Cookies are required for login or registration. Please read and agree to our cookie policy to continue.

Newest Member: Brokenhearted3663

The Book Club :
need a book suggestion, fiction

Topic is Sleeping.

willowchef (original poster member #47361) posted at 9:21 PM on Friday, June 24th, 2016

Ok so I usually read horror and sci fi and fantasy, right now I would like to read something fun about someone that went through divorce and on to new adventure. I don't like romance, I often don't read women authors because I like more athletic prose. I like Anne Tyler and old Anne Rice(she hasn't written well since the early 90s in my opinion) So any suggestions folks. I want to identify with character and be transported out of my gloom.

Spent the last year or so mostly reading marriage and psychology things to save the damn marriage. Well at least I understand the process, he never really bothered.

But now I need a great rip roaring new author

me BS 47
him wh 46
2 children 14 and 11
DD#1 10/11 Found Sexts he stopped contact(found out after second DD this was actually pa
DD#2 1/15 1.5 year affair with same woman from before
DD#3 4/16 date with woman from AFF
separated
9/16 moved back

posts: 107   ·   registered: Mar. 30th, 2015   ·   location: Missouri
id 7590596

devotedman ( member #45441) posted at 8:17 AM on Saturday, June 25th, 2016

You should go google up the Gutenberg Project and start reading some of the out-of-copyright works there.

E. E. "Doc" Smith is a personal favorite. Skylark of Space would be a great place to start.

Written around 1920, so no divorce, and men were men and women were women. Well, until Skylark DuQuesne(?) where the women strapped on revolvers.

Great space opera adventure, though.

First paragraph:

Petrified with astonishment, Richard Seaton stared after the copper steam-bath upon which he had been electrolyzing his solution of "X," the unknown metal. For as soon as he had removed the beaker the heavy bath had jumped endwise from under his hand as though it were alive. It had flown with terrific speed over the table, smashing apparatus and bottles of chemicals on its way, and was even now disappearing through the open window. He seized his prism binoculars and focused them upon the flying vessel, a speck in the distance. Through the glass he saw that it did not fall to the ground, but continued on in a straight line, only its rapidly diminishing size showing the enormous velocity with which it was moving. It grew smaller and smaller, and in a few moments disappeared utterly.

And from there, off we go!

The Skylark of Space

Skylark Three

Skylark of Valeron

and

Skylark DuQuesne

From there, the Subspace Explorers and Subspace Encounters books, The Lensman Series, The Vortex Blaster, Masters of Space, Spacehounds of IPC, and many more. Oh, and The Galaxy Primes.

Me: 2xBS b 1962 xWW after 2 decades, xWGF after almost 1.
Amelia Pond: Who are you?
The Doctor: I don't know yet. I'm still cooking.
ENFP-A. Huh.

posts: 5155   ·   registered: Oct. 30th, 2014   ·   location: Central USA
id 7590940

willowchef (original poster member #47361) posted at 3:38 PM on Saturday, June 25th, 2016

sounds awesome, I will check it out. After spending a years reading on how to fix it all, I am ready for and immersion in escapist lit

me BS 47
him wh 46
2 children 14 and 11
DD#1 10/11 Found Sexts he stopped contact(found out after second DD this was actually pa
DD#2 1/15 1.5 year affair with same woman from before
DD#3 4/16 date with woman from AFF
separated
9/16 moved back

posts: 107   ·   registered: Mar. 30th, 2015   ·   location: Missouri
id 7591075

PinkJeepLady ( member #37575) posted at 6:50 AM on Sunday, June 26th, 2016

I recently read "Girl Waits With Gun" by Amy Stewart and really enjoyed it. I am recommending it to everyone, check it out!

Me: BW Him: FWH
DDay June 1st 2012
cheated with prostitutes overseas
Reconciled - thought so, but now divorcing

posts: 785   ·   registered: Nov. 21st, 2012   ·   location: Out West
id 7591538

Deeply Scared ( Administrator #2) posted at 12:07 PM on Friday, July 1st, 2016

2030 by Albert Brooks was great!

"Don't give up, the beginning is always the hardest." My Mom:)

My tolerance for stupid shit is getting less and less.

id 7596074
Topic is Sleeping.
Cookies on SurvivingInfidelity.com®

SurvivingInfidelity.com® uses cookies to enhance your visit to our website. This is a requirement for participants to login, post and use other features. Visitors may opt out, but the website will be less functional for you.

v.1.001.20240905a 2002-2024 SurvivingInfidelity.com® All Rights Reserved. • Privacy Policy