Cookies are required for login or registration. Please read and agree to our cookie policy to continue.

Newest Member: Brokenhearted3663

General :
Meeting Ex Spouses' Affair Partner

Topic is Sleeping.

ScarredGuy (original poster new member #63866) posted at 6:25 PM on Thursday, December 21st, 2023

I've been divorced from my XWW for almost seven years. In all, we had a mature divorce, but I haven't had contact with her in about six years. She proceeded at some point to marry her AP, whom I have still never met.

I've remained very close friends with a relative of my XWW as they are not a blood relative of hers and we were close friends for years prior to the divorce. This person made it clear that our friendship was just as important to them and the divorce would not interfere, which has remained true to this day.

I was invited to my friends kids graduation party, who refers to me as "uncle" since I've known him since he was a wee lad. I know my XXW and her AP will be there, so part of me wants to decline the invitation. Honestly, I don't want to meet my XWW's AP. I have since moved on with my life and have a wife and kid, but I just have no desire to meet the person who is part responsible for years of emotional and psychological pain. I'm not afraid of conflict, but I just don't want that to be the time/place where I meet him for the first time, if ever. I think my friend might understand, but I'm just torn.

Thoughts?

[This message edited by ScarredGuy at 7:51 PM, Thursday, December 21st]

id 8818983

swoned ( member #54719) posted at 6:34 PM on Thursday, December 21st, 2023

your friend will understand.

D-Day 6/22/16Ended in Divorce 07/02/18Remarried.

id 8818987

InkHulk ( member #80400) posted at 12:17 AM on Friday, December 22nd, 2023

Seems like a risk/reward situation you need to weigh for yourself. Is the benefit of attending this gathering worth the risk of the emotional turmoil it might cause? If you still (very understandably) have anxiety around this person, I say listen to your gut and don’t risk throwing your inner balance off for who knows how long. Just my two cents.

People are more important than the relationships they are in.

id 8819036

Hippo16 ( member #52440) posted at 12:35 AM on Friday, December 22nd, 2023

A few thoughts?

After seven years - I would think you would have mentally relegated your ex to same place you put the milk delivery and postman guys. (or girls?)

NO? then you have work to do on yourself

I would say you should inventory yourself - self opinion(s)/career/hobbies/family/general social situation. Sub-conscientiously maybe you are worried you may not "measure up" to AP appearance or other attributes?
No matter how good or bad you are in life, there will always be another somewhere either worse or better. Just life as it is -

I also wonder if you don't realize you "lost" something which, further in life, you realize you are better off no longer attached. If she had divorced you first, that would have been better. But "XWW" - that is an item for which you are much better off without.

IF you consider attending the get-together - maybe you could ask for friend to let you know, if possible, when XWW will be present and you can go before or after and at least make a cameo appearance.

No go? Then ask if friend maybe would have you over for a visit some other time?

There's no troubled marriage that can't be made worse with adultery.If you’re looking for an adrenaline rush, why not bungee jumping off a bridge span? For an extra thrill, don’t anchor the cord.

posts: 927   ·   registered: Mar. 26th, 2016   ·   location: OBX
id 8819038

SacredSoul33 ( member #83038) posted at 12:36 AM on Friday, December 22nd, 2023

I think I'd let my friend know that I can't be there, but would love to celebrate the graduate another day. I can't imagine having to socialize with the happy couple. *shudder*

Remove the "I want you to like me" sticker from your forehead and place it on the mirror, where it belongs. ~ Susan Jeffers

Your nervous system will always choose a familiar hell over an unfamiliar heaven.

id 8819039

JadedByItAll ( member #60042) posted at 1:46 AM on Friday, December 22nd, 2023

Who says you have to socialize with them? Why can you not just ignore them and, instead, just focus on your friend`s son and his big day?

id 8819045

survrus ( member #67698) posted at 3:07 AM on Friday, December 22nd, 2023

SG,

Know your enemy so go.

I went to see OM1 after 25 years or so and it's nice to know what he looks like now.

More data is better data.

posts: 1507   ·   registered: Nov. 1st, 2018   ·   location: USA
id 8819047

SacredSoul33 ( member #83038) posted at 4:24 AM on Friday, December 22nd, 2023

Who says you have to socialize with them? Why can you not just ignore them and, instead, just focus on your friend`s son and his big day?

I used the word "socialize" loosely, assuming that it would be a smallish family party and thus harder to keep one’s distance. I wouldn’t want to be in close quarters with them, but that’s just me.

We attend a company party with the AP every couple of years and I get torqued up every time. And that’s with hundreds of other people as a buffer. I can’t imagine being in a more intimate setting where I’d hear her voice or laugh. That’s a big nope from me.

I commend those who can handle it.

Remove the "I want you to like me" sticker from your forehead and place it on the mirror, where it belongs. ~ Susan Jeffers

Your nervous system will always choose a familiar hell over an unfamiliar heaven.

id 8819055

rambler ( member #43747) posted at 5:15 AM on Friday, December 22nd, 2023

I would go and showed them that I survived. You have A woman who loves you ad I hope you love. OM has a cheater. No need to hide.

making it through

posts: 1414   ·   registered: Jun. 17th, 2014   ·   location: Chicago
id 8819056
Topic is Sleeping.
Cookies on SurvivingInfidelity.com®

SurvivingInfidelity.com® uses cookies to enhance your visit to our website. This is a requirement for participants to login, post and use other features. Visitors may opt out, but the website will be less functional for you.

v.1.001.20240905a 2002-2024 SurvivingInfidelity.com® All Rights Reserved. • Privacy Policy