Cookies are required for login or registration. Please read and agree to our cookie policy to continue.

Newest Member: Brokenhearted3663

Wayward Side :
Ten years since dday

Topic is Sleeping.

plainsong (original poster member #37826) posted at 9:17 PM on Tuesday, December 22nd, 2020

Today is the 10th anniversary of Dday for me and sisoon. This year has been a hard one for both of us, maybe because 10 is such a round number. After ten years, the Inner Child can’t pretend that this never happened – that it’s just a bad dream that will go away. But I did what I did, and I hurt sisoon, and it will never go away.

We’ve had more flashbacks, more questions, and more discussions. A lot of them were about our courtship, which was both happy because we stuck together through misunderstandings and got to the point of feeling safe in our connection with each other, and sad because we didn’t realize earlier that we both wanted to be together and just had different issues and different ways of communicating that we needed to work through.

For me this has also been a good year – painful, but good. I have little by little gotten to the point where I can be conscious of and work through some of the issues that supported my affair – codependence and Rescuing, underlying negative beliefs about myself, and fears of others, that led to my putting up walls between myself, others and life, and piles of old and new grief, anger and shame.

As Churchill said, this is not the beginning of the end, but rather the end of the beginning. I can sometimes, and to some extent, live in reality rather than my old scripts. The reality of me, as an ordinary human being (that’s the ‘plain’ in plainsong’), and not a monster or saint, the reality of others, as basically well-intentioned, and the reality of life, as unpredictable (which I hate), but as a source of joy as well as of pain.

I know the future will also have both joy and pain. I am so lucky to have a partner with whom I share so many values, interests and goals. How rare is it that both of us are connected to our synagogue, like blues, bluegrass, Indian classical music, and percussion, and enjoy discussing history, language and psychology? We also have differences that make life more interesting. And some differences in temperament and processing style that can create difficulties, which with the help of our therapist we are learning to deal with.

My coping mechanisms are in the nature of compartmentalizing. As I integrate myself more, my issues don’t go away. I now just have to deal with them without those defenses. I need to deal with grief, guilt, resentment, fear, and shame, as well as relationships, productivity, contribution to the common good, learning, appreciation of art and nature, and connection to spirit, as a person with what has been called “single personality disorder,” rather than “multiple personality disorder”. Or, to put it another way, to deal with the shared existential dilemmas of human life, where we are not perfect but can and must continue to develop and increase our capacities to be kind to ourselves and others.

Wishing you all a good new year.

Me, fWW
Him, fBH (sisoon)
Dday, 12/22/2010
I use capital letters for emphasis, not yelling.
Reconciled and healing.

posts: 249   ·   registered: Dec. 17th, 2012   ·   location: Chicago area
id 8618906

fooled13years ( member #49028) posted at 9:54 PM on Tuesday, December 22nd, 2020

plainsong,

I hope that all WSs and BSs read this and realize that the 2 to 5 years is not a be all end all time frame and that a person's work on themselves might not end at a certain date on the calendar.

For those that wonder if this ever ends your post reinforces the many who state that while the pain may be reduced the scars are always there.

Take heart though as scar tissue is stronger than regular tissue.

I removed myself from infidelity and am happy again.

id 8618913

MrsWalloped ( member #62313) posted at 1:43 AM on Wednesday, December 23rd, 2020

Hi plainsong.

Time flies. It’s feels like yesterday when you were posting about reaching 9 years. If I remember, you had said that you thought right away that 2-5 years wouldn’t fit for you but it would be more like 10. How do you feel now that you’ve reached this milestone? Are you where you thought you might be?

@fooled13years - I think the timing is different for everyone and also different for a BS vs a WS. But even so, my understanding of the 2-5 year timeline doesn’t refer to healing. It refers to the R journey. The ongoing work and healing is separate from that.

Me: WW 47
My BH: Walloped 48
A: 3/15 - 8/15 (2 month EA, turned into 3 month PA)
DDay: 8/3/15
In R

id 8618955

denwickdroylsden ( member #51744) posted at 12:54 PM on Wednesday, December 23rd, 2020

I'm 7+ years out. It's been radio silence about my A between BW and I for about the past 5 of those. Just the other day I was playing music from my computer and she said that the song that was playing reminded her of my AP. First I'd heard of that. I didn't ask why, just apologized again for what I did, for hurting her, told her I regretted it every day of my life. Moral (?) of the story. . . it never ends, it never goes away, it's in the BS's heart and soul forever.

Me: WH frequent flyerNow on straight and narrow.
Paragraphing: Try it. You'll like it.

id 8619008

DaddyDom ( member #56960) posted at 3:37 PM on Wednesday, December 23rd, 2020

Thank you for sharing. It is so helpful, and hopeful, to read about where couples are in the process and what challenges they face, and when. We just ended year 4 and are walking into year 5 together. That 2-5 year guesstimate is a good one, but I agree, as you said, that doesn't mean in any way that we're "done". In many ways, it feels like more of a beginning, like the next step. We are good with crawling, now it's time to try and walk.

Do you have kids? How has this process been for them?

Me: WS
BS: ISurvivedSoFar
D-Day Nov '16
"I am floored by the amount of grace and love she has shown me in choosing to stay and fight for our marriage. I took everything from her, and yet she chose to forgive me."

id 8619065

Wool94 ( member #53300) posted at 10:14 PM on Wednesday, December 23rd, 2020

I pray that as time goes on, it continues to get easier.

sisoon has helped so many of us. I wish y'all the very best this season.

D-Day #1: April 7, 2016
D-Day #2: May 21, 2016
D-Day #3: June 7, 2016
Me: 1975
Her:WW (amn8r) 1981
Son 2006
Daughter 2009
"God not only loves you, but He actually likes you. "-Stephen Hooks

"My faith is mine now."

posts: 3816   ·   registered: May. 19th, 2016   ·   location: Roll Tide Country 🇺🇸
id 8619223

forgettableDad ( member #72192) posted at 12:41 AM on Thursday, December 24th, 2020

As Churchill said, this is not the beginning of the end, but rather the end of the beginning

Where reconciliation ends, a marriage must grow. And a marriage is a lifelong endeavour.

id 8619254

plainsong (original poster member #37826) posted at 4:42 PM on Friday, December 25th, 2020

Thanks to everyone for your responses, encouragement, and perspective.

MrsWalloped, - Yes I am where I thought (hoped) I would be at 10 years, and very grateful for it. I was fearful at the beginning that I would reach the stage of dementia (my mother died of it) without having worked through my false selves to get to my real self. My real self is still often scared, angry and ashamed, but I can become aware of that now and work to get to a better place.

DaddyDom,- We have an adult son, who we decided not to tell. This was in response to a posting on SI from a member who said his parents had reconciled and he wished they had never told him about the affair. We did tell him I was closing my practice because of a client who had become too much for me to deal with properly. He expressed sympathy for my overwhelm but didn't ask any questions - he has really good boundaries.

forgettableDad - I like the phrase "marriage is a lifelong endeavor". Though I am where I had hoped I would be at ten years, I am not where I want to be. My development as an individual and as a marriage partner will continue, and I am grateful for each new insight and each new ability to be the person I want to be.

Me, fWW
Him, fBH (sisoon)
Dday, 12/22/2010
I use capital letters for emphasis, not yelling.
Reconciled and healing.

posts: 249   ·   registered: Dec. 17th, 2012   ·   location: Chicago area
id 8619526
Topic is Sleeping.
Cookies on SurvivingInfidelity.com®

SurvivingInfidelity.com® uses cookies to enhance your visit to our website. This is a requirement for participants to login, post and use other features. Visitors may opt out, but the website will be less functional for you.

v.1.001.20240905a 2002-2024 SurvivingInfidelity.com® All Rights Reserved. • Privacy Policy