW Dday July 2019. BH/WH- multiple EA's. Denial ain't just a river in Egypt.

posts: 1189   ·   registered: Aug. 15th, 2019   ·   location: Michigan
id 8734858

leafields ( Guide #63517) posted at 4:55 PM on Thursday, May 12th, 2022

My younger 2 DS were lactose intolerant and were on soy formula. I tried goat milk, but they weren't able to handle it.

I feel for the parents whose children have severe allergies and need specialty formula. I used to work with a lady whose DD was allergic to all kinds of protein and had to be on special formula. I couldn't imagine not being able to get it.

BW M 34years, Dday 1: March 2018, Dday 2: August 2019, D final 2/25/21

posts: 3734   ·   registered: Apr. 21st, 2018   ·   location: Washington State
id 8734865

pureheartkit ( member #62345) posted at 5:20 AM on Wednesday, May 18th, 2022

I'm sad for everyone too.

There is a camel ranch that came to the fair. Camel's milk is easily digested and very high in vit. C. Unfortunately fresh camel milk isn't approved for sale in USA at this time. They sell soap and creams in the meantime. They had imported canned and powdered milk but said its not like the fresh milk they hope to provide. I was petting the Camel's. They're soft and sweet. Come right up to be petted and brushed. I asked about the bad reputation. She said if you treat them well they aren't bad tempered. They raised the Camels like pets and never were unkind to them. I could have petted those Camel's all day.

Wonder if the dairy goats are being sought out by people. Most city people are scrambling in a panic. Can't we get some from Canada or fly in from Europe or South America? What good is global connection if you can't even feed babies in an emergency. Bless everyone trying to figure this out.

Thank you everyone for your wisdom and healing.

id 8735804
Topic is Sleeping.
Cookies on SurvivingInfidelity.com®

SurvivingInfidelity.com® uses cookies to enhance your visit to our website. This is a requirement for participants to login, post and use other features. Visitors may opt out, but the website will be less functional for you.

v.1.001.20240905a 2002-2024 SurvivingInfidelity.com® All Rights Reserved. • Privacy Policy