Cookies are required for login or registration. Please read and agree to our cookie policy to continue.

Newest Member: Brokenhearted3663

Off Topic :
Germany Trip

Topic is Sleeping.

Gottagetthrough (original poster member #27325) posted at 5:57 PM on Thursday, March 24th, 2022

Done with giving jerks headspace! I need to usw my time to
PLAN THIS TRIP!

We will be going to Germany in a few months. We will also be renting a car to drive to Vienna.

We have leeway in going other places, too. As in, I noticed Bratislava is about an hour from Vienna, and I have never been to Slovakia, so maybe a day trip.

I have also seen Budapest is about 2.5 hrs and Czech Republic is not horribly far either.

Give me some suggestions! The first 5 days we will be in Munich and then about an hour east doing some tourist stuff. After that we have several days to explore what we want.

Some on the trip want to rent a Porche and drive on tge autobahn one day.

Im hoping to do some day trips maybe to Budapest, Bratislavia, MAYBE somewhere in Czech Rep. (Prague seems far but I hear it’s beautiful )

My family is from a small German town 20 minutes north of Basel, Switzerland. Thought about trying to go there.

Munich has a kids museum, and of course tge Hofbrauhaus. We are going to Neuschwanstein castle.

More more more! I need ideas!

id 8725416

tushnurse ( member #21101) posted at 6:58 PM on Thursday, March 24th, 2022

Do you have some sort of trip insurance? I mean I hope things don't devolve but things could get really sketchy not far from there given the current state of affairs.

Just wouldn't want you stuck, having to use an embassy, or lose your $$$$$

Me: FBSHim: FWSKids: 23 & 27 Married for 32 years now, was 16 at the time.D-Day Sept 26 2008R'd in about 2 years. Old Vet now.

posts: 20243   ·   registered: Oct. 1st, 2008   ·   location: St. Louis
id 8725433

Gottagetthrough (original poster member #27325) posted at 1:15 AM on Friday, March 25th, 2022

We havent bought it yet, but its available. Considering all of the participants in the trip, we will get it.

id 8725565

HFSSC ( member #33338) posted at 1:39 PM on Sunday, March 27th, 2022

I just want to say, if anyone will listen to you, please do not rent a Porsche and drive on the autobahn. It takes time and a lot of experience to drive safely at speeds over 100 mph. I don’t know how much has changed since I lived there but at that time a driver’s license required 6 months of driving school and the total cost was quite expensive.

That plan sounds like a guarantee to end in disaster. If “some” decided to do this anyway, please do not go along for the ride.

We always used to say that there aren’t many wrecks on the autobahn but the ones that happen are huge and spectacular.

I hope y’all have a wonderful trip.

Me, 56
Him, 48 (JMSSC)
Married 26 years. Reconciled.

posts: 4962   ·   registered: Sep. 12th, 2011   ·   location: South Carolina
id 8726184

leafields ( Guide #63517) posted at 2:12 PM on Sunday, March 27th, 2022

A past co-worker of mine said the Romanian coast had some of the best beaches he'd ever seen. I didn't check how far that would be from you.

What about Venice or Brittany, or poor King Ludwig's Neuschwanstein Castle?

BW M 34years, Dday 1: March 2018, Dday 2: August 2019, D final 2/25/21

posts: 3734   ·   registered: Apr. 21st, 2018   ·   location: Washington State
id 8726188

devasted30 ( member #39439) posted at 3:00 PM on Sunday, March 27th, 2022

A friend of mine use to be on the police force in Nuremberg…a beautiful city. He use to tell us that if there was an accident on the Autobahn, they would just go there with shovels. The speeds can be crazy. I’ve only driven it a couple of time and once was super fast and the other time was a traffic jam. I do try to avoid it if at all possible. There are so many beautiful, quaint towns in Germany.
Prague is worth the trip….it is everything people say it is. Also, the Czech Republic is very lovely too. If you do not take the Autobahn (which is the wise decision) just remember to add a lot of extra time to your drives. The secondary roads go through so many towns and villages and if you’re there in good weather, road construction is a nightmare.

And remember Murphy is right. Nothing is so bad that it can't get worse!!!

posts: 1944   ·   registered: Jun. 4th, 2013   ·   location: Ontario, Canada
id 8726194

BearlyBreathing ( member #55075) posted at 4:23 PM on Sunday, March 27th, 2022

Gonna agree on the autobahn. I’ve been in an accident on the autobahn and it was super expensive, too. (No one was hurt, one car accident, I was a dumb new driver).

The alte pinakothek is my fav museum in Munich- but I love the old master style paintings. And Dachau is a life-changing place to visit. The horrors humans inflicted on others is an important piece of our history. It’s very close to Munich, easy to get to by train. Berchtesgaden is also beautiful mountain area if it works in to your plans.

If it is on your way, Rothenburg is a tourist destination but I found it charming. Beautiful walled city.

I travel a lot, and I do love the travel books like Lonely Planet. They have the tips/tricks that can make or break a trip. Five years ago I went to Paris, where I had been many times before. I bought a book to see what was new, learn about the tricks and ways to optimize tickets to museums and plan out my itinerary based on their closed dates (many places do close one or two days a week). Taxi drivers were on strike and the lines for trains and Ubers were super long— like an hour or more wait at the airport. The book I read had mentioned that there was a little known ticket booth for the train two flights up in the airport that no one knew about. We went up there, there was no one in line, bought our train ticket, and were on a train 10 minutes after picking up our luggage. They also help you avoid the really worst of the touristy things and help you optimally visit the ones that are worth the hype.

Pickpockets and electronic theft are rampant in Europe. Get an RF ID protective wallet /bag or at least sleeves for your credit card. They can read your cards from a couple feet away if you don’t have those. Friends who live in EU have been victims— they don’t just go after tourists. Super cheap way to protect yourself. Also my banker advised I open a separate account attached to a debit card for my travel but NOT connect it to any other accounts. That way if someone did get in to my account the amount of damage would be limited.

I am jealous — have a wonderful time!

Me: BS 57 (49 on d-day)Him: *who cares ;-) *. D-Day 8/15/2016 LTA. Kinda liking my new life :-)

**horrible typist, lots of edits to correct. :-/ **

posts: 6141   ·   registered: Sep. 10th, 2016   ·   location: Northern CA
id 8726210

Walkthestorm ( member #72157) posted at 6:18 PM on Sunday, March 27th, 2022

What are you interested in? If you like hiking and beautiful mountain scenary then parts of Austria and Slovenia are great. If you have time to venture into northern Italy that would be a bonus. Also Switzerland is breathtaking.

If you are into city touring then for sure Budapest (the bonus being able to soak in hot springs). I really liked Prague as well.

There is also a very beautiful castle that Disney was modeled after. i think it is close to Munchen and right on the autobahn. Could be wort a detour.

I love your idea about renting a fast car. Just keep in mind that most parts of the autobahn do have speed limits (130 km/h).

id 8726219

Gottagetthrough (original poster member #27325) posted at 7:48 PM on Sunday, March 27th, 2022

Thanks for the tip about the autobahn. Im one of the people who wants to rent a car and go out there! Good reality check from you all that it might not be the best decision.

id 8726239

BearlyBreathing ( member #55075) posted at 3:04 AM on Monday, March 28th, 2022

Drive vs going crazy— just driving is fine. But sometimes people think it’s the racetrack. And don’t abide by the very strict pass left, drive right rules.

Me: BS 57 (49 on d-day)Him: *who cares ;-) *. D-Day 8/15/2016 LTA. Kinda liking my new life :-)

**horrible typist, lots of edits to correct. :-/ **

posts: 6141   ·   registered: Sep. 10th, 2016   ·   location: Northern CA
id 8726307

grubs ( member #77165) posted at 8:02 PM on Friday, April 1st, 2022

Just returned from Ireland. This was a rebook from the March 2020 trip that we had to cancel. Read the fine print on travel insurance. Some have exclusions about cancelation due to covid if the CDC has the region rated as Level 4 which almost all countries are at currently. The ones that aren't are likely due to insufficient testing more than reality. I went with just international health insurance as I had cancelation coverage from the credit card and most items were cancelable up to 72 hours prior. The covid test the day before return was the first time I've had test anxiety in a couple of decades. Pretty sure that requirement isn't going anywhere.
Personally I'd use public transit to avoid the pressure of driving where you don't understand the language, but I managed to drive 6 hours on the other side of the road without damaging anything.

id 8727454

MIgander ( member #71285) posted at 8:10 PM on Friday, April 1st, 2022

I have gone to Germany on business. Spent a whole week there in 4 disparate locations in the country. Alone. Don't speak the language.

I found the rail system in Germany to be EXCELLENT. Clean, efficient, friendly, and mostly on time.

I would do rail over drive any day of the week.

WW/BW Dday July 2019. BH/WH- multiple EA's. Denial ain't just a river in Egypt.

posts: 1189   ·   registered: Aug. 15th, 2019   ·   location: Michigan
id 8727457

cass ( member #24261) posted at 10:03 PM on Saturday, April 16th, 2022

I love Germany, Europe's best kept secret. My brother and his wife lived there for many years and I visited often (they lived in Munich). The people are friendly and helpful and the food is wonderful. Last trip we hired a camper (no driving issues) and went from Munich to Lake Konstance (friends there) and then travelled via the Black Forest to Dinkelsbüh and eventually on to Berlin, which is a wonderful city.

Vienna was a grave disappointment with much tourism greed and rudeness - except for the Winter Palace and its wonderful guide. I'd never go back but Saltsburg is beautiful. Prague is wonderful but again has tourist greed and rudeness but worth a visit (spent my 60th birthday there with family). Switzerland is very beautiful.

I'd go back to Germany every chance I got. As a European it's been easy to visit countries close to home including Austria, Luxemburg, Switzerland (stunning scenery), France (close friends there), Spain (SI close friend), Portugal, Belgium, Netherlands, Italy, Ireland, Greece, Denmark and Sweden. All have been wonderful but none has come even close to the experiences I've had in Germany (also been to US once and loved it). Of course it helps that my brother is fluent in German but very many speak English. Good luck and happy holidays grin

DDay - April 2008
Me - 58 and doing great, alone.

Don't put the key to your happiness in someone else's pocket!

posts: 5188   ·   registered: Jun. 4th, 2009   ·   location: Scotland
id 8730134
Topic is Sleeping.
Cookies on SurvivingInfidelity.com®

SurvivingInfidelity.com® uses cookies to enhance your visit to our website. This is a requirement for participants to login, post and use other features. Visitors may opt out, but the website will be less functional for you.

v.1.001.20240905a 2002-2024 SurvivingInfidelity.com® All Rights Reserved. • Privacy Policy