Cookies are required for login or registration. Please read and agree to our cookie policy to continue.

Newest Member: Brokenhearted3663

Off Topic :
Hashimoto’s disease

Topic is Sleeping.

WhatsRight (original poster member #35417) posted at 5:46 PM on Thursday, October 19th, 2023

Found out yesterday that my bloodwork indicates that I have Hashimoto’s. My T3 and T4 levels were high but within the range, and my TSH was on the outer limits of the range. My thyroid antibodies however, were a bit worse. The reading should not be more than seven, or perhaps nine on the very outer limits. My level was 143! When I do something, I try to go ALL the way! 🙃

The really sad part is that I went online and found several references to the following needed diet changes:

1. Gluten free
2. Sugar free
3. Dairy free
4. Low glycemic, and…
5. Paleo

Ok, really?

My morning cereal alone is a 3 time loser … gluten, sugar, and dairy.

They have prescribed synthetic thyroid, of course, but I have been tempted to just ignore the whole problem. In the big picture, this is not near the problem as so many other medical issues. Then I researched that approach, and it turns out that untreated Hashimoto’s can lead to heart issues, coma, and/or death.

Let me think about it…. Just kidding.

"Noone can make you feel inferior without your concent." Eleanor Roosevelt

I will not be vanquished. Rose Kennedy

posts: 8225   ·   registered: Apr. 23rd, 2012   ·   location: Southeast USA
id 8812107

tushnurse ( member #21101) posted at 7:16 PM on Thursday, October 19th, 2023

Do not ignore it. Definitely try limiting your sugar intake and cut back on gluten and see how you feel.
Additionally you should see an endocrinologist to manage this. Not a PCP. Most PCPs do not have a good understanding of how to effectively manage thyroid problems.

Me: FBSHim: FWSKids: 23 & 27 Married for 32 years now, was 16 at the time.D-Day Sept 26 2008R'd in about 2 years. Old Vet now.

posts: 20243   ·   registered: Oct. 1st, 2008   ·   location: St. Louis
id 8812120

WhatsRight (original poster member #35417) posted at 2:26 AM on Friday, October 20th, 2023

Yeah, my PCP has been addressing my thyroid issues for a while… On again and off again Armour Thyroid. The doctor I’m seeing now is an endocrinologist… He wrote a book called "The Thyroid Paradox". I’ve only seen the PA so far and she seems very knowledgeable. But due to giving birth in December, I’ll be seeing the actual doc in January.

Anyway, so much for my beloved Total cereal. 🙁

So I’ll start out with almond / rice milk, and honey. We’ll see how that goes.

Yeah, I wanted an endocrinologist this time around. I guess this definitely explains why I’ve had so much auto immune difficulty. My PCP used to tell me that everything that ever challenged me was auto immune. Repeated mono, fibromyalgia, fibrocystic disease, thyroid issues/goiter… So I guess a 143 level antibodies would explain a lot of that. I don’t think a regular PCP even gets an antibody reading.

id 8812154

WhatsRight (original poster member #35417) posted at 2:34 AM on Friday, October 20th, 2023

That would be the Endocrinologist PA giving birth in December…

Not me! 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

id 8812155

tushnurse ( member #21101) posted at 2:34 PM on Friday, October 20th, 2023

I would encourage you to eat the honey over sugar. It has enzymes that have been proven to be beneficial for humans that cannot be reproduced. (Remember me the beekeeper). Cut out the flour and bread.

Me: FBSHim: FWSKids: 23 & 27 Married for 32 years now, was 16 at the time.D-Day Sept 26 2008R'd in about 2 years. Old Vet now.

posts: 20243   ·   registered: Oct. 1st, 2008   ·   location: St. Louis
id 8812195

hcsv ( member #51813) posted at 4:17 PM on Sunday, October 22nd, 2023

Dont ignore your thyroid, that stupid little organ can cause chaos. See an Endocrinologist, get annual ultrasounds, labs every three to six months. Medication can swing things rapidly so it must be monitored. And be aware of even slight changes in symptoms.

After 40 years, ex turned into someone I didnt know and couldnt trust anymore. Divorced. 1/17

id 8812442

WhatsRight (original poster member #35417) posted at 6:57 PM on Sunday, October 22nd, 2023

I just remembered recently that when I was 16 and went to see an OB/GYN for the first time, 10 million years ago, he gave me a prescription for thyroid pills. I took them a while and then I quit.

Oh well.

[This message edited by WhatsRight at 6:59 PM, Sunday, October 22nd]

id 8812454

Shehawk ( member #68741) posted at 1:35 AM on Monday, October 23rd, 2023

I have found that decreasing inflammation which for me is avoiding American wheat is very helpful.

I probably do better with avoiding some other things too like refined sugar and eating organic mostly plant based (for me not everyone I am pretty sure).

I take a new thyroid medication as well and it is changing my life for the better (European company approved for use in the US). It has ingredients I tolerate better.

"It's a slow fade...when you give yourself away" so don't do it!

posts: 1712   ·   registered: Nov. 5th, 2018   ·   location: US
id 8812490

OwningItNow ( member #52288) posted at 5:58 AM on Monday, October 23rd, 2023

I also have Hashimoto's since high school. I took meds for two years, and then my numbers appeared to be corrected. They continually monitored me. In my 40s, my numbers went wacky again, and they put me on Synthroid. My body hated it. I felt so puffy and off, and I stopped taking it. They let me stop and gave me some wholistic things to try like Selenium.

Meanwhile, my brother was diagnosed with Celiac Disease, and then I was too. Ever since going gluten free, my health has drastically improved. My thyroid numbers have remained in the normal range. I am positive, given my many lifelong symptoms, that I have had Celiac as long as I've had Hashimoto's, and I probably should have been off gluten for my entire adult life, but we can only know what we know when we know it. Nobody made that gluten connection back then. I mean, I had never even heard of gluten or Celiac Disease. These autoimmune disorders are all connected and have not been very well understood until recently.

I highly recommend going gluten free even though it is quite an adjustment. It's worth it. What if the cause of these autoimmune issues is our bodies reacting and rebelling to things in our food system? Or in our environment? Giving up gluten has helped a lot of people with Hashimoto's.

Good luck, WhatsRight.

[This message edited by OwningItNow at 5:59 AM, Monday, October 23rd]

me: BS/WS h: WS/BS

Reject the rejector. Do not reject yourself.

posts: 5905   ·   registered: Mar. 16th, 2016   ·   location: Midwest
id 8812506

WhatsRight (original poster member #35417) posted at 12:34 PM on Monday, October 23rd, 2023

Thanks for all this input. I have been reading up about a gluten free diet. About the significant changes, including the cost increases compared to a "regular" diet.

I’m not sure I’m up to it. I start on my new thyroid medicine this morning, and then I go back to the dr. in January. I’m guess I’ll try to do what I can in that time.

id 8812513

little turtle ( member #15584) posted at 1:41 PM on Wednesday, October 25th, 2023

guess I’ll try to do what I can in that time.

What specific changes are you going to make in the meantime? Changing the milk and adding honey instead of sugar? Anything else? I have found that I have greater success when I have a plan that I can hold myself accountable to. smile I'm worried about you. You'll go to the end of the earth for H and kids, but what will you do for yourself??

Failure is success if we learn from it.

posts: 5619   ·   registered: Aug. 1st, 2007   ·   location: michigan
id 8812747

WhatsRight (original poster member #35417) posted at 2:17 PM on Thursday, October 26th, 2023

That’s a really very good question. The truth is I have not changed anything yet. It seems too overwhelming.

I have spent quite a bit of time finding sites on the Internet that say that a different diet is "recommended" but not necessary with Hashimoto’s. Major copout, right?

Truth is, we are on a tight budget these days and I’m just not sure I’m going to be able to be "all in" about this. The medicine alone was just under $150.

I did have a bit of a "thing" at church the other day. Started feeling fullness in my spine from neck to butt, and could feel my heart beating strongly in that area. And was quite lightheaded. Forgot where I parked my van. 🫤

The thing is, I’m old. So I think I can expect situations like this to come and go. I guess my main plan for the next 2 1/2 months until I go back to see the endocrinologist will be to make some minor, "painless" adjustments, and when I go back to the doctor I can see what just adding the medicine and minor changes can do to change the numbers. Then I’ll speak to him about the major dietary changes he feels are necessary.

id 8812882
Topic is Sleeping.
Cookies on SurvivingInfidelity.com®

SurvivingInfidelity.com® uses cookies to enhance your visit to our website. This is a requirement for participants to login, post and use other features. Visitors may opt out, but the website will be less functional for you.

v.1.001.20240905a 2002-2024 SurvivingInfidelity.com® All Rights Reserved. • Privacy Policy