Cookies are required for login or registration. Please read and agree to our cookie policy to continue.

Newest Member: Brokenhearted3663

New Beginnings :
The church guy...holy hell, bullet dodged.

Topic is Sleeping.

freetogonow (original poster member #57821) posted at 5:20 AM on Monday, April 26th, 2021

What a crazy day.

Ok so...what drew me to church guy in the first place was that he has a servant's heart. He actively seeks to help people who can do nothing for him in return. And, I just love that because it speaks to me of selflessness. That's what made me like him so much, I saw that one facet of his personality and wanted to know more.

He's been my friend for a long time but very surface-y. Because, well, I was married and it wouldn't have been appropriate to know a single guy that well. I mean, he and I both have character, right?

However. I have learned that he has more issues than Reader's Digest.

He has a massive problem with self pity. There are things he could fix or change but he is choosing not to do that. He's choosing self pity. I don't want to get too specific on the off chance, because you just never know who is reading what, and who will recognize someone...but yeah.

I've gotten some feedback from trusted friends. One pointed out that he seemed to enjoy being a martyr and I can't argue with that (she knows details that I'm not going to post here).

Another friend said that he seems to be going to multiple women seeking attention and pity for his plight (which again I'm not going to get into the specifics of, but he does have a plight and it's pretty serious but he could also be doing things about it which he is choosing not to do).

I was thinking about what drives behavior. He is getting a secondary benefit by not fixing his issues or working on them AT ALL. He'd rather marinate in pain.

OK. He'll be marinating without me because I'm on an awesome trajectory.

However I will say this. He did serve a purpose for me. I see what I want in a man. I want that selfless servant's heart that's like Jesus. I want the guy who helps people who can do nothing for him in return. I want that guy. So I'm gonna look for a guy like that guy, but who doesn't have all the issues that Church Guy has.

End of story LOL.

id 8653979

twicefooled ( member #42976) posted at 2:21 PM on Monday, April 26th, 2021

Excellent job!

I've had a few "whew glad I dodged that bullet" moments the past few years of dating.

Now, if you meet another man that exhibits these traits you will recognize them quicker.

You should feel good :)

May 29 2021 ***reclaimed myself and decided to delete my story with my ex because I'm now 7 years free from him and mentally healthier than I've been in years.

*********When you know better, you can do better*************

id 8654037

barcher144 ( member #54935) posted at 2:25 PM on Monday, April 26th, 2021

He actively seeks to help people who can do nothing for him in return.

Based on your description... he helps other people to get something in return... YOUR attention. (that's a general "you", although in this case... it's also literally you).

Covert narcissists often do a lot of public service because it's an opportunity to put themselves front and center for being a GOOD PERSON and to get the attention that goes with it.

I like to help people too but I don't tell EVERYONE about it, though. And I get something in return... it makes me happy.

I want that selfless servant's heart that's like Jesus.

I am teasing you... but you might want to lower your standards just a little bit, you know.

Me: Crap, I'm 50 years old. D-Day: August 30, 2016. Two years of false reconciliation. Divorce final: Feb 1, 2021. Re-married: December 3, 2022.

id 8654038

freetogonow (original poster member #57821) posted at 3:48 PM on Monday, April 26th, 2021

Barcher thank you for your insights. I have had that same thought about covert narcisscism. My ex husband did things like this in a very showy, public way. It mattered to him that others knew he was "helping".

This guy, not so much. He is very low key and behind the scenes typically and does not seek accolades for the good things he does.

His larger issue seems to be the martyr problem (poor me, poor me, I COULD be doing all these things to help my situation but I rather complain instead of taking action), and communication is horrific. He has openly said that someone "should have known" something that he did not tell them. Well no, bud, it's no one's job to read your mind and anticipate your needs and wants. You are responsible for communicating those things. With words LOL.

He has done a couple of kind of crappy things to me. Nothing that I'm going to camp out on and stew over, nothing that I'm going to even bother telling him about unless he asks (he won't) because there's no point. But it was like, "I'll ignore this matter until she gets the message" rather than telling me something directly. That shit doesn't work for me so I'm noping out LOL.

id 8654059

grubs ( member #77165) posted at 4:08 PM on Monday, April 26th, 2021

I'm reading him more as passive aggressive with low self worth who lives for ego kibbles from being a KISA than a covert narc. Being a KISA is low risk compared with building a relationship. I work with someone like that. He was paying bills for a few women at one point.

id 8654060

JanaGreen ( member #29341) posted at 5:52 PM on Monday, April 26th, 2021

The first guy I was interested in post-divorce, first date I went on - he was very helpless and self-pitying. And self-sabotaging. I couldn't deal with it and broke things off. Sounds like you definitely dodged a bullet! Emotional tampons are no bueno.

posts: 9505   ·   registered: Aug. 17th, 2010   ·   location: Southeast US
id 8654094

barcher144 ( member #54935) posted at 2:25 AM on Tuesday, April 27th, 2021

Emotional tampons are no bueno.

Sorry for the thread jack, but this is just brilliant!

Me: Crap, I'm 50 years old. D-Day: August 30, 2016. Two years of false reconciliation. Divorce final: Feb 1, 2021. Re-married: December 3, 2022.

id 8654226

nekonamida ( member #42956) posted at 11:10 PM on Tuesday, April 27th, 2021

I've gotten some feedback from trusted friends. One pointed out that he seemed to enjoy being a martyr and I can't argue with that (she knows details that I'm not going to post here).

Another friend said that he seems to be going to multiple women seeking attention and pity for his plight (which again I'm not going to get into the specifics of, but he does have a plight and it's pretty serious but he could also be doing things about it which he is choosing not to do).

Why not both?

Awesome job at recognizing quickly that this is not the one for you. You did not fall into the old trap of seeing all these issues as things you could help him with. Bullet dodged indeed!

posts: 5232   ·   registered: Mar. 31st, 2014   ·   location: United States
id 8654521

freetogonow (original poster member #57821) posted at 12:58 AM on Wednesday, April 28th, 2021

You did not fall into the old trap of seeing all these issues as things you could help him with

YES.

I am not an emotional rehab facility for men.

Codependent no more indeed!

id 8654557

JanaGreen ( member #29341) posted at 3:40 AM on Wednesday, April 28th, 2021

Thanks Barcher!

posts: 9505   ·   registered: Aug. 17th, 2010   ·   location: Southeast US
id 8654604

Karmafan ( member #53810) posted at 7:41 PM on Wednesday, April 28th, 2021

I am not an emotional rehab facility for men.

Cowboy still available?

Me 48 XWH Irrelevant D-day 23 Feb 163 amazing, resilient kids

You are not a drop in the Ocean, you are the entire Ocean in a drop

posts: 639   ·   registered: Jun. 23rd, 2016   ·   location: UK
id 8654818

freetogonow (original poster member #57821) posted at 11:31 PM on Wednesday, April 28th, 2021

Cowboy is available but...eh. He has weird hair lol.

id 8654876

Karmafan ( member #53810) posted at 12:49 PM on Thursday, April 29th, 2021

Cowboy is available but...eh. He has weird hair lol.

Must be all that horse-riding that he does

Me 48 XWH Irrelevant D-day 23 Feb 163 amazing, resilient kids

You are not a drop in the Ocean, you are the entire Ocean in a drop

posts: 639   ·   registered: Jun. 23rd, 2016   ·   location: UK
id 8654987

WhoTheBleep ( member #49504) posted at 3:33 PM on Thursday, April 29th, 2021

Emotional tampons are no bueno.

My new name for STBX!! Thanks, Jana!

Cowboy still available?

Go for it,ftgn! Take him home one night and while he is sleeping, cut his hair!

I believe we have two lives: the one we learn with, and the one we live with after that. --The Natural

posts: 4523   ·   registered: Sep. 6th, 2015   ·   location: USA
id 8655033

freetogonow (original poster member #57821) posted at 6:29 AM on Saturday, May 1st, 2021

Cowboy pays a lot of attention to me. More than church guy did but I think church guy was emotionally stunted. Well I don’t think that, I know that.

I flirted a little with cowboy just to see what would happen and he flirted back.

I don’t know if I can deal with his crazy hair. Maybe I’ll casually slip into conversation, how much I dig short hair on guys.

id 8655794

grubs ( member #77165) posted at 1:53 PM on Saturday, May 1st, 2021

I don’t know if I can deal with his crazy hair.

Invite him over and corner him with clippers. #10 comb is a good length.

id 8655830

nekonamida ( member #42956) posted at 2:40 PM on Saturday, May 1st, 2021

Hair is much MUCH easier to fix and work with than emotional immaturity. Just saying. If everything else goes well with cowboy, maybe he'd be open to a hair cut.

posts: 5232   ·   registered: Mar. 31st, 2014   ·   location: United States
id 8655843
Topic is Sleeping.
Cookies on SurvivingInfidelity.com®

SurvivingInfidelity.com® uses cookies to enhance your visit to our website. This is a requirement for participants to login, post and use other features. Visitors may opt out, but the website will be less functional for you.

v.1.001.20240905a 2002-2024 SurvivingInfidelity.com® All Rights Reserved. • Privacy Policy