Cookies are required for login or registration. Please read and agree to our cookie policy to continue.

Newest Member: Brokenhearted3663

Off Topic :
Dog people

Topic is Sleeping.

zebra25 (original poster member #29431) posted at 1:40 AM on Tuesday, April 12th, 2022

Anyone have a dog with seizures?

Mine was just diagnosed. I brought my concern to the vet's attention two or more years ago and was brushed off. They said he was probably falling down from the effort it takes to vomit and some dogs are dramatic.

This weekend he had an episode that I was able to film. I had another vet look at it and he said he definitely had a seizure. Fortunately if it was related to a brain tumor or something else really bad we would know by now. The type of seizures he seems to be having are not doing any damage.

I'm a little annoyed because I was led to believe all the vomiting was due to stomach issues. He was even on prescription food for a while. I guess I should have trusted myself and pushed.

The vet told me I don't need to medicate him at this point and there is nothing I need to do.

He is nine, the sweetest dog and I love him so much. I hope this isn't going to shorten his life.

"Don't let anyone who hasn't been in your shoes tell you how to tie your laces."

D-day April 2010

id 8729294

MIgander ( member #71285) posted at 2:08 AM on Tuesday, April 12th, 2022

So, funny thing, my friend's dog has seizures too. Hers got put on lamotrigine (Lamictal) for the seizures. I take lamotrigine for mood stabilization too. It works for seizures in humans as well (at much higher doses than what I'm on).

Thing is, my friend was being charged $100/mo to get her dog medicine. My 3 month supply cost me $5. I'm on an 80/20 plan for Rx, so, that's a total of what, $25 for an uninsured patient? Either way, I asked her if they were dispensing name brand or generic. She didn't know, but she's going to check.

Anyway, you can get lamotrigine for dogs' seizures. Who knew? Not sure if your dog's seizures are the same as hers, but maybe something to ask about?

WW/BW Dday July 2019. BH/WH- multiple EA's. Denial ain't just a river in Egypt.

posts: 1189   ·   registered: Aug. 15th, 2019   ·   location: Michigan
id 8729299

zebra25 (original poster member #29431) posted at 2:28 AM on Tuesday, April 12th, 2022

Thanks. I will file that away. As of now he doesn't need to be medicated but that could change if the seizures increase in frequency.

"Don't let anyone who hasn't been in your shoes tell you how to tie your laces."

D-day April 2010

id 8729305

FairyTaleGone ( member #79059) posted at 1:59 PM on Tuesday, April 12th, 2022

our Aussie was diagnosed with epilepsy back in 2020. One day he was fine and the next he was having what they call "cluster" seizures. He had 5 in a row. He bought himself a trip to the emergency vet, and has been on Levitiracetam 3 times daily ever since. He was having some breakthrough seizures here and there, but I started making his dog food myself with fresh ingredients and he hasn't had a breakthrough in a long time now.

I'm sorry to hear that your fur baby is having them, too. They can be so scary. But something our vet told me that was comforting was that they don't have any idea what is going on, and the seizures don't hurt them.

DDay 1 - 2/19/21 (found out about EA)DDay 2 - 5/22/21 (TT found burner phone)DDay 3 - 6/9/21 (TT found out about PA)

EA/PA ended 3/22/21 -WH went NCWorking on R15yr old DD at home - unfortunately knows way too much

id 8729348

grubs ( member #77165) posted at 3:10 PM on Tuesday, April 12th, 2022

Couple of decades ago I had a cocker spaniel that had grand mals. Typically when over excited. The vet mentioned we could treat it but there were adverse effects of the treatment (liver I beleive) and that unless they became more frequent it was ok to just mitigate without medication. When he seized, I just wrapped him in a blanket or towel to keep him from hurting himself and worked on calming him down. He lived another decade before dying of old age.

id 8729363

zebra25 (original poster member #29431) posted at 3:47 PM on Tuesday, April 12th, 2022

FairyTale, my vet also told me that he is not aware of what happened and that it is worse for me to watch. That did make me feel better knowing the seizures aren't upsetting for him.

What fresh ingredients do you feed your pup?

Grubs, good to know your dog lived a long life!!

D-day April 2010

id 8729371

BearlyBreathing ( member #55075) posted at 4:44 PM on Tuesday, April 12th, 2022

I had a cat with seizures. Basically nothing could be done, but they really didn’t bother that cat. I worried he’d have one when walking along the rafters in the garage or something, but he never did. He did fine.

Sending good mojo to you and your pup.

Me: BS 57 (49 on d-day)Him: *who cares ;-) *. D-Day 8/15/2016 LTA. Kinda liking my new life :-)

**horrible typist, lots of edits to correct. :-/ **

posts: 6141   ·   registered: Sep. 10th, 2016   ·   location: Northern CA
id 8729383

Tanner ( Guide #72235) posted at 4:57 PM on Tuesday, April 12th, 2022

I had German Shepard that would have one about every 6 weeks. He would fall and struggled to get his legs under him, he would try to stand up and couldn’t, then he would vomit and seem ok. The Vet did confirm it was a seizure but said said we didn’t need to do anything about it, so we never did, we just comforted him during the episode.

Dday Sept 7 2019 doing well in R BH M 32 years

posts: 3542   ·   registered: Dec. 5th, 2019   ·   location: Texas DFW
id 8729386

Jeaniegirl ( member #6370) posted at 5:25 PM on Tuesday, April 12th, 2022

My precious little Granddog (daughter's dog) passed in January and she was having seizures the last two weeks of her life. That is very sad and scary to watch. But she was almost 14 and had congestive heart failure. She was on meds but only had the seizures those final two weeks. We would just pick her up and hold her close.

It pains us to see the fur babies in any kind of pain or distress.

"Because I deserve better"

id 8729391

FairyTaleGone ( member #79059) posted at 5:51 PM on Tuesday, April 12th, 2022

When the vet told me he wasn't in pain it made me feel a lot better. I was a frazzled mess by the time we made it to the emergency vet that day!

I make up a big batch at a time to save a little money, but this is what I put in there:

5lbs 80/20 ground beef
4 cups of brown rice (made with beef broth)
1 can of pureed pumpkin
2 bags of frozen carrots & peas
2 bags of frozen green beans
2 bags of frozen sweet potatoes

This lasts us a little over a month, and it freezes really well. I just pull a bag out of the freezer the night before when we are getting low, and it is defrosted when we wake up.

DDay 1 - 2/19/21 (found out about EA)DDay 2 - 5/22/21 (TT found burner phone)DDay 3 - 6/9/21 (TT found out about PA)

EA/PA ended 3/22/21 -WH went NCWorking on R15yr old DD at home - unfortunately knows way too much

id 8729396

DevastatedDee ( member #59873) posted at 7:21 PM on Tuesday, April 12th, 2022

Couple of decades ago I had a cocker spaniel that had grand mals. Typically when over excited. The vet mentioned we could treat it but there were adverse effects of the treatment (liver I beleive) and that unless they became more frequent it was ok to just mitigate without medication. When he seized, I just wrapped him in a blanket or towel to keep him from hurting himself and worked on calming him down. He lived another decade before dying of old age.

I had a cocker spaniel growing up who was the same. She would seize when she was really excited. She (weirdly) loved going to the vet and loved the groomer and those were the places she would most likely have a seizure. She was too old for them to want to medicate her, so we just kept her calm and stopped taking her places other than the vet and the poor girl looked rough the last couple of years because my dad and I were then responsible for grooming her and we definitely weren't groomers, lol. They never seemed to give her any lasting issues, but it was so scary.

DDay: 06/07/2017
MH - RA on DDay.
Divorced a serial cheater (prostitutes and lord only knows who and what else).

id 8729414

zebra25 (original poster member #29431) posted at 12:53 AM on Wednesday, April 13th, 2022

Tanner, that sounds very similar to what my guy does except he vomits first than falls down.

Jeannie, how sad you lost your granddog. While 14 is old for a dog it just isn't long enough.

Thank you BearlyBreathing.

FairyTail, thank you for posting the ingredients. I think I will start adding some of those to his kibble.

Dee, thanks for sharing your story. I feel better knowing many others have had pups with this issue.

I appreciate all the replies. You all are the best!!

D-day April 2010

id 8729474
Topic is Sleeping.
Cookies on SurvivingInfidelity.com®

SurvivingInfidelity.com® uses cookies to enhance your visit to our website. This is a requirement for participants to login, post and use other features. Visitors may opt out, but the website will be less functional for you.

v.1.001.20240905a 2002-2024 SurvivingInfidelity.com® All Rights Reserved. • Privacy Policy