Cookies are required for login or registration. Please read and agree to our cookie policy to continue.

Newest Member: Brokenhearted3663

Off Topic :
Things that annoy you....That really shouldn't

Topic is Sleeping.

SacredSoul33 ( member #83038) posted at 6:02 PM on Friday, June 2nd, 2023

I have a friend who says "I seen that" instead of "I saw that." It drives me crazy!

My MIL says "liberry" for library.

duh

Remove the "I want you to like me" sticker from your forehead and place it on the mirror, where it belongs. ~ Susan Jeffers

Your nervous system will always choose a familiar hell over an unfamiliar heaven.

id 8793680

WhatsRight ( member #35417) posted at 7:19 PM on Monday, June 5th, 2023

I had a very dear friend from up North… New York. She and I both taught exercise classes at a fitness studio. We started hanging out together and became inseparable as long as we were both in that city.

We soon discovered that there were some language differences that flustered her…especially from my side of the Mason Dixon line.

When I come home from the grocery store, I put my groceries "up". She put her groceries "away".

I invited her and her husband to come to our apartment for dinner. They were supposed to arrive at 7 o’clock. When they got there, I had everything coming out of the oven and off of the stove at exactly the same time, exactly the time they came through the door. It’s the Southern way. blush She got a really funny look on the face, and asked me privately if we wanted them to leave. ???

I said of course not, and asked her why she would think that. She said that in New York, when you invite someone to come to eat dinner at 7 PM, you usually would not begin to eat dinner until 830 or so. I asked her, "What did you do from 7 PM to 8:30 PM?" Her answer… "Drink!"

So, I apologized, and ask them if they would like something to drink. She said, "Sure… What do you have?" I answered, " Tea, Coke, milk, or orange juice". grin She laughed at me and said, "… I was talking about alcohol." Not only did I not have alcohol at the house, I was married to a minister at the time. To whom alcohol is not an option. What an epic fail on my part! Ha ha

I’m not sure if those are examples of what the thread was originally about, but I have to admit that I certainly do love the differences between the different parts of our country. grin

"Noone can make you feel inferior without your concent." Eleanor Roosevelt

I will not be vanquished. Rose Kennedy

posts: 8225   ·   registered: Apr. 23rd, 2012   ·   location: Southeast USA
id 8794014

Reddirtman ( new member #77340) posted at 4:19 PM on Tuesday, June 6th, 2023

I worked for a large corporation for 35 years, and one of my default jobs was to write reports and inter-company memorandums for my boss, the V P of Operations. I was very proficient at this, and since my background was in Engineering, I was also well versed in articulating in an almost clinical manner. My wife was a legal secretary for 30 years, and wrote legal briefs and letters for her attorney boss, as well as others in her firm.
Many times over the years, we would bounce ideas and thoughts off each other in order to finalize whatever item we were working on at the time, and often, our corrections for each other ranged from spelling mistakes to grammatical errors, or general punctuation.
Now that we are empty nesters, she loves to correct my mistakes on social media, and I jokingly refer to her as the "grammar nazi".

posts: 22   ·   registered: Feb. 18th, 2021   ·   location: OK
id 8794145

tushnurse ( member #21101) posted at 12:58 AM on Wednesday, June 7th, 2023

I was just reminded of 2 that make me NUTS!!!!

1. Reporters who lead off their report with Yah when the story gets tossed to them. So wrong.

2. HIPAA being used in notes as HIPPA. It makes me insane crazy. This is done my "medical professionals" daily. Learn the difference and the correct abbreviation. You look like a moron.

The end

Me: FBSHim: FWSKids: 23 & 27 Married for 32 years now, was 16 at the time.D-Day Sept 26 2008R'd in about 2 years. Old Vet now.

posts: 20243   ·   registered: Oct. 1st, 2008   ·   location: St. Louis
id 8794208

number4 ( member #62204) posted at 1:27 AM on Wednesday, June 7th, 2023

2. HIPAA being used in notes as HIPPA. It makes me insane crazy.

OMG! How could I forget that one? That's probably in my top three annoyances! And yes, especially when it comes from someone within the medical profession.

Me: BWHim: WHMarried - 30+ yearsTwo adult daughters1st affair: 2005-20072nd-4th affairs: 2016-2017Many assessments/polygraph: no sex addictionStatus: R

posts: 1358   ·   registered: Jan. 10th, 2018   ·   location: New England
id 8794211

nomudnolotus ( member #59431) posted at 11:38 PM on Sunday, June 18th, 2023

I'm going to "ax" you a question.

What is that?

I do want to say though, my daughter is dyslexic. She graduated from University then went back to College.

All the things you're talking about are very hard for her, they don't make sense.

So I think that makes me a little more tolerant.

id 8795868

Blackbird25 ( member #82766) posted at 1:36 PM on Monday, June 19th, 2023

My military husband is from the south. When we met, dated and then moved in together it was all well before I met his family because he was 5 states away from them. He took me to his hometown to meet his family 6 months later. I’m from Southern California btw. Anyway, his mom invited me to go to "the grocery" with her. Umm what? I kept waiting for her to finish her sentence - you mean "the grocery..STORE"? Nope. It’s just "the grocery". Even now when my husband asks (we’ve been married 27 yrs now) are you going to the grocery. I’ll say you mean the grocery STORE?! Another thing that cracks me up is he’ll say something like, "I’m so hungry! I haven’t ATE all day!!" Huh? You mean you haven’t EATEN? That’s how his whole family says that - ATE instead of EATEN. I tried to explain the past tense of the verb "eat". Yesterday I ATE the pie. It’s an action that was completed yesterday, past tense. Husband says, it’s ate because I have not ate yet all day - which is past tense. Huh? Nope. You haven’t eaten yet. And then I have to explain past participles, past perfect, present perfect, future perfect tense. LOL And then he’ll just say - can I just have my dinner now??? laugh No, because I haven’t gone to the grocery yet!! wink
Oh, one more - he works on an ambulance. The correct pronunciation sounds like am-bu-lance, with that 2nd syllable "bu" pronounced like the "beau" in "beautiful" or "beauty". What he gets is Am-boo-laaaance. "I’m going to the hospital in the AMBOOLAAAANCE!!"
I work at a major university, in the College of Business. We graduate students with Bachelor’s degrees in Business Administration, Marketing, Accounting , Finance, and Economics. We also have an Master’s of Business Management (MSM) and an MBA program. It’s 2023 and the quality of workmanship I see in papers written by students IN OUR BUSINESS SCHOOL is atrocious! Professors complain all the time about the quality of work our students turn in - it’s so bad that our university has created a learning lab so that these college students can learn to write!! It will be mandatory for some students. I had a graduate student turn in an essay for proofreading for a scholarship application - it was a full page of NO punctuation, not a single period to be found. Looked like one giant run on sentence. Are ya kidding me right now??? Graduate student!

Me: BS Him: WH, Married 1996 -
DDay#1: 6/1/2012 (EA 3 mos, PA 1 month) - DDay#2: 12/26/22 (EA, 1 wk) -
Reconciling and doing well.

posts: 203   ·   registered: Jan. 23rd, 2023   ·   location: USA
id 8795940

suddenlyisee ( member #32689) posted at 5:06 PM on Monday, June 19th, 2023

Any use of "my bad" under literally any circumstance.

Also, the use of "literally" when the speaker means "figuratively".
example: "I literally died when he pronounced 'etcetera' as 'eggsedra'!"

Finally, pronouncing "etcetera" as "eggsedra". (Like nails on a chalkboard.)

None of these things make a bit of difference to the stability of the galaxy, but I sure notice them every time. Literally.

Semi-pro BS in R

posts: 493   ·   registered: Jul. 6th, 2011   ·   location: Michigan
id 8795983

zebra25 ( member #29431) posted at 6:09 PM on Monday, June 19th, 2023

"LOL And then he’ll just say - can I just have my dinner now??? laugh No, because I haven’t gone to the grocery yet!! wink"

laugh laugh laugh

I grew up in NJ and now live west of there in a rural area. When I moved here I would hear people say grocery without using store with it. I never heard that before. It sounds so funny.

People used to make fun of my accent and would laugh but really wanted to say, " listen, at least I don't say let a message or the grass needs cut or I have to stop at the grocery." laugh

Honestly, I am not a grammar snob and I make mistakes myself. Somethings just sound so obviously wrong to me without needing to know the rules. I guess if you grow up hearing things spoken wrong it's hard to correct that.

"Don't let anyone who hasn't been in your shoes tell you how to tie your laces."

D-day April 2010

id 8795994

grubs ( member #77165) posted at 5:38 PM on Tuesday, June 20th, 2023

Professors complain all the time about the quality of work our students turn in - it’s so bad that our university has created a learning lab so that these college students can learn to write!!

The better grammar is how you tag those using ChatGPT to do their work...

id 8796122

SkipThumelue ( member #82934) posted at 6:06 PM on Tuesday, June 20th, 2023

Where I grew up, people have the habit of ending a statement with the word "say" slightly inflected as a question.

Ex. "Boy, it's really hot today, say(?)"

The proper response has always been to nod in agreement and reply that yes, it sure is hot.

And don't get me started on "Youse guys" laugh

I haven't used "say" at the end of a statement in a looong time and I'm very proud of that. However...

Two that particularly annoy my wife that I'm still guilty of are pronouncing the word colander as "COAL-ander". And grocery shopping is called "food shopping".

WH

DD: 5/2019

Reconciling and extremely grateful.

I do not accept PMs.

"The truth is like a lion. You don't have to defend it. Let it loose. It will defend itself." - St. Augustine

id 8796129

PricklePatch ( member #34041) posted at 7:13 AM on Wednesday, June 21st, 2023

I visited Oklahoma from the west coast. I was surprised when I was asked if I wanted some Al Key hall aka alcohol.

I have no room to edit anyone, as I have a learning disability. My disability is seeing what my head writes, not what I have written.

BS Fwh

id 8796227

WhatsRight ( member #35417) posted at 8:28 PM on Friday, June 30th, 2023

Raising my hand as a person who always says, "going to the grocery". In fact…

According to my phone…

gro·cer·y
/ˈɡrōs(ə)rē/
noun
a grocer's store or business.
"I went to the grocery to buy some fruit"

I’m just sayin’.

😊😊😊

id 8797714

Bulcy (original poster member #74034) posted at 11:15 PM on Saturday, July 1st, 2023

Not saying "Thank you" when you hold a door open for someone or move out of their way. It's as if it was my duty to do it for some!

(Still annoyed from last weekend, so must be deep psychological damage I guess smile )

WH (50's)

Multiple sexual, emotional and online affairs. Financial infidelity and emotional abuse. Physical abuse and intimidation.

D-days 2003, 2017, multiple d-days and TT through 2018 to 2023. 28 years of destructive and health damaging choice

posts: 371   ·   registered: Mar. 12th, 2020   ·   location: UK
id 8797838

DaddyDom ( member #56960) posted at 2:26 PM on Sunday, July 2nd, 2023

It drives me crazy that people use the word "jealous" when they mean "envy".

e.g. "You have the new iPhone? I'm so jealous!"

No, you're not. You're envious.

Envy is when someone else has something you want.

Jealousy is when you are possessive of something and fear rivalship.

e.g. Tom was jealous of his wife spending so much time out with her girlfriends.

Me: WS
BS: ISurvivedSoFar
D-Day Nov '16
"I am floored by the amount of grace and love she has shown me in choosing to stay and fight for our marriage. I took everything from her, and yet she chose to forgive me."

id 8797903

BraveSirRobin ( member #69242) posted at 3:35 PM on Sunday, July 2nd, 2023

Anyway, his mom invited me to go to "the grocery" with her. Umm what? I kept waiting for her to finish her sentence - you mean "the grocery..STORE"? Nope. It’s just "the grocery". Even now when my husband asks (we’ve been married 27 yrs now) are you going to the grocery. I’ll say you mean the grocery STORE?!

It's funny, I grew up saying "grocery store," and I've semi-adopted my MIL's habit of saying just "grocery." My rationale is that I'd never say "bakery store" instead of "bakery," though I guess I might say "bake shop" or "butcher shop." "Dairy" would never be "dairy store," but then a dairy (like a bakery) is an entity that produces a product; selling it to the public may or may not occur on premises.

Linguistics fascinate me.

WW/BW

id 8797908

BearlyBreathing ( member #55075) posted at 4:50 PM on Sunday, July 2nd, 2023

I am guilty of so many grammatical errors, and half are due to really bad typing skills. The other half is my own issues :-)
I still struggle with lay/lie, sit/set, affect/effect.
The ones that make me cringe every time I read them are loose/lose and choose/chose.
And in restaurants when they mis-spell Caesar or vinaigrette.

A note on the college papers: I got my master’s a couple years ago and the professors never critiqued anyone’s writing skills other than spelling. They did offer a seminar on writing skills and it was included in the grading rubric, but none of us saw any feedback. A few of my cohort members really could not string a couple sentences together into a paragraph, but the school did not seem to care.

Me: BS 57 (49 on d-day)Him: *who cares ;-) *. D-Day 8/15/2016 LTA. Kinda liking my new life :-)

**horrible typist, lots of edits to correct. :-/ **

posts: 6144   ·   registered: Sep. 10th, 2016   ·   location: Northern CA
id 8797912

Jeaniegirl ( member #6370) posted at 6:22 PM on Sunday, July 2nd, 2023

A lot that might be considered grammatical errors could also be attributed to just .... where we live and how we've always 'said and heard things.'

When I think about a trip, I picture myself standing in my area on a map of the USA So California would be 'out there', Houston Texas would be 'down there.' New Mexico would be 'over there." New York would be 'up there' and Florida would be 'down there.' smile

I agree with the MY BAD slang and I always want to respond by saying ....YOU just stupid, not MY bad.

"Because I deserve better"

id 8797924

ff4152 ( member #55404) posted at 1:17 PM on Monday, July 3rd, 2023

No problem instead of you’re welcome. Drives me insane.

Me -FWS

id 8797983

WhatsRight ( member #35417) posted at 2:13 AM on Tuesday, July 4th, 2023

Oh dear, I absolutely do some of the things that y’all are referencing.

I almost always say "no worries" when someone either apologizes for some thing, or thanks me for something.

id 8798042
Topic is Sleeping.
Cookies on SurvivingInfidelity.com®

SurvivingInfidelity.com® uses cookies to enhance your visit to our website. This is a requirement for participants to login, post and use other features. Visitors may opt out, but the website will be less functional for you.

v.1.001.20240905a 2002-2024 SurvivingInfidelity.com® All Rights Reserved. • Privacy Policy