Cookies are required for login or registration. Please read and agree to our cookie policy to continue.

Newest Member: Brokenhearted3663

Off Topic :
How much do you pay to get your hair colored?

Topic is Sleeping.

SacredSoul33 (original poster member #83038) posted at 10:23 PM on Thursday, October 12th, 2023

I love my stylist; she's a dear friend, she does beautiful work, and I've been seeing her for at least ten years, but I had to break up with her today. I had an appointment scheduled for tomorrow, but had to cancel it when she sent me a flier noting her new prices.

About three years ago, I was paying her under $200, including a 25% tip, to get partial highlights, root touch-ups, and a cut. And sometimes I got vivids, which were a little more. Her prices slowly crept up to about $250 with tip. I've never paid more than $300, even when I got vivids.

Her new prices are $300 MINIMUM for traditional hair color. shocked $600 minimum for vivids or balayage. shocked $100 minimum for cut and style. shocked

I called my BFF's stylist and made an appointment with him for next week. I asked how much it would be and the receptionist said "About $120 for partial and root touch-up." Hallelujah! My BFF's hair is great, so I have high hopes.

Last time I got my hair done, I told her that I wanted to try growing it out to see what's under there. I was considering sucking it up and going through the grow-out process because I couldn't stomach the thought of paying $250 every six weeks. Now I don't have to! Hell, I may ask the new guy how much it'd be to get full highlights. grin

Remove the "I want you to like me" sticker from your forehead and place it on the mirror, where it belongs. ~ Susan Jeffers

Your nervous system will always choose a familiar hell over an unfamiliar heaven.

id 8811384

SackOfSorry ( member #83195) posted at 11:33 PM on Thursday, October 12th, 2023

I finally stopped colouring and grew it out about 2 years ago. So my prices are not exactly current, plus I'm in Canada. I was going to a woman who sometimes rents a chair at someone else's shop, did own her own shop for a bit, and eventually just started doing it out of her home. I was paying under $100 including the tip! I would have colour/roots, highlights (foils) and cut/style. My hair grows super fast so I'd have to go every 5 weeks, and it's also super thick.

I'm happy I grew it out. I'm happy to save the time and expense, and I kinda dig the way my hair looks now. Some people think I'm paying for *this* colour!

Me - BW
DDay - May 4, 2013

And nothing's quite as sure as change. (The Mamas and the Papas)

id 8811392

tushnurse ( member #21101) posted at 11:39 PM on Thursday, October 12th, 2023

That is insane. I dont know how long your hair is but that seems excessive. My BF from childhood does mine and I have short hair, she usually does blond and brown foils and a cut. I'm in and out in a little over 1 hour. I pay $60 she charges me less but she does good work.
I would love to stop coloring it but my gray is not even enough yet.

Me: FBSHim: FWSKids: 23 & 27 Married for 32 years now, was 16 at the time.D-Day Sept 26 2008R'd in about 2 years. Old Vet now.

posts: 20243   ·   registered: Oct. 1st, 2008   ·   location: St. Louis
id 8811394

zebra25 ( member #29431) posted at 11:51 PM on Thursday, October 12th, 2023

Wow!!! shocked

I was paying $100-120 for color and a cut for medium length hair.

My stylist retired over a year ago and I switched to home coloring. My sister does it for me. I can't tell the difference. My appointments were always 2-2.5 hours and sometimes 3. I am much happier not doing that anymore. I can't wait to stop coloring.

My cuts are under $50 including tip.

"Don't let anyone who hasn't been in your shoes tell you how to tie your laces."

D-day April 2010

id 8811395

number4 ( member #62204) posted at 12:30 AM on Friday, October 13th, 2023

I think it all depends on where you live. I've been getting my hair colored/root touch-ups for nine years. When I was in the Midwest, it was the cheapest... probably around $120, including tip. That included a cut.

When I was in SoCal, I was paying around $230, which included tip, for a color and cut.

In the Boston area, I'm paying $163 for color and cut, plus 20% tip. So it's less than LA, but more than the Midwest. Everything in LA and Boston is more expensive than the Midwest, so I've had to adjust my expectations.

I also give a generous gift of around $100 in the form of a gift card at the holidays.

I go about every 5-6 weeks.

Evidently there's a market for her price point, otherwise she wouldn't be raising her prices.

Me: BWHim: WHMarried - 30+ yearsTwo adult daughters1st affair: 2005-20072nd-4th affairs: 2016-2017Many assessments/polygraph: no sex addictionStatus: R

posts: 1358   ·   registered: Jan. 10th, 2018   ·   location: New England
id 8811400

BearlyBreathing ( member #55075) posted at 2:21 AM on Friday, October 13th, 2023

I’m in California and I pay about 200 to 225 with tip for highlights, low lights, and a cut. She’s great and I only have to redo it every 12 to 13 weeks. (Not covering grays - so far they are minimal).

Me: BS 57 (49 on d-day)Him: *who cares ;-) *. D-Day 8/15/2016 LTA. Kinda liking my new life :-)

**horrible typist, lots of edits to correct. :-/ **

posts: 6141   ·   registered: Sep. 10th, 2016   ·   location: Northern CA
id 8811412

Karmahasnomenu ( new member #83953) posted at 3:06 PM on Friday, October 13th, 2023

I’m in the Midwest. I have a very close friend (who started as a hairdresser) who comes to my house and does me, my mom, my aunt and cousin (and used to do my Grandma as well when she was alive) all in one day.

She charges $80 each for cut and color. I usually give her $140 because of the drive she makes to get here (it’s a good 2 hours), tip, and what I know to be the current cost elsewhere. She obviously under charges and I want to be respectful. I appreciate the hell out of her.

When I’ve been to the salon recently, (when we aren’t able to make our ‘hair days’ work) I’ve paid in the $200-$250 range plus tip for cut and color depending on the level of experience of the stylist, or $50-$80 for just cut. I’ve tried going to both high end salons and your more basic ‘walk-in’ places (cost at walk ins was more in the $30 for cut or $150 for cut and color) and I’ve had disappointments at both. I usually just make note and try elsewhere, and when I find someone good, I pay attention and pay the price, and keep them in my back pocket for when I need them. :)

id 8811478

SacredSoul33 (original poster member #83038) posted at 4:17 PM on Friday, October 13th, 2023

Evidently there's a market for her price point, otherwise she wouldn't be raising her prices.

Exactly. I knew the day would come when she'd price me out of being able to see her, but it snuck up on me! She's really creative and sort of Instagram-famous for her vivids. Also, she's pregnant and wants to work less. She's in a small salon that specializes in vivids, so my little highlight and root touch-up jobs weren't her thing, really, though she did a beautiful job. My BFF says her guy/my new guy is kind of a cookie-cutter, get-em-in, get-em-out stylist, but as long as it looks good, it's a trade I'm willing to make to pay less.

I'm happy I grew it out. I'm happy to save the time and expense, and I kinda dig the way my hair looks now. Some people think I'm paying for *this* colour!

That's what I'm hoping for! I may continue down this path and really see what's under there. I'm already 12 weeks in, but my hair is bra-strap-long, so it'll be a loooong process. I'll see how I feel next week before my appointment.

I think it all depends on where you live. I've been getting my hair colored/root touch-ups for nine years. When I was in the Midwest, it was the cheapest... probably around $120, including tip. That included a cut.

When I was in SoCal, I was paying around $230, which included tip, for a color and cut.

Exactly. I'm in the Dallas suburbs, so that's a big factor.

when I find someone good, I pay attention and pay the price, and keep them in my back pocket for when I need them.

Yes! It took me a few tries to find her. I LOVE her work, and was willing to pay the $250 with tip, but not $300 before tip. Assuming about a $50 tip, that'd be over $3k a year just for my hair! I can't do that.

Wish me luck with this new guy!

Remove the "I want you to like me" sticker from your forehead and place it on the mirror, where it belongs. ~ Susan Jeffers

Your nervous system will always choose a familiar hell over an unfamiliar heaven.

id 8811521

Shehawk ( member #68741) posted at 6:00 PM on Friday, October 13th, 2023

With a beginner tier aveda stylist which is a lower cost around $100 for a few highlights a few years ago.

Cost now starts at $200 so I have not highlighted for a few years.

"It's a slow fade...when you give yourself away" so don't do it!

posts: 1712   ·   registered: Nov. 5th, 2018   ·   location: US
id 8811540

SerJR ( member #14993) posted at 10:23 PM on Friday, October 13th, 2023

I got a guy at the airport that does it for 20 bucks...

Me: BH - Happily remarried.
Hope is never lost. It exists within you - it is real. It is not a force in and of itself - it is something that you create with every thought, action, and choice you make. It is a gift that you create for yourself.

posts: 18630   ·   registered: Jun. 15th, 2007   ·   location: Further North than South
id 8811606

SacredSoul33 (original poster member #83038) posted at 11:38 PM on Friday, October 13th, 2023

laugh

I started thinking about what a hassle it would be to stylist-shop again if I don't like this new guy, and I think I may have figured out a way to stick with my beloved stylist. I asked her today if she would be offended if I didn't tip her, and if I come every seven weeks instead of six. She's fine with both. She's my friend, so I felt okay asking her about the tipping. I wouldn't have done that if we weren't tight.

I did the math:

Every six weeks = 8.67 times per year @ $250 = $2167

Every seven weeks = 7.42 times per year @ $300 = $2226

Essentially the same cost. I'm a happy girl. smile

id 8811609

WhatsRight ( member #35417) posted at 11:51 PM on Friday, October 13th, 2023

Holy shit!!!

$2000 for hair? It really looks scary when you figure it out for a year.

I used to get mine highlighted about every 3 to 4 months and paid about $150 each time. And I thought that was a lot!

That has been many years ago.

Well, now my hair is a terrible awful mess… Has gone from a nice blonde to a medium, ugly shade of brown. And I can’t seem, even at 70 years old, to get any gray to come in. I was thinking about getting some highlights of blonde-ish and gray so that I could ease into the gray look. But, boy I can’t afford those prices!

Also, my hair is below my butt, so it would probably be so much more because of that.

😏

"Noone can make you feel inferior without your concent." Eleanor Roosevelt

I will not be vanquished. Rose Kennedy

posts: 8225   ·   registered: Apr. 23rd, 2012   ·   location: Southeast USA
id 8811612

SerJR ( member #14993) posted at 12:04 AM on Saturday, October 14th, 2023

Also, my hair is below my butt, so it would probably be so much more because of that.

Can you please clarify? Is that where it's growing from or to?

tongue laugh laugh

Hope is never lost. It exists within you - it is real. It is not a force in and of itself - it is something that you create with every thought, action, and choice you make. It is a gift that you create for yourself.

posts: 18630   ·   registered: Jun. 15th, 2007   ·   location: Further North than South
id 8811615

DragnHeart ( member #32122) posted at 12:41 AM on Saturday, October 14th, 2023

T/J

How in the world do you get your hair below your butt?

I've never cut my hair in 10 years and it's just below my shoulders.

Well if I straighten it, probably to just above my butt but I have embraced the curl even though the curl isn't all curl. There's areas where the hair is wavy and other areas where it turns into ringlets. I wish it would pick one way to be and just be that!

Is the key to growing it long getting it trimmed alot?

Me: BS 46 WH: 37 (BrokenHeart911)Four little dragons. Met 2006. Married 2008. Dday of LTPA with co worker October 19th 2010. Knew about EA with ow1 before that. Now up to PA #5. Serial fucking Cheater.

posts: 25823   ·   registered: May. 10th, 2011   ·   location: Canada
id 8811620

SerJR ( member #14993) posted at 12:54 AM on Saturday, October 14th, 2023

How in the world do you get your hair below your butt?

Well, for us menz, once you get to a certain age, by not shaving there... laugh

id 8811622

SacredSoul33 (original poster member #83038) posted at 12:54 AM on Saturday, October 14th, 2023

I justify the expense because other than my hair, I'm very low maintenance. laugh

I don't do nails, Botox, facials, massages, fancy face creams, nothin'. I maybe get two pedicures a year. And I work from home, so no need for a bunch of clothes and shoes.

id 8811623

WhatsRight ( member #35417) posted at 1:57 AM on Saturday, October 14th, 2023

Can you please clarify? Is that where it's growing from or to?

Yes!!! Bahahahahaha

Not really. I can’t tell you why, but after about age 8 or so, my hair just kept growing and growing. I literally wear it the same way now as how I was wearing it in my senior picture from high school. It’s just longer now. And I promise you, it is thinning so much that it’s probably only about 50 hairs that go that long! 🤣

I used to get it trimmed about three or 4 inches every six months or so, therefore, keeping it about the same length… Between my bra and my waist. And on 3 occasions I had it cut considerably and donated it to "locks of love".

But now, the price has gone up so much for having anything done to it professionally that I just let it go. I’m pretty much a homebody now, so I braid it and it goes down my back and I never have to see it.

"Noone can make you feel inferior without your concent." Eleanor Roosevelt

I will not be vanquished. Rose Kennedy

posts: 8225   ·   registered: Apr. 23rd, 2012   ·   location: Southeast USA
id 8811632

annb ( member #22386) posted at 5:42 PM on Saturday, October 14th, 2023

I stopped getting my hair professionally dyed after I had Covid and my hair started falling out (has since started growing in).

At that time I think the cost for a cut and color was about $125 + tip. (northeastern NJ), which is very reasonable for this area. However, I've been going to the same stylist for 30+ years, so I do get a little break for customer loyalty. My hair is just below the shoulder.

I started dying my own hair using non-ammonia dyes about every 8 weeks, and I decided I'm not going back to the hairdresser for color. I hate sitting in the hair salon, and doing it myself saves me hundreds and looks just as good.

posts: 12195   ·   registered: Jan. 10th, 2009   ·   location: Northeast
id 8811682

OwningItNow ( member #52288) posted at 10:19 PM on Saturday, October 14th, 2023

I've been with my stylist for 20 years, and she hasn't raised the price in at least 5 (but I know that's as a favor to me). My hair is medium longish, just past my shoulders.

I pay $165 for a partial foil (but it's really a full) and a trim.

Every five weeks!

Then I tip her $40.

Chicago area.

I honestly cannot believe what women have to pay for this crap. I will not do botox or any of that stuff which I think makes people look weird, not young. I hate all this stuff on principle, but the cost is a huge deterrent as well. Ridiculous.

If I have to start paying $300 every five weeks, I'll need to take out loans.

[This message edited by OwningItNow at 10:21 PM, Saturday, October 14th]

me: BS/WS h: WS/BS

Reject the rejector. Do not reject yourself.

posts: 5905   ·   registered: Mar. 16th, 2016   ·   location: Midwest
id 8811712

2ManyMigraines ( member #61851) posted at 4:02 PM on Tuesday, October 17th, 2023

Late to the party, but if you can find a beauty college in your area, they tend to charge much less. And they are usually VERY thorough as they are in training, and their instructors check their work. I've done it a few times and never had a bad experience!

posts: 200   ·   registered: Dec. 16th, 2017   ·   location: Midwest
id 8811920
Topic is Sleeping.
Cookies on SurvivingInfidelity.com®

SurvivingInfidelity.com® uses cookies to enhance your visit to our website. This is a requirement for participants to login, post and use other features. Visitors may opt out, but the website will be less functional for you.

v.1.001.20240905a 2002-2024 SurvivingInfidelity.com® All Rights Reserved. • Privacy Policy