Cookies are required for login or registration. Please read and agree to our cookie policy to continue.

Newest Member: Brokenhearted3663

Off Topic :
Hawks hitting the windows and chasing other birds into the window?

Topic is Sleeping.

Shehawk (original poster member #68741) posted at 2:33 AM on Tuesday, July 18th, 2023

In the mornings a few days I have heard big birds hitting the window. I saw a flash of yellow like an oriole today and then a spotted hawk knocked itself out. It managed to awaken by the time I went to check on it and it flew away.

I am wondering if a family of raptors has replaced the murder (group) of crows that used to terrorize. I do remember a medicine man telling me that crows chase hawk so maybe with them gone the hawks have decided to become the neighborhood bird bullies?

"It's a slow fade...when you give yourself away" so don't do it!

posts: 1712   ·   registered: Nov. 5th, 2018   ·   location: US
id 8799799

Superesse ( member #60731) posted at 3:20 AM on Tuesday, July 18th, 2023

That is...unusual. I am wondering if it has anything to do with the smoke from the wildfires covering the area lately?
I have never seen such haze and it may be disorienting the birds?

We had a really cool great white owl here when we first came to this old farm, it inhabited the abandoned barn with high window openings that were not glazed or otherwise screened. It used to hoot at night, and believe me, no pigeons dared to live in the barn! Unfortunately we had a contractor talk us into glazing those openings with old glass windows, to protect the wood floors. OK, but then the owl could no longer swoop down into his habitat. Naturally, of course, we soon acquired a growing flock of pigeons - or as my H calls them, rats with wings. They have dirtied up the barn like you wouldn't believe. However, another owl has lately started to hang out down there, since the damn pigeons broke all the glass out of the barn windows the helpful contractor installed!

Nature is a puzzle.

I would hate to lose an Oriole, however!

posts: 2128   ·   registered: Sep. 22nd, 2017   ·   location: Washington D C area
id 8799808

tushnurse ( member #21101) posted at 1:06 PM on Tuesday, July 18th, 2023

Where I live we have hawks, falcons, and crows, and of course song birds.
During the winter I have witnessed the Falcons snatch small birds off of my feeders, like nuthatch, titmouse, and so forth. One time it got a Cardinal, and talk about a large floof of feathers.

If the hawks are hungry they will choose the easiest prey, and if you have feeders out, and songbirds on it, well they will snatch them up. I have also had hawks take smaller breeds of chickens. We even put a net over our chicken yard when it was out in the open.

Given that information I would say put something on your windows to the birds can tell it's not an open space, and then maybe put up some aluminum pie pans to rattle and reflect back, the raptors do not like it.

Me: FBSHim: FWSKids: 23 & 27 Married for 32 years now, was 16 at the time.D-Day Sept 26 2008R'd in about 2 years. Old Vet now.

posts: 20243   ·   registered: Oct. 1st, 2008   ·   location: St. Louis
id 8799832

Shehawk (original poster member #68741) posted at 3:25 PM on Wednesday, July 19th, 2023

Suppress I did not think about the wildfire smoke. That is a real possibility. We are also having droughts.

We don’t feed birds with feeders here because of the diseases. We were told not to. Instead I do leave grass patches with seed for the birds so that explains the raptors viewing this as hunting grounds. That’s a good point Tush.

I am thinking that I might explore windchimes.

I am sorry the rats with wings showed up. Ugh.

id 8800019

Shehawk (original poster member #68741) posted at 3:26 PM on Wednesday, July 19th, 2023

Superesse sorry for the autocorrect

id 8800020

Superesse ( member #60731) posted at 5:28 PM on Wednesday, July 19th, 2023

Shehawk, What a HOOT! (pun intended). I will have to think about that one :)

posts: 2128   ·   registered: Sep. 22nd, 2017   ·   location: Washington D C area
id 8800041

Shehawk (original poster member #68741) posted at 1:37 AM on Sunday, July 30th, 2023

So the next birds to try out the super sized picture windows was a trio of turkeys.

I heard they will break windows and menace people. They are also scary looking.

I did read that one thing I could do is shut the blinds so I did that.

id 8801529
Topic is Sleeping.
Cookies on SurvivingInfidelity.com®

SurvivingInfidelity.com® uses cookies to enhance your visit to our website. This is a requirement for participants to login, post and use other features. Visitors may opt out, but the website will be less functional for you.

v.1.001.20240905a 2002-2024 SurvivingInfidelity.com® All Rights Reserved. • Privacy Policy