Cookies are required for login or registration. Please read and agree to our cookie policy to continue.

Newest Member: Ncg88

New Beginnings :
The dating over 65 in quarantine question

Topic is Sleeping.

BeeBee64 (original poster member #54718) posted at 1:45 PM on Monday, August 17th, 2020

I'm sure this question gets asked often here. Sorry if it is a newbie move.

I'm 67 and fairly adept at technology, but wondering if I'm past the age to use dating apps. Any recommendations?

I'd planned to be meeting people in person this spring and summer, but - then quarantine happened. It occurs to me that people are probably meeting online (Skype, etc), which might be nice (less pressure).

It would also be good for my situation. I'm working abroad. Online dating would not rely on being in the same city or country.

I was divorced a couple of years ago, and have not really been interested in dating or new relationships, but being in isolation has clarified that other people are a basic necessity for me. I think having people to care about - whether within an intimate relationship or not - is vital.

I have my adult kids, but I try not to lean on them too much, or to burden them with my issues.

I have friends in this country, and it is a joy - and educational - to share their lives, but they are not dates for the most part. I enjoy online visits and even meeting in person, but I'd like some a bit more date-like.

posts: 251   ·   registered: Aug. 19th, 2016   ·   location: New England/Washington, DC region / Ukraine
id 8575100

Okokok ( member #56594) posted at 2:47 PM on Monday, August 17th, 2020

In my experience, there are definitely people on the apps in their 50s and 60s. I actually just did a quick scan of one that I have to confirm this. There were many 50+ and even 60+ profiles.

My advice to you would be to open a free account on all of the big ones, plug in your age-range requirements, and scope things out in your area. Go from there.

I'm pretty sure in the range you're looking at, you're likely to have better luck on some than others. I'm not sure how the mods feel about discussing particular dating apps in the New Beginnings forum, so I'll refrain from doing that for now. But in general, the "quick swipe" apps tend to skew lower (I'd say 99% of the people on there are under 50), but the "comprehensive profile" apps have a wider range.

Erstwhile BH and BBF. Always healing.

Divorced dad with little kids.

posts: 1265   ·   registered: Dec. 29th, 2016   ·   location: Massachusetts
id 8575130

EvenKeel ( member #24210) posted at 3:20 PM on Monday, August 17th, 2020

but wondering if I'm past the age to use dating apps.

No - there is no age limit. You will find folks of all ages there. Now is there a segment that are not online? I am sure there is but you will find others online.

Like okokoooo said, I would just join one and look around. I would use one of the free ones just to see. Besides I found just because a site is a paid one, it doesn't guarantee a better result. I found the same folks on both types of sites.

I know there are sites designed for the age range you are interested in as well.

Folks are looking at all sorts of different things online. Some are interesting in just connecting with someone. Doesn't matter to them where you are. Others are looking for a serious R. So I think you will be able to find companionship you are looking for.

Good luck!

And be smart and safe online. Lots of scammers there but lots of real, regular folks as well.

posts: 6921   ·   registered: May. 31st, 2009   ·   location: Pennsylvania
id 8575149

hcsv ( member #51813) posted at 3:25 PM on Monday, August 17th, 2020

While I have not yet checked out the dating apps, I have several friends our age who have been happily successful using them.

After 40 years, ex turned into someone I didnt know and couldnt trust anymore. Divorced. 1/17

id 8575154

NeverTwice ( member #74421) posted at 4:49 PM on Monday, August 17th, 2020

Hi BeeBee64,

You might want to look at Our Time (dot com). It is specifically geared for people 50 and over. And I believe they have a free trial period as well.

I am 60 and just met (organically and sheer luck!) a very lovely lady. We have had 3 really great dates and things are looking pretty good! So get yourself out there! There are plenty of ladies looking for a guy just like you!

Bonne Chance friend!

[This message edited by NeverTwice at 10:50 AM, August 17th (Monday)]

"Solid boundaries discourage trespassing." - Shirley Glass

posts: 176   ·   registered: May. 12th, 2020   ·   location: Las Tablas, Panama
id 8575201

BeeBee64 (original poster member #54718) posted at 7:17 PM on Monday, August 17th, 2020

Thanks all! I appreciate the info. I don't think you need to worry about mentioned specific apps/sites. I read some other threads in this forum and many were mentioned.

I am 60 and just met (organically and sheer luck!) a very lovely lady. We have had 3 really great dates and things are looking pretty good! So get yourself out there! There are plenty of ladies looking for a guy just like you!

Well, maybe there are plenty looking, but I have a hard time putting myself out there under normal conditions, much less in a pandemic.

I moved in March to a new, bigger, more sophisticated city, leaving a busy job that didn't allow for much of a social life. The social life I did have was taken up with a dear friend who I would have liked to get closer to, but the feeling was not mutual. However, we were such good friends that she satisfied most of my relationship/social needs so it was hard to move on.

Ironically, I got to the new city just as quarantine hit, and instead of finding a new social life I went into lockdown, my social life still revolving around my friend via Skype and texting.

[This message edited by BeeBee64 at 3:17 PM, August 17th (Monday)]

posts: 251   ·   registered: Aug. 19th, 2016   ·   location: New England/Washington, DC region / Ukraine
id 8575298

AnnieOakley ( member #13332) posted at 7:35 PM on Monday, August 17th, 2020

Absolutely.

I see lots of profiles looking for friends only on okcupid. Specially on bumble (paid as a female) there is the option for a BFF profile too.

Me= BSHim=xWH (did the work & became the man I always thought he was, but it was too late)M=23+,T=27+dday=7/06, 8/09 (pics at a work function), 11/09 VAR, 6/12 Sep'd, 10/14 Divorced."If you are going through hell, keep going."

posts: 1714   ·   registered: Jan. 18th, 2007   ·   location: Pacific Time Zone
id 8575309

cantaccept ( member #37451) posted at 12:54 AM on Tuesday, August 18th, 2020

I met my SO on a dating ap. I was 57 at the time and he was 64. It worked for me. You just need to have the right attitude. Not sure how you get to k ow someone during a pandemic, tha does complicate things.

"I'm still standing better than I ever did. Looking like a true survivor, feeling like a little kid" Elton John
I would now like to be known as Can!

dday October 21,2012
dday December 20, 2013
wh deleted
I attempted R, he was a lie

posts: 3505   ·   registered: Nov. 11th, 2012   ·   location: Connecticut
id 8575498

BeeBee64 (original poster member #54718) posted at 6:38 PM on Wednesday, August 19th, 2020

The pandemic complicates things, but I've had some very nice chats with friends online that are almost as fulfilling as seeing someone in person. And that avoids the anxiety of hosting or traveling. It also avoids the anxiety about whether or not to get physical.

id 8576177

EvenKeel ( member #24210) posted at 1:42 PM on Thursday, August 20th, 2020

I have a hard time putting myself out there under normal conditions, much less in a pandemic

That is one of the perks of OLD. If you find you just are not ready or it gets to be too much, you just deactivate your profile for a while. Even many of the OLD pros will take breaks after awhile.

posts: 6921   ·   registered: May. 31st, 2009   ·   location: Pennsylvania
id 8576464
Topic is Sleeping.
Cookies on SurvivingInfidelity.com®

SurvivingInfidelity.com® uses cookies to enhance your visit to our website. This is a requirement for participants to login, post and use other features. Visitors may opt out, but the website will be less functional for you.

v.1.001.20240905a 2002-2024 SurvivingInfidelity.com® All Rights Reserved. • Privacy Policy