Cookies are required for login or registration. Please read and agree to our cookie policy to continue.

Newest Member: Ncg88

Divorce/Separation :
Next steps

Topic is Sleeping.

Flaco (original poster member #80117) posted at 5:04 PM on Monday, March 21st, 2022

Hi there I posted this in general and a
Respondent suggested posting here.

Good Morning,

I appreciate all the knowledge and advice here. It has helped a lot. I am a betrayed husband, my WW and I will be married 15 years at the end of March. I would appreciate some input for those of you who have time. I have a great support network such as a counselor, friends, and family, but I would appreciate impartial views.

Our marriage has not been perfect. We rarely made time for each other trying to raise two kids who are currently 8 and 14. My wife was raised in a very strict religion and married at 18 or 19 and divorced a year later. We dated and lived together, took the logical next step, got married and our son was born 9 months later. My wife rarely showed much affection and honestly I'm sure I could have done more to make her feel special. We both finished masters degrees, then she said she wanted to go to law school. We agreed since it was a dream of hers, then she earned another masters degree and has earned various credentials and certifications. After she finished law school we decided the logical next step was to move from the small remote area we lived in to a bigger metro area. She was unhappy with her job and we agreed she would have more opportunity for advancement. She got hired up here and worked the week, staying at her former boss's house (older lady) while I was home with our kids who were 1 and 7 at the time. That was 7 years ago and she has continued to advance, passing me up in pay about 4 years ago.

When covid hit, she was 39. She had just gotten hired to her new job, she was recruited by one of her professors through the extension classes she enjoyed taking. They were technically equals at her new job, the office shut down and she and he would take turns getting mail and such.

May of 2020 she had a mommy makeover done. We didn’t tell the kids about it, I just had to secretively take care of her while she recovered over the next two weeks. Back in December 2019 I had a vasectomy so she could stop taking birth control. We had both hoped that the vasectomy and mommy makeover might somehow strengthen our relationship but unfortunately that did not happen.

They became close for sue to working together and other reasons. Apparently his wife had cheated on him and she shared her unhappiness with our marriage. They began going on walks, buying each other tea, then working out together in secret and doing yoga together. I am a teacher, so I was home with our kids trying to get my students through covid and our children as well.

November of 2020, they took a work trip out of town together for one night. She told me she was going alone. About a week later she and I had an argument, she said she was unhappy and I am always grumpy and not nice. Then she said she wanted some space. Something didn't sit right with me so I did some snooping and found out about all the time they spent together. I called her on it and she insisted they were "just friends". We had several more of these discussions where I called her out and she insisted they weren't seeing each other and it was just a working relationship.

I ended up recording her, hearing them exchange "I love you" and call each other "baby". It was pretty painful. She agreed to go to marriage counseling, we each did an individual session then 3 more joint via zoom. During the joint sessions she was in her office working the whole time. She said things like "I want romance" and such. By the end of the sessions in January she said she wanted a divorce.

Over the next few months they continued to work out together almost daily with yoga and tea on the weekends. Around March/April of 2021 she said she thought we should stay together for the kids. A few weeks after that she said "The numbers don't make sense" for us to split. She insisted I needed to sell our motorhome, which I did. By the end of May she told me she thought we should sign paperwork that separated our retirements from each other. I told her that made no sense as I have never controlled her finances. The topic was dropped.

Around this time I again called her on the relationship, I had heard him still calling her baby and saying I love you on audio but she did not reciprocate that. She told me she is taking steps to end it. Nevertheless they continued to talk candidly and work out occasionally. My trusting self, I ended up cosigning on a new car for her in early June. By mid June, she asked me to meet her and told me she required that I either 1) Sign a Post-nuptial agreement separating all of our finances or 2) she will file for legal separation or 3) she will file for divorce. She was getting a 14% raise in July so she wanted all finances of ours separate.

I refused to sign so she filed for legal separation. She told me she would wait to finalize the document so that I would not default until she could find a lawyer who would legalize her post nuptial agreement. Over the next few months we as a family took several vacations together and the affair was clearly over even though they still talk and work together.

Last month she said she found a lawyer who would legalize her document. I have met with 4 lawyers, all of them have said this document is not appropriate since we live in a 50/50 state. So I filed my response to her. She was upset with me saying I didn't even try to negotiate. It has been an awful year. Luckily our kids don't know. My WW has always been very good at justifying her own behavior. Our friends and family have both commented on it.

So here I am, I have to file disclosures and it looks like I will be pushing for 50/50 split on all assets. I told her she could give up her house equity and I would lay no claim to her retirement and higher wages. She said "I'm not giving up $150k in equity!" So we are at an impasse and it looks like the courts will decide. Everyone I talk to says just file for divorce, but I grew up in a divorced family and I would hate to do that to my kids.

Anyway, I appreciate anyone who cares to comment and I am happy to clarify as this is the very short version. Thanks.

DDay 12/6/20 married 13 years at that time. Me: BH 46. Her: WW 41
2 beautiful kids. Legally separating which may turn into D

posts: 51   ·   registered: Mar. 21st, 2022   ·   location: Sacto
id 8724637

BearlyBreathing ( member #55075) posted at 2:39 AM on Tuesday, March 22nd, 2022

Hey Flaco.
Glad you talked to lawyers— listen to them and fight for everything you are entitled to— your future and your kids.
And sorry, but no more mr nice guy. It’s a business arrangement now, so treat it as such.

As for your kids — kids in a honest open happy home are in a better environment than one where a fake unhealthy marriage is being modeled. Kids are smart and pick up on things, even little kids. Divorce is no one’s first choice, but often it IS the better choice. And your STBXW has made it clear that it will be the best choice here— she’s not going to change.

So go after everything you deserve. Do not let her get more than the law allocates. She does NOT get to call the shots.

You are actually doing pretty well— hang in there. You are getting to get through this.

Me: BS 57 (49 on d-day)Him: *who cares ;-) *. D-Day 8/15/2016 LTA. Kinda liking my new life :-)

**horrible typist, lots of edits to correct. :-/ **

posts: 6144   ·   registered: Sep. 10th, 2016   ·   location: Northern CA
id 8724767

rambler ( member #43747) posted at 4:38 AM on Tuesday, March 22nd, 2022

A prenuptial signed under duress is not enforceable as well as you need to have it reviewed by your own attorney.

She is going to divorce you anyway. The worse thing you can do is stay in the marriage as it is because that will become the basis of your kids marriage or will have a bad view of marriage.

making it through

posts: 1414   ·   registered: Jun. 17th, 2014   ·   location: Chicago
id 8724796

Flaco (original poster member #80117) posted at 2:31 PM on Tuesday, March 22nd, 2022

Thank you for the responses.

I filed a response to her legal separation a week ago so that she would not take my default. This has soured her disposition towards me even more since she expect me to bargain with her over the agreement.

She then went to file a court date and my guess is when we go to court and start dividing stuff up, we will like decide it’s time for a D. I know I should do it earlier but if I do she will tell our families about how I the BH was the one to initiate divorce. I know it doesn’t matter but it matters to me because of the kids and the fact I came from a divorced household.

DDay 12/6/20 married 13 years at that time. Me: BH 46. Her: WW 41
2 beautiful kids. Legally separating which may turn into D

posts: 51   ·   registered: Mar. 21st, 2022   ·   location: Sacto
id 8724840
Topic is Sleeping.
Cookies on SurvivingInfidelity.com®

SurvivingInfidelity.com® uses cookies to enhance your visit to our website. This is a requirement for participants to login, post and use other features. Visitors may opt out, but the website will be less functional for you.

v.1.001.20240905a 2002-2024 SurvivingInfidelity.com® All Rights Reserved. • Privacy Policy