Cookies are required for login or registration. Please read and agree to our cookie policy to continue.

Newest Member: Brokenhearted3663

Off Topic :
Protein drinks

Topic is Sleeping.

zebra25 (original poster member #29431) posted at 7:28 PM on Thursday, May 19th, 2022

I'm looking for protein drink suggestions. I'm lactose intolerant.

I have IBS and have been having a horrible time lately. Last night I woke up with excruciating pain and was up for hours until it calmed down. I am doing broth today until things calm down.

I'm thinking maybe protein drinks would be good for easing back from clear liquids.

These painful episodes can hit anytime of the day or night. I'm barely able to leave the house.

Thanks.

"Don't let anyone who hasn't been in your shoes tell you how to tie your laces."

D-day April 2010

id 8736041

lieshurt ( Administrator #14003) posted at 6:10 PM on Friday, May 20th, 2022

I'm so sorry you are in pain. I don't know anything about how to deal with IBS, but I did find this concerning protein drinks:

People with IBS should avoid powders and shakes with whey protein because it often contains ingredients that can trigger IBS symptoms. It's best to reach for protein-rich whole foods instead.

"Protein supplements and powders are a dietary supplement. Therefore, the ingredient list may not contain the entire truth," she says. "Protein powders may include added sugars, unnecessary calories, artificial colors and flavoring, emulsifiers and thickeners, and excessive vitamins and minerals that may impact gut health and symptoms."

I truly hope you feel better soon.

No one changes unless they want to. Not if you beg them. Not if you shame them. Not if you use reason, emotion, or tough love. There is only one thing that makes someone change: their own realization that they need to.

posts: 22643   ·   registered: Mar. 20th, 2007   ·   location: Houston
id 8736251

zebra25 (original poster member #29431) posted at 6:26 PM on Friday, May 20th, 2022

Thank you so much!!!

Thank you for that info. Food and nutrition choices have gotten so complicated and stressful.

I tried talking with a dietician. She was not really any help for my specific problem. Same with the GI doctors. Just avoid trigger foods is their advice. No kidding.

"Don't let anyone who hasn't been in your shoes tell you how to tie your laces."

D-day April 2010

id 8736254

Shehawk ( member #68741) posted at 10:38 AM on Tuesday, May 24th, 2022

I am so sorry you are in pain.

Additives, fillers and even contamination can be my downfall with wheat too....sorry you are going through this.

I add Shaklee brand soy protein to my smoothies. I use the unflavored unsweetened one. I don't know if there is any lactose in it. Hidden ingredients are so hard. I also use soy milk. I do use fruit to make it palatable so don't know if you can have that.

I have also used peanut protein in my shakes or plain peanut butter with banana. Again don't know your "avoids". And I have used a pea based vegan protein called Vega before.

All of these you have to mix in a shaker bottle or blend.

Soy is controversial though. And I don't know if it or the other two are ok with your medical issues.

"It's a slow fade...when you give yourself away" so don't do it!

posts: 1712   ·   registered: Nov. 5th, 2018   ·   location: US
id 8736759

humantrampoline ( member #61458) posted at 3:02 PM on Tuesday, May 24th, 2022

Ugh! That sounds awful. I don't know much about IBS, but I had a bout with SIBO several years ago. Some symptoms are similar with cramping and bloating and always feeling full. For a while, a low FODMAP diet did help.

Later, I found vegetable based protein powders, especially pea, were helpful. The brand I used was Vega. I never could tolerate whey protein, but it might be the other additives as another poster mentioned. Chia seeds and flaxseed were good. I had a chia seed, blueberry, and pear compote recipe that was good. Chia and flax seed are high in fiber, and that might also irritate, or you might need to work up tolerance. Also, I think they should both be soaked in water before being used.

My husband and sons use the Lactaid pills. They will take one or two and eat ice cream or have a coffee and cream/milk drink right after without problem.

id 8736813

zebra25 (original poster member #29431) posted at 3:32 PM on Wednesday, May 25th, 2022

Thanks for the responses and information.

The FODMAP diet has been very helpful. I have been following that for a few years and have been able to add a few foods in small quantities.

I haven't changed anything and am having an awful flare of symptoms.

Oh well, it's frustrating but there are worse things.

Thanks again for taking time to respond!!

D-day April 2010

id 8737008

Bigger ( Attaché #8354) posted at 5:39 PM on Wednesday, May 25th, 2022

Do you eat fish?
Fish is a good source of protein and is both a clean and healthy food.
We eat a lot of fish in my family, probably 2-3 meals a day. Ranging from simple boiled cod, fried fish, oven-cooked fish, grilled salmon…

"If, therefore, any be unhappy, let him remember that he is unhappy by reason of himself alone." Epictetus

id 8737025

zebra25 (original poster member #29431) posted at 7:08 PM on Wednesday, May 25th, 2022

I do. I love salmon however several times after I have eaten it I have had stomach pain. I'm trying to figure out if it is the salmon, something I eat with it or just a coincidence.

I eat a lot of eggs, plain Greek yogurt, avocados, oatmeal and peanut butter. I eat some other things but those are my staples.

I almost never eat out because it's so hard to find something plain.

D-day April 2010

id 8737050

Bigger ( Attaché #8354) posted at 7:28 PM on Wednesday, May 25th, 2022

Try wild salmon rather than farmed. It could be from the fodder. If you don’t feel pain… well… then you know.

"If, therefore, any be unhappy, let him remember that he is unhappy by reason of himself alone." Epictetus

id 8737052

humantrampoline ( member #61458) posted at 8:44 PM on Wednesday, May 25th, 2022

I don't know if this is common, but my cousin uses marijuana for Crohn's flair ups. He's had a medical marijuana prescription for many years. Considering that even common over-the-counter pain relievers are now known to negatively impact gut microbiome, maybe it is a better option for people with intestinal disorders.

id 8737066

tushnurse ( member #21101) posted at 1:32 PM on Thursday, May 26th, 2022

Most protein shakes are made with Whey protein and don't have dairy. Fairlife does but supposedly they do some kind of magic with it so that the lactose particles are so small they don't get those of us lactose intolerant. I dunno. Sometimes fairlife gets me, sometimes I'm fine. But it's the best protein shake on the market as far as texture and taste.

Me: FBSHim: FWSKids: 23 & 27 Married for 32 years now, was 16 at the time.D-Day Sept 26 2008R'd in about 2 years. Old Vet now.

posts: 20243   ·   registered: Oct. 1st, 2008   ·   location: St. Louis
id 8737191

numb&dumb ( member #28542) posted at 6:09 PM on Thursday, May 26th, 2022

My daughter is vegetarian and we've had good luck with hemp protein powder.

Dday 8/31/11. EA/PA. Lied to for 3 years.

Bring it, life. I am ready for you.

id 8737243

zebra25 (original poster member #29431) posted at 12:22 AM on Friday, May 27th, 2022

Thanks for the suggestions. I will check them out.

D-day April 2010

id 8737305
Topic is Sleeping.
Cookies on SurvivingInfidelity.com®

SurvivingInfidelity.com® uses cookies to enhance your visit to our website. This is a requirement for participants to login, post and use other features. Visitors may opt out, but the website will be less functional for you.

v.1.001.20240905a 2002-2024 SurvivingInfidelity.com® All Rights Reserved. • Privacy Policy