Cookies are required for login or registration. Please read and agree to our cookie policy to continue.

Newest Member: Brokenhearted3663

Off Topic :
Self employment

Topic is Sleeping.

deena04 (original poster member #41741) posted at 3:57 AM on Monday, June 27th, 2022

I have contracted with my position for quite a few years. I have an opportunity to start my own full time business. I have weighed everything out: good, bad, and ugly. I was specifically asked to do this by other colleagues as a need exists. My field tends to see people branch out on their own frequently and successfully. I’ve had a side business for a long time. It does great. I’ll keep that, too. Guys, I am scared shitless but I feel like I am supposed to do this. Would you do it? How do I get the nerves to go away? I am set up fairly well to be able to afford several months until I’m actually making some money. Not to mention I could always go back to contracting with what I do now worst case. Is it crazy? When do you just do it? Like I said, I have the side business but I have always had the security of my main job.

Me FBS 40s, Him XWS older than me (lovemywife4ever), D, He cheated before M, forgot to tell me. I’m free and loving life.

posts: 3335   ·   registered: Dec. 22nd, 2013   ·   location: Midwest
id 8742106

Superesse ( member #60731) posted at 5:06 AM on Monday, June 27th, 2022

Deena, I'm sure others with more direct experience with this will post, but meantime I just wanted to offer you some supportive thoughts.

On the Pro side:

a. You have the doors back to the contracting world pretty well-oiled? (You know exactly what to do to get back into that situation, I assume.)
b. Others you know have done this, it sounds like?
c. You seem excited by the opportunity.

On the Con side:

a. No guarantees ever, with self-employment. That's really true of every job, however.
b. Lots of 'former' self-employed, talented folks find they eventually need to cycle back into employment, so what would that look like, in your line of work?
c. We all need a cheerleader, and being one's own boss can be daunting because usually, there are no supportive voices you can count on, day-to-day.
d. Harder to budget with irregular chunks of income, but the real trick is not to let the 'post-payday' flush checking account mislead your spending decisions.

Only you can weigh and measure all these factors, but ask yourself: if you wait a few months to assess the whole situation further, will you feel like you missed the chance to do this? Is it time, in other words, for this change?

posts: 2128   ·   registered: Sep. 22nd, 2017   ·   location: Washington D C area
id 8742116

tushnurse ( member #21101) posted at 2:55 PM on Monday, June 27th, 2022

Major concerns on starting your own business that stop me are:
Health insurance
Retirement
Having a fail safe if things don't take off or if economy tanks that I know I can get a job w/ benefits again.

I have considered several options outside of healthcare, and will eventually make a jump at some point. But those are the considerations I think on, and plan with, and research on.

We did have a fairly thriving side business for several years to help make ends meet, then we had career advancements, and the time at job made us cut back on the side business.

Me: FBSHim: FWSKids: 23 & 27 Married for 32 years now, was 16 at the time.D-Day Sept 26 2008R'd in about 2 years. Old Vet now.

posts: 20243   ·   registered: Oct. 1st, 2008   ·   location: St. Louis
id 8742141

sisoon ( Moderator #31240) posted at 5:49 PM on Monday, June 27th, 2022

The problem I had was that I was a tech guy, but self-employment requires selling. I was lousy at selling, and I'm an introvert, so I'm lousy at networking, too.

If your network can keep you employed or if you're good or can become good at selling yourself (and contracts), I'd say: go for it.

fBH (me) - on d-day: 66, Married 43, together 45, same sex ap
DDay - 12/22/2010
Recover'd and R'ed
You don't have to like your boundaries. You just have to set and enforce them.

posts: 30215   ·   registered: Feb. 18th, 2011   ·   location: Illinois
id 8742185

deena04 (original poster member #41741) posted at 12:32 AM on Tuesday, June 28th, 2022

Thanks. I feel like I need reassurance. I have went over it 1 million times on paper, in my head, while in the hot tub, you name it. It makes sense yet I’m terrified. I am putting final details into motion and should be making the leap soon.

Me FBS 40s, Him XWS older than me (lovemywife4ever), D, He cheated before M, forgot to tell me. I’m free and loving life.

posts: 3335   ·   registered: Dec. 22nd, 2013   ·   location: Midwest
id 8742238

The1stWife ( Guide #58832) posted at 1:50 AM on Friday, July 1st, 2022

My business is helping start ups and small businesses.

Feel free to ask me anything. I’ve 15 years experience and can give you some strategies that can help you.

Survived two affairs and brink of Divorce. Happily reconciled. 10 years out from Dday. Reconciliation takes two committed people to be successful.

id 8742805
Topic is Sleeping.
Cookies on SurvivingInfidelity.com®

SurvivingInfidelity.com® uses cookies to enhance your visit to our website. This is a requirement for participants to login, post and use other features. Visitors may opt out, but the website will be less functional for you.

v.1.001.20240905a 2002-2024 SurvivingInfidelity.com® All Rights Reserved. • Privacy Policy