Cookies are required for login or registration. Please read and agree to our cookie policy to continue.

Newest Member: Ncg88

Off Topic :
Cordless or Robo vac?

Topic is Sleeping.

Too_Trusting (original poster member #99) posted at 6:43 PM on Saturday, September 17th, 2022

I need to buy something to make my vacuuming easier. I moved into a house that is completely carpeted. sad I want to change all flooring to LVP for my allergies and my pets, but it's just not in the budget right now.

Because I have terrible allergies, I need to vacuum more often, but vacuuming can bring on more stuffy nose, etc.

So, should I invest in a self-emptying roomba, or a cordless vac? A high-quality machine of either will cost approximately the same. SI peeps, which do you recommend???

"Anyone perfect must be lying; anything easy has its cost. Anyone plain can be lovely; anyone loved can be lost." Barenaked Ladies

posts: 23546   ·   registered: Jun. 13th, 2002   ·   location: North Carolina
id 8755756

devotedman ( member #45441) posted at 8:33 PM on Saturday, September 17th, 2022

Verify this, but last I checked roomba et.al. were little mechanized brooms with no vacuum, just spinning brushes like the front beater bar of a real vacuum.

If you go for a vacuum cleaner then consider a hepa filter model. model..

Me: 2xBS b 1962 xWW after 2 decades, xWGF after almost 1.
Amelia Pond: Who are you?
The Doctor: I don't know yet. I'm still cooking.
ENFP-A. Huh.

posts: 5155   ·   registered: Oct. 30th, 2014   ·   location: Central USA
id 8755764

KVille ( member #29071) posted at 9:32 PM on Saturday, September 17th, 2022

I have COPD so I understand. Till you can afford to get a new floor go with a carpet sweeper with a water filter. I saw a Quantum X upright for less then 500.

Water is the best for lung issues.

never ever getting back together

posts: 277   ·   registered: Jul. 17th, 2010   ·   location: Pennsylvania
id 8755766

whatisloveanyway ( member #66450) posted at 9:58 PM on Saturday, September 17th, 2022

I've had roomba's in the past, and I loved them, for low carpet and for wood floors. Sadly, both died about a year after I bought them, out of warranty, of course. I now have one called Coredy, which I bought because it was a lower price point with about the same reviews as a roomba. I've never had the self emptying, but it is not hard to do it manually. It is a small receptacle, so it needs to be emptied usually once while I'm using it.

They do have suction. They do pick up a lot of dirt and dog hair, but can't get corners or edges well. They don't like thick pile carpet, or transitioning from hard floor to carpet. They love to tangle on a power or extension cord, so some clearing of the paths is important. They will fall down the stairs if you have them. They aren't perfect, but they help and I like mine.

I can't figure out the pattern they use to clean a room, and it's often confusing and takes a while to cover all the area I want cleaned. They are like having a little remedial helper, and I work along side mine using my stick vacuum to get the corners and edges or tight spots they can't get into, plus keeping them out of trouble. Mine can get stuck under my couch. I've had my Coredy for over a year and it hasn't died yet, but I don't work it as hard as my roombas since I am now mostly hardwood and before was mostly carpet.

Happy vacuuming and hope you like what you pick.

Edited to add, they are not the same level of cleaning as a high powered vacuum, so don't expect a deep clean. I still have a heavy duty vacuum I used on the carpets as well. But I still think they help a lot.

[This message edited by whatisloveanyway at 10:00 PM, Saturday, September 17th]

BW: 64 WH: 64 Both 57 on Dday, M 37 years, 2 grown kids. WH had 9 year A with MOW, 7 month false R, multiple DDays from 2017 - 2022, with five years of trickle truth and lies. I got rid of her with one email. Reconciling, or trying to.

posts: 574   ·   registered: Oct. 9th, 2018   ·   location: Southeastern USA
id 8755769

number4 ( member #62204) posted at 10:35 PM on Saturday, September 17th, 2022

How big is your house? That would determine which one I'd recommend. If you're looking for a cordless, be sure the one you're looking for is able to do the whole house without a battery charge. I have a Dyson stick, and I love it, but the newer models have batteries that last longer on a charge. So sometimes I secretly hope it will die so I can get the newer one. Our house is about 2000 sq. ft., and all hardwood floors, with three area rugs and two runners. My Dyson can barely last to do it all on one charge. But with just two of us, we don't live in all of the rooms, so the Dyson can last long enough to get the rooms we live in. We have a dog who sheds, and live in SoCal, so lots of dirt and dust enter the house with the back door open a lot of the time.

We also have a Roomba, not a self-emptying one. Again, when we run it, it fills up and needs emptying before the battery charge runs out. Our plan was to have it run every other night in different rooms, while we slept, but we soon discovered that, when it's dark, the thing can't see, and gets confused about where to go on its map. So if you get a Roomba, or similar, know that you won't be able to run it when it's dark.

Agree with the recommendation to get a good HEPA filtered vacuum. I, too, have allergies and need good filtration. We also have two portable air purifiers in our house... one in our living room, and one in our bedroom. Again, in SoCal, we occasionally get really bad air quality due to wildfires, depending on which way the wind is blowing.

We also have a regular corded vacuum that has a stronger filter than the Dyson or Roomba. It's what my housekeeper uses every other week. So the Roomba and Dyson are for in between deeper cleanings. I really do love my Dyson. It started having some issues last fall (we'd had it for at least four years), so I took it to a Dyson repair store. Even though it was out of warranty, they replaced whatever it was that had broken. I was very impressed.

Me: BWHim: WHMarried - 30+ yearsTwo adult daughters1st affair: 2005-20072nd-4th affairs: 2016-2017Many assessments/polygraph: no sex addictionStatus: R

posts: 1358   ·   registered: Jan. 10th, 2018   ·   location: New England
id 8755774

VezfromTaz ( member #80815) posted at 12:17 AM on Sunday, September 18th, 2022

My favorite topic:vacuum cleaners. Following.

id 8755785

hcsv ( member #51813) posted at 12:43 AM on Sunday, September 18th, 2022

I have wood floors and I love my Eye vac. I have a very large open room with kitchen, dining and living room in one, with wood flooring. All I do is sweep the room and sweep right into the eye vac. done. much prefer sweeping to vacuuming. No hauling a vacuum out. The eye vac sits in a corner, plugged in and ready to suck up the dirt I sweep into it.

After 40 years, ex turned into someone I didnt know and couldnt trust anymore. Divorced. 1/17

id 8755788

tushnurse ( member #21101) posted at 1:20 AM on Sunday, September 18th, 2022

Devoted man you are incorrect.
I have the roommate with self emptying station. We got itast year at Xmas. We have 2 labs and 2 cats. So animal hair is an issue. I also ha e a Beam central vac installed whe. We built our home, and it is a mo stor and does a great job both on wood floors tile and carpets but was always out be a use I was vacuuming daily or every other day.
My roomba kicks ass. I can have it do one space or the whole main level. It send me messages when the collection container is full when filters need changed and so forth. I have had it running all day today because I was cooking and the dogs were working on bones in the living room making crumbs.
My only complaint about the Roomba is that it is loud. I can't run it whe working (work from home). But is is super easy to empty, replace pieces, and get all the necessary parts on Amazon.

Me: FBSHim: FWSKids: 23 & 27 Married for 32 years now, was 16 at the time.D-Day Sept 26 2008R'd in about 2 years. Old Vet now.

posts: 20243   ·   registered: Oct. 1st, 2008   ·   location: St. Louis
id 8755793

Too_Trusting (original poster member #99) posted at 3:27 AM on Sunday, September 18th, 2022

Thanks everyone for your replies! I now have a lot to think about...

Number 4:

How big is your house?

Just under 1600 s.f. The only rooms NOT carpeted are the bathrooms and kitchen/dining room.

I also have another issue, or I'd be completely sold on the Roomba j7+ (row by row cleaning, with mapping and self emptying). My house was built in 1983 when "sunken rooms" were popular. rolleyes Therefore, the small entryway is a step up from the rest of the house. There are no other stairs in my home; that's why I bought this house - to get everything on one level. I know a robo vac doesn't climb stairs, but I'm hoping it would just vacuum the other rooms, and learn that small step is a barrier. Then, do the hokey-pokey and turn itself around. laugh

The reason I want the self-emptying robot is that the activity of emptying any vacuum's dust bin makes my stuffy nose much worse. I'm already running 3 large purifiers in my house (each covers 350 s.f.)

I'm not looking for either the cordless or robo vac to take over the heavy cleaning. I'm looking for something that can easily vacuum between the heavy-duty vacuuming.

Number 4: S

o if you get a Roomba, or similar, know that you won't be able to run it when it's dark.

I think I read that somewhere, but had forgotten it. Dang, that kind of blows my whole plan to run it after I go to bed. crying

Tush, what model roomba do you have? I'm looking at the J7+, based on my needs vs. the reviews I've read. The roombas are supposed to be better at picking things up due to their dual rollers? That's what I've read.

Someone is selling a Dyson v15 cordless vac, brand new in the box on my local FB marketplace. I may need to look into that...

Still don't want to give up on the "dream" of having some machine do a lot of vacuuming FOR me, tho. laugh

"Anyone perfect must be lying; anything easy has its cost. Anyone plain can be lovely; anyone loved can be lost." Barenaked Ladies

id 8755801

josiep ( member #58593) posted at 12:48 AM on Monday, September 19th, 2022

I'm drifting away from your question but I'd recommend you get the carpeting professionally cleaned by someone who will work until they get all the old shampoo residue out. That will really help cut down on what gets kicked up when you vacuum.

I moved into my "new" house a year ago. I put LVP in all but the 2 extra bedrooms (which I use as an office and a guest bedroom) and totally regret trying to save a few bucks.

Congrats on your new place - I hope you love it.

BW, was 67; now 74; M 45 yrs., T 49 yrs.DDay#1, 1982; DDay#2, May, 2017. D July, 2017

id 8755902

BearlyBreathing ( member #55075) posted at 12:59 AM on Monday, September 19th, 2022

I’m in a similar sized house on one level but two sunken rooms (hello 70s!). It’s all hardwood floors or tile and my robot vacuum does great on the cat hair except for the corners and such. And it ** usually** is fine with the step downs and turns around. I think twice in over two years I have had to rescue it turtles on its back. One time is landed upright and just started cleaning that room. I do have rugs in a couple rooms and it does a pretty superficial job there. So I use my reg vacuum to keep it truly clean now and again.

My model is a cheaper one but I wouldn’t run at night… it does get stuck on cords or whatever and then calls to me for help. That would stink in the middle of the night. Also do check every room before you eat it off… cat toys, electrical cords, pick up curtains, find random unexpected hair balls ( barf )… takes only a minute and works great. I set my off when I am WFH or I’ll have it vacuuming one room while I dust and get the next rooms ready. It does take a lot longer than just vacuuming, but it lets me multitask.

Me: BS 57 (49 on d-day)Him: *who cares ;-) *. D-Day 8/15/2016 LTA. Kinda liking my new life :-)

**horrible typist, lots of edits to correct. :-/ **

posts: 6144   ·   registered: Sep. 10th, 2016   ·   location: Northern CA
id 8755909

tushnurse ( member #21101) posted at 12:33 PM on Monday, September 19th, 2022

Tush, what model roomba do you have? I'm looking at the J7+, based on my needs vs. the reviews I've read. The roombas are supposed to be better at picking things up due to their dual rollers? That's what I've read.

I just spent 10 minutes looking at my unit (everyone behave hahahaha) I do not see a model number. It cost right at $1K USD. It was worth every single penny. The main floor of my house is 1,500 square feet. It is a combo of wood floors, tile, and thick area rugs, and carpet.

Me: FBSHim: FWSKids: 23 & 27 Married for 32 years now, was 16 at the time.D-Day Sept 26 2008R'd in about 2 years. Old Vet now.

posts: 20243   ·   registered: Oct. 1st, 2008   ·   location: St. Louis
id 8755952

josiep ( member #58593) posted at 4:00 PM on Monday, September 19th, 2022

Just a funny story to share. My DD lives in a 2 story house. They bought a Roomba for each floor.

Then she bought a baby gate for the top of the staircase so the Roomba won't fall down the steps. Her H installed it too high so the Roomba can scoot right under it so now she has to close the gap by stuffing a towel in it. Hers are self-emptying

The upstairs one runs during the day and downstairs one during the night.

I bought one on Amazon, refurbished, off brand, $139, I have to empty it. It works just fine for an old lady who lives alone and is pet free at the moment. My biggest problem are the crumbs next to my recliner..............

I'd suggest you buy a cheap one to start with. Maybe a refurbished one from Amazon and try it out and see what you think of the whole concept.

At the very least, buy one that can be returned and give it a try. I think most people either love it or hate it and it's hard to predict which way it will go.

AND, depending on your schedule and where you live, maybe you could find someone who'd come to your house and vacuum really good once a week. Maybe a H.S. kid wanting to earn a bit.

BW, was 67; now 74; M 45 yrs., T 49 yrs.DDay#1, 1982; DDay#2, May, 2017. D July, 2017

id 8755984

ChewedMeUp ( member #8008) posted at 9:15 PM on Monday, September 19th, 2022

I had an off-brand refurb that lasted about a year before it died, and it was great. It ran during the day while I was at work, and would sometimes get stuck somewhere, but I just rescued and emptied it when I got home. I have a cat and a dog and it was very handy for keeping the pet hair down.

I went without for the last 2 or 3 years, and I missed it so much (the fur tumbleweeds!), I just ordered a eufy based on CR recommendations. Just got it plugged in yesterday, so haven't even had it run yet.

BS - over 40
DivorcED, finally.
2 Kids

posts: 657   ·   registered: Aug. 26th, 2005   ·   location: Baltimore, MD
id 8756077

number4 ( member #62204) posted at 10:54 PM on Monday, September 19th, 2022

Regarding it going where it shouldn't, our Roomba came with a couple of sensors we could place in the house where it might get stuck. For instance, it has gotten stuck underneath one of our bedside tables, so we placed a sensor on the floor, at the corner of the table, and the Roomba senses it when it gets close, and turns around. It's really the only place ours has gotten stuck.

Our area rugs are low pile, so it has no problem going from hardwood to rug.

Me: BWHim: WHMarried - 30+ yearsTwo adult daughters1st affair: 2005-20072nd-4th affairs: 2016-2017Many assessments/polygraph: no sex addictionStatus: R

posts: 1358   ·   registered: Jan. 10th, 2018   ·   location: New England
id 8756103

Too_Trusting (original poster member #99) posted at 12:23 AM on Tuesday, September 20th, 2022

Josiep:

I'm drifting away from your question but I'd recommend you get the carpeting professionally cleaned by someone who will work until they get all the old shampoo residue out. That will really help cut down on what gets kicked up when you vacuum.

I moved into my "new" house a year ago. I put LVP in all but the 2 extra bedrooms (which I use as an office and a guest bedroom) and totally regret trying to save a few bucks.

Congrats on your new place - I hope you love it.

GREAT suggestion on getting the carpets cleaned. I found a GREAT carpet cleaning company to clean these carpets before I moved in. I've been here almost a year, so time to get them cleaned again.

I envy your LVP!!! I WISH I had done that before I moved in, but I had only about 2 weeks to pack/clean/leave my 2900 s.f. house to move into this one. sad sad A stupid kidney stone took some of my packing time. mad IDK how much it would cost to just put LVP everywhere, but I've read of others getting quotes of $15-18K to do an entire house. sad crying That's almost a small kitchen renovation, which is something I also want/need.

I DO love my "new" house. The house I sold had 3 levels - basement/garage, main, and upstairs. I'm 65, so that's just TOO MANY stairs. Plus, the house had acreage, and it was just all too much for me to care for, and expensive to maintain. This house is so simple, I find myself getting bored. laugh

Tush:

I just spent 10 minutes looking at my unit (everyone behave hahahaha) I do not see a model number. It cost right at $1K USD. It was worth every single penny.

Sounds like you got the s9+ - the latest/greatest/most expensive one. grin

josiep:

I'd suggest you buy a cheap one to start with. Maybe a refurbished one from Amazon and try it out and see what you think of the whole concept.

That's a really great idea! I just thought if I got a cheap one, I wouldn't know if I didn't like the concept, or the limited features of the one I got. As with everything, I have el-cheapo spirit, but champagne tastes! blink

[This message edited by Too_Trusting at 12:29 AM, Tuesday, September 20th]

id 8756117

josiep ( member #58593) posted at 3:31 PM on Tuesday, October 11th, 2022

So, did you buy one? What's the verdict?

id 8759072

Shehawk ( member #68741) posted at 10:11 PM on Wednesday, October 12th, 2022

I was a both kind of person. Sharkie the robo could get on your nerves but it did keep the place up nicely minus the corners etc. The newer models are better. The getting on nerves was mostly it getting fixated on a place or running around the desk during a meeting. Again I have heard the newer ones are better at that too. The cordless is great. Mine is older so battery life gets better the newer the model.

"It's a slow fade...when you give yourself away" so don't do it!

posts: 1712   ·   registered: Nov. 5th, 2018   ·   location: US
id 8759273

Too_Trusting (original poster member #99) posted at 2:08 AM on Sunday, October 30th, 2022

Josiep:

So, did you buy one? What's the verdict?

I planned to buy both, actually. BUT, my dogs had other ideas. Have had many LARGE vet bills, and sadly, my vac(s) have had to take a back seat. crying

Now, one of my dogs has to have a splenectomy because an ultrasound found a mass on her spleen. Not only will that cost a fortune, but spleen masses are highly suspect for cancer. Please send good thoughts for my little one. She is the sweetest little chihuahua I've ever met. AND, I adopted her only 2 months ago. crying crying

I had hopes to purchase one/both types of vacs on Black Friday, but that's doubtful now. Oh well, my doggies are worth more than any vacuum. Next year, perhaps? rolleyes

id 8762840

leafields ( Guide #63517) posted at 5:18 AM on Sunday, October 30th, 2022

So sorry your pup is sick. Chihuahuas can be so sweet and faithful. Hope things turn out well.

BW M 34years, Dday 1: March 2018, Dday 2: August 2019, D final 2/25/21

posts: 3735   ·   registered: Apr. 21st, 2018   ·   location: Washington State
id 8762847
Topic is Sleeping.
Cookies on SurvivingInfidelity.com®

SurvivingInfidelity.com® uses cookies to enhance your visit to our website. This is a requirement for participants to login, post and use other features. Visitors may opt out, but the website will be less functional for you.

v.1.001.20240905a 2002-2024 SurvivingInfidelity.com® All Rights Reserved. • Privacy Policy