Cookies are required for login or registration. Please read and agree to our cookie policy to continue.

Newest Member: Ncg88

Reconciliation :
10 years and still angry/resentful

Topic is Sleeping.

trc123 (original poster new member #84214) posted at 10:56 PM on Friday, December 1st, 2023

Do you have anyone to talk to about this besides your WW and the people here? I'm very private about my personal life. I have never spoken to anyone about her A. And, I don't have anyone that i would feel comfortable talking with about it, friends wise.

Has your WW eliminated the friends who knew about or encouraged your WWs affair? Yes.

posts: 8   ·   registered: Dec. 1st, 2023   ·   location: OKC, OK
id 8817081

Hippo16 ( member #52440) posted at 1:46 AM on Saturday, December 2nd, 2023

trc123

My wife served me the Merde Panini back in the early '80s. I was maybe # 5 or #8 on her list of dudes she had been with.
Then she added another -

Trust never restored - and still have anxiety and a dislike to be around her when the time crosses my mind. Resentment? Maybe a little. But not enough to dislike her. Having a memory that can recall details from "way back" is a mixed blessing.

Why stay? We share political and religious/moral (well, mostly) views. She has put up with my moods and worked hard and still works to be a "good wife" in every way. She takes care of our finances - that I trust. To "go out with the girls." Nah.
Won't object in any way - but I pay attention to every detail about her activity. Not playing PI - just paying attention.

Given she has two children when we got together, and several other "boyfriends" before settling on me - I kind of look at her as
this person who, in my mind, is my ideal wife, but yet, she is tainted and nothing I can do will ever change that.

I tell you this as I'm content, happy most days (except when I get called @ 2AM to work) - and know that I would have a very hard time finding someone who shares the likes we do have together.

Telling you this as I think you need to inventory your thoughts and bits and pieces of your situation. My opinion is you can accept and work on yourself to accept that got to chomp that famous Merde Panini. Or, get a lawyer and start proceedings.

Happiness comes from within and you must adjust to your environment - or change your environment to suit.

It is a long road and not much fun at times along the way. 10 years - there is some bit somewhere in your person that is not yet accepting your fate. Find it and act to change that bit.

BTW/FWIW - Just as I about had hard evidence of her transgression - she came home and confessed (while emotionally blowing all her circuit breakers) and begged, while groveling on the floor, to not kick her to the curb.

Make a choice - stay and fix that bit - or walk.

There's no troubled marriage that can't be made worse with adultery.If you’re looking for an adrenaline rush, why not bungee jumping off a bridge span? For an extra thrill, don’t anchor the cord.

posts: 927   ·   registered: Mar. 26th, 2016   ·   location: OBX
id 8817095

Talisman ( member #75398) posted at 4:46 AM on Saturday, December 2nd, 2023

How exactly did you catch your wife (I believe you said you caught her as opposed to her confessing on her own)? When you did find out, how did you confront her and did she deny at first and then trickle truth till you finally got the whole truth?

posts: 106   ·   registered: Sep. 11th, 2020   ·   location: UK
id 8817105

Nexther ( new member #83430) posted at 3:01 PM on Saturday, December 2nd, 2023

Or, get a lawyer and start proceedings.

This is basically what I was trying to say. Maybe the OP should have posted in General? I just don’t think he’s in reconciliation if he’s sickened at the touch of his WW. He asked how to get over his anger and I told him how I did it. Sorry if I broke a rule WOES.

posts: 36   ·   registered: Jun. 7th, 2023   ·   location: Nunya, USA
id 8817131

sisoon ( Moderator #31240) posted at 8:55 PM on Saturday, December 2nd, 2023

You're not having sex with her, and that was one of the reasons, she says, that she cheated. As Hellfire and the rest of us say, she's lying to herself - she cheated all on her own; you didn't make her cheat. Also, I imagine you've got some fear that she'll cheat again and/or dump you because of no sex now.

I think IC is a great choice. I recommend you ask your W to set one of her goals for IC as 'change from betrayer to good partner.' The A is in the past, and the past can't be changed. If your W takes responsibility for her actions and works to change to become a good partner, you can have a good future with her. If you defuse your anger, you can make a free decision whether you want to make a good future with her.

If she won't do the necessary work, you probably can't have a good future with her. That's pretty scary, because it forces you to D, on one hand, or doom yourself to an unhappy life.

If you find a decent IC, you'll get help processing your anger out of your system and finding the strength you need to R or D.

Give up trying to control the outcome. Have some faith in yourself to do what you need to do. The strength you need is already in you, but you need some help finding it.

fBH (me) - on d-day: 66, Married 43, together 45, same sex ap
DDay - 12/22/2010
Recover'd and R'ed
You don't have to like your boundaries. You just have to set and enforce them.

posts: 30215   ·   registered: Feb. 18th, 2011   ·   location: Illinois
id 8817157

Justsomeguy ( member #65583) posted at 2:57 AM on Sunday, December 3rd, 2023

I would agree. This doesn't sound like R. More like limbo to me. It sounds like you rugswept after the A, and it's coming back to haunt you. White knuckling will only work for so long. You also sound like you've hit the contemptbstage, which according to Gottman, is a tough one to come back from. But not impossible.

I tried R, but it didn't work for me. Financially, I would have been better off staying in the M, but I didn't have the luxury of a remorseful WW. plus, she didnt/doesn't have the EQ to navigate healing what she broke. Hopefully, yours does.

I think you need to sit down with her and start from scratch. Rewind to Dday and do the recommended work that gets promoted here. Timeline, full transparency, IC, etc. Then at least you know things. It will give you a sense of agency back and then you can decide what it is you want.

I'm an oulier in my positions.

Me:55 STBXWW:55 DD#1: false confession of EA Dec. 2016. False R for a year.DD#2: confessed to year long PA Dec. 2 2017 (was about to be outed)Called it off and filed. Denied having an affair in court papers.

Divorced 20

posts: 1849   ·   registered: Jul. 25th, 2018   ·   location: Canada
id 8817178

standinghere ( member #34689) posted at 3:07 AM on Sunday, December 3rd, 2023

I truly believed that there was zero chance that my wife would have ever cheated.

The greater the trust, the deeper the wound of the betrayal. I was this way, trusted my wife completely. Her father, mother, sisters, all cheaters in their family lives. She hated it, despised it. She joined them eventually. Who did she blame? Me of course.

She said that I didn't show her affection and that I wasn't intimate with her. Both true to some degree.

This is what cheaters do, you will see it referred to as "the cheaters handbook". Almost everyone does the same thing when they cheat; cheat, justify it in their own mind, sneak around, deny when questioned, lie when caught, minimize when confessing, and blame the BS. You actually don't know why she cheated. The real reason she cheated is much more complex, and much harder to process.

She said she had sex with him 3-4 times over a few months.

Almost all WS's lie about this and many other aspects of the affair. Yours may be the exception. However, she blamed you, he was single, and like many others she probably never told you the full truth.

Our sex life is pretty much non-existent, because touching, or being intimate with her in any way makes me want to cringe, because of what she did. Harsh, but true.

Sometimes you just need to move on. Understand this, know this, accept this. The marriage that you had was destroyed, completely. Thus far, the two of you have failed to build a new one. If you cannot, there is no failure in moving on without each other, currently you are doing that, but just living in the same house.

I'm very private about my personal life. I have never spoken to anyone about her A.

This is the most important reason to get IC. However, IC will not heal your marriage. MC is where you go to work on that aspect. Hard to find a good one. We did, second time around, and six months in, after cautious steady work by the counselor, my FWS broke down and the confessions rolled out, the remorse truly began, the real work on the marriage rebuilding started. This was 9 years after the affair. But, my wife, who wanted to go to MC, sat in the MC office and blamed me repeatedly for her cheating, month after month after month. It took four years of MC.

IC will help you process your feelings, your responses to the current crisis, and your week to week as well as day today, and minute, 10 minute emotional swings that will occur. It may also help you develop clarity around your own feelings, which may help you with the direction you want to go with your relationship.

As somebody else said, let go of the end result, work to get to a healthy place, whether that healthy place is with your current spouse or not. For 10 years, you, and your spouse, have rugswept her cheating, that is a lot to unwind and process.

As you go through this, keep in mind that your wife cheated because of her own personal internal issues, not because of issues with the marriage, not because of issues with you, but because of her issues.

You are not one of those issues.

The marriage is not one of those issues.

If the sex life in our marriage, or our lack of true intimacy at other levels, had been a valid reason to cheat, I would've cheated many many times. What I found out in marital counseling was that I was the only one actually truly working on trying to improve those parts of our marriage.

At the time of my wife's confession, and the onset of true remorse, we had been married for 18 years. My wife had been lying to me from the day we met. I had never, and still have never lied to her.

She wanted to be open and honest, but didn't know how to do it, had never been in a relationship where any such thing existed, had grown up in an environment where everybody lied to everybody else all the time, about everything. She was so full of resentment and rage about her childhood and her parents and other things in her past, that she never truly fully and openly talked about, and constructively dealt with, that she had to blame me for some of it.

[This message edited by standinghere at 3:10 AM, Sunday, December 3rd]

FBH - Me - Betrayal in late 30's (now much older)
FWS - Her - Affair in late 30's (now much older )
4 Children
Her - Love of my life...still is.
Reconciled BUT!

posts: 1684   ·   registered: Jan. 31st, 2012   ·   location: USA
id 8817179

HellFire ( member #59305) posted at 2:36 PM on Sunday, December 3rd, 2023

It is normal to be angry and resentful, towards someone who did something terrible to you,and then they blamed you,and didn't do the work to become a safe person.

I'd go so far as to say it would be unhealthy for you to just accept the blame,and swallow your feelings.

But you are what you did
And I'll forget you, but I'll never forgive
The smallest man who ever lived..

posts: 6787   ·   registered: Jun. 20th, 2017   ·   location: The Midwest
id 8817192

gr8ful ( member #58180) posted at 3:08 PM on Tuesday, December 5th, 2023

I’m surprised this hasn’t been mentioned yet, but the foundation of a successful R is 100% truth. You don’t even know the identity of OM. How the hell is not knowing this ok with you??

You need the full truth, if nothing else, to know exactly what you are forgiving.

id 8817357
Topic is Sleeping.
Cookies on SurvivingInfidelity.com®

SurvivingInfidelity.com® uses cookies to enhance your visit to our website. This is a requirement for participants to login, post and use other features. Visitors may opt out, but the website will be less functional for you.

v.1.001.20240905a 2002-2024 SurvivingInfidelity.com® All Rights Reserved. • Privacy Policy