Cookies are required for login or registration. Please read and agree to our cookie policy to continue.

Newest Member: Brokenhearted3663

Off Topic :
I bought a Kayak

Topic is Sleeping.

Chaos (original poster member #61031) posted at 5:50 PM on Tuesday, May 31st, 2022

WH and I got kayaks. We wanted to do that for a few years, but stupid budgetary responsibilities LOL.

So...we got them over the weekend and can't wait to use them [my vest had to be ordered - as I'm built like a Modern Day Marilyn - I need a vest designed for a woman - those unisex ones weren't butting it for me].

Anyway - kayaking SI buddies - give me some tips! We live not far from a local municipal park that has a 300 acre reservoir.

For reference is is the Pelican Bandit NXT 100 which is supposed to be good for beginners. She's blue (because they didn't have the pink). And she's beautiful. WH got one as well but that is designed for fishing.

I need a name for new kayak. I'm working on accessorizing her.

I'd love name suggestions as well as tips, tricks, helpful hints you all may share. Looking forward to gliding along the water and letting my mind go blank except for the peace and tranquility.

BS-me/WH-4.5yrLTA Married 2+ decades - Children (1 still at home) Multiple DDays w/same AP until I told OBS 2018 Cease & Desist sent spring 2021"Hello–My name is Chaos–You f***ed my husband-Prepare to Die!"

posts: 3839   ·   registered: Oct. 13th, 2017   ·   location: East coast
id 8737933

Buck ( member #72012) posted at 9:37 PM on Tuesday, May 31st, 2022

Have you kayaked at all? I also have a fishing kayak and have been using it a bunch lately.

The best advice I got was to purposely tip over and practice getting back on the kayak. It's best to prepare yourself for the inevitable beforehand. Buy or make a paddle tether. Oh, I would also recommend a cheap waterproof LED headlamp and use it at dawn\dusk. Mainly for extra visibility if there are boats in the vicinity, but it's spooky as hell paddling in the dark without a light. Sometimes I overestimate my fitness and the return trip takes longer than it should...

posts: 371   ·   registered: Nov. 4th, 2019   ·   location: Texas
id 8737969

BearlyBreathing ( member #55075) posted at 3:33 AM on Wednesday, June 1st, 2022

Kayasssss the Kayak? (Say it out loud :-) ). Floaty McFloatface? Floatilla the Hun?

No idea about any of that other than I love watching them on the river and marina by my house.
Enjoy!

Me: BS 57 (49 on d-day)Him: *who cares ;-) *. D-Day 8/15/2016 LTA. Kinda liking my new life :-)

**horrible typist, lots of edits to correct. :-/ **

posts: 6144   ·   registered: Sep. 10th, 2016   ·   location: Northern CA
id 8738010

Jeaniegirl ( member #6370) posted at 3:47 AM on Wednesday, June 1st, 2022

I like water, boats and lakes. But no way am I going to get in something with my little short legs dangling down for gawd knows what to nibble on. You are brave! laugh laugh I've had fish nibble at my toes before and sends me into a panic. smile

Name 'her' Cute Chaos.

"Because I deserve better"

id 8738011

tushnurse ( member #21101) posted at 1:46 PM on Wednesday, June 1st, 2022

Kayaks are a blast. We got one for each kid one year for Xmas, and we float rivers around here. We also have a couple canoes, so the upgrade to the kayaks for the kids was a great choice, they are the sit down in kind, not on top of. They are fun to use, and I find it quite relaxing. You get so much closer to the water, there is something very relaxing about it.

They are harder to flip especially in a lake than you would guess. But I agree that you should be comfortable with flipping it, climbing back in, and also dumping the water out on your own. Ours are lightweight and can carry it on my own w/o any struggle at all. My H just purchased a sit on top for our recent trip to FL, and he planned to use as a fishing kayak, and will start outfitting it, so that we can take it when we go to FL with the camper he has it.

Have fun, and give yourself a bit of time to figure out a name for it. Our canoes have our last name family on them and on one we have handprints of each of us in primary colors, and the other has foot prints in primary colors. The kids kayaks do not have anything on them, but now that they are out of the house my daughter is wanting hers, and she will take it when they have a place to store it. Her fiance will need one as well, and his will need to be different as he is 6'4", he crammed himself in hers, and it was quite comical.

Enjoy, be safe, and watch for boats, boaters often don't see you, and often aren't skilled at what they are doing.

Me: FBSHim: FWSKids: 23 & 27 Married for 32 years now, was 16 at the time.D-Day Sept 26 2008R'd in about 2 years. Old Vet now.

posts: 20243   ·   registered: Oct. 1st, 2008   ·   location: St. Louis
id 8738060

countrydirt ( member #55758) posted at 6:21 PM on Wednesday, June 1st, 2022

I have a similar kayak and have an absolute blast in it. The best thing to do to start, put it in the water and climb aboard and start paddling.

Be aware of wind though. Not fun or safe to kayak in the wind. Wear sunscreen and pay attention to getting it on your knees! Get you a big floppy sun hat. Take a small cooler with drinks and snacks. Maybe even a book. Relax and reconnect with your soul on the water!

I mainly take mine on reservoirs or lakes, but I've also floated it down the river here in our town.

3 adult sonsMarried 32 years. DDay1 - June 2016, DDay 2 - April 2017, Final DDay - May 2020. Divorced - January 2021
Life is Good!

posts: 531   ·   registered: Oct. 25th, 2016   ·   location: Colorado
id 8738084

whatisloveanyway ( member #66450) posted at 9:48 PM on Wednesday, June 1st, 2022

Congrats. We have been kayaking and camping for a few years now, and live on a reservoir with lots of nooks and crannies to explore, and many little hidden waterfalls. I learned on a small lake and had no problems with balance or wind and I hope to never tip over. My life jacket inflates when wet or with a cord pull, so I have no plans to get wet.

Invest in some good aqua socks or quick drying shoes. H wears crocs. You never know what you might step on launching.

He fishes, I explore and take pictures. I always have a waterproof bag for camera and phone, extra suncreen, because you burn fast out there, a cooler with snacks and beverages and a little party bucket in case I have to pee, and I almost always have to! We think mornings are the most beautiful, and it's amazing how peaceful and relaxing a paddle can be. Watch your timing to be back by sunset and the flashlight idea is a good one. For fishing tournaments, H has to put the little flag and light pole up on his yak.

For river floats, you have to coordinate with two cars. I learned to pull the trailer that way. Floats are more fun, because you cover so much more ground quickly, but be careful with rocks and fast water. I learned to be very careful under tree branches, that's how you collect spiders and bugs and the occasional snake.

Once you start looking, there are lakes and launches everywhere and so many reasons to explore. Have a blast. My next upgrade will be a pedal kayak, even though they are heavy for me to launch. My shoulder is not up for long paddles any more.

Mine doesn't have a name, but she's sturdy and just my size. Neon Lime green and black. I upgraded the seat for better lumbar support. Otherwise I'm a happy paddler. Hope you are too.

Edited to add big sun hat is key. Amazon is selling every color of lightweight cute ones with straps so they don't blow off for under $20. Also boat wakes are a little dicey if you have wake boarders about, so practice cutting through the swells.

[This message edited by whatisloveanyway at 9:52 PM, Wednesday, June 1st]

BW: 64 WH: 64 Both 57 on Dday, M 37 years, 2 grown kids. WH had 9 year A with MOW, 7 month false R, multiple DDays from 2017 - 2022, with five years of trickle truth and lies. I got rid of her with one email. Reconciling, or trying to.

posts: 574   ·   registered: Oct. 9th, 2018   ·   location: Southeastern USA
id 8738126

Chaos (original poster member #61031) posted at 12:06 AM on Tuesday, June 7th, 2022

Well...she still doesn't have a name but is my new BFF. We've been out a few times already. We'd kayak before but always borrowed or rented. But the freedom of owning one!

I have our dry packs ready to go for next time. Contents: water bottles, whistle, cell phone waterproof bag, chapstick, SPF, towel. We have hats and water shoes. I have a soft side cooler ready to go at a moments notice for granola bars, snacks, drinks, etc.

WH's has rod holders. I am content to paddle around and watch the scenery. I even saw a few bald eagles in all their majestic glory. This was the most peaceful thing I've done in a long time. I can't wait to go again.

BS-me/WH-4.5yrLTA Married 2+ decades - Children (1 still at home) Multiple DDays w/same AP until I told OBS 2018 Cease & Desist sent spring 2021"Hello–My name is Chaos–You f***ed my husband-Prepare to Die!"

posts: 3839   ·   registered: Oct. 13th, 2017   ·   location: East coast
id 8738960

Gottagetthrough ( member #27325) posted at 1:37 PM on Friday, June 10th, 2022

Flotilla the Hun!! I love that one!! laugh

My only advice is no tandem kayaks! My oldest and I started kayaking in those and they are hard! First time we used single kayaks, we were like, THIS is fun!!!

I would try out different places to kayak. See what you like, and that might change every time you go out. We kayak on one lake that is completely still. Its good for relaxing. There is another Ive been on that was good for beginners, very soft flow if water.

One near my mom was so darn fast once and FUN! But I ended up jumping out at the end to get back to the kayak place (i have only rented, and this was one where they take you to a drop off spot and let you float back to the rental place). I was scared for a second the water was going to take us further down stream it was so fast!! I think that was in a tandem with my kid who was probably 10.

Have fun!!!

id 8739538
Topic is Sleeping.
Cookies on SurvivingInfidelity.com®

SurvivingInfidelity.com® uses cookies to enhance your visit to our website. This is a requirement for participants to login, post and use other features. Visitors may opt out, but the website will be less functional for you.

v.1.001.20240905a 2002-2024 SurvivingInfidelity.com® All Rights Reserved. • Privacy Policy