Cookies are required for login or registration. Please read and agree to our cookie policy to continue.

Newest Member: Brokenhearted3663

Wayward Side :
Challenging Myself

Topic is Sleeping.

LifeDestroyer (original poster member #71163) posted at 12:33 AM on Friday, December 18th, 2020

This first part is an absolute brag because I am damn proud of myself.

This past Saturday I ran in my second 5k. I beat my last time by 1:88! This race had 376 more runners. I placed 5th out of 44 women in my age group, 59th out 386 women overall, and 137th out of 630 runners!! I couldn't believe it. As soon as I finished and saw my time, I texted N because he has started running too. He did a 5k around halloween and placed 1st for his age group! I yelled out to my dad that I beat my time. He was there with my daughter. As she saw me run up to the finish line, she started running on the side. She ran around the gate and screamed with excitement for me. She wants to do that run next year.... we'll start with the 1 mile fun run/walk. It was a great feeling to know that I beat my time and in the cold weather. It was 33°, my toes were numb 🥶🥶

I just signed up for a 4 seasons challenge where if you run these 4 certain races, then all of the medals connect to each other to form one big medal. Three of them will be 5ks and one will be a quarter marathon 😬😬 I have some time for that one to build up my stamina.

Never did I think that I would actually really enjoy running when I started this summer. I can only run on days when I do have her or if my dad is watching her. On the days when I can't, I actually miss running. That's strange to say, but true. I didn't push myself to do the half marathon earlier this month like I wanted to. That kind of bummed me out because I really let my dad's words get into my head. He said I couldn't do it and that it would be too hard. I did train for it because I thought he was probably right. I definitely would have walked a bunch of it, but I also think I would have really pushed myself to run most of it. I may have not been able to move afterwards, but I would have gotten it done.

That will be my running goal for 2021, to run a half marathon.

Maybe today can be a good day, and if today can be a good day, then maybe tomorrow can be too.

We might be broken and imperfect, but we still have worth and value.

As hard as it is to feel pain, it's much harder to feel nothing.

posts: 769   ·   registered: Aug. 1st, 2019   ·   location: OK
id 8617529

MIgander ( member #71285) posted at 1:18 PM on Friday, December 18th, 2020

Hi LD,

Glad to hear you're running again. I wish we had some in person races this year to do in Michigan- the virtual ones don't cut it for me as I like to go in person for the camraderie of being with my "people" (people who run for fun ).

It's winter now and I run early mornings before kids are up (usually), so with the ice I turn to the treadmill. Luckily I'm working from home this winter, so I can take some day runs when the trails are clear. Otherwise, it's back to treadmill, rowing and weights for me. Which, while good, it's a replacement for the runs. Plus my dog misses out on the runs. I'll probably just walk her.

I ran a 1/2 marathon in 2019 and there's a good training program for beginners in the Runner's World online mag. I followed it to a T and it got me to do a 9min mile half marathon. The speed work and weights portion was critical for me developing the stamina I needed, so don't neglect that. For speed training I did interval runs on incline on the treadmill. It was brutal, but I was able to get down to a 6:30mile pace and that helped drop my time on the longer runs.

Tapering helped too- the last long runs I did before the race were 10 mile ones and it was critical not to over stress before the race.

Anyway, a long winded way to say good luck! And to encourage you to do it. It is the one thing I was proud of accomplishing in 2019... It's a big sense of satisfaction when you're able to do it.

Oh, and the last 3 miles are hell. Even with hydration and glucose boosts. Hopefully your legs will be numb by then!

WW/BW Dday July 2019. BH/WH- multiple EA's. Denial ain't just a river in Egypt.

posts: 1189   ·   registered: Aug. 15th, 2019   ·   location: Michigan
id 8617640

foreverlabeled ( member #52070) posted at 2:02 PM on Tuesday, December 22nd, 2020

LD this is fantastic!

You know, it is really important that as we strip ourselves of the old to build back up with the good stuff. Things that give us a sense of worth and value. It can come in simple ways or in this case challenging ourselves and there's nothing wrong with a healthy dose of pride.

You weren't a runner previously? Just up and decided to try it on for size? That's incredible.

I really enjoyed reading the part where your daughter joined you at the finish line. Aw, so sweet!

posts: 2597   ·   registered: Mar. 1st, 2016   ·   location: southeast
id 8618785

LifeDestroyer (original poster member #71163) posted at 2:29 PM on Tuesday, December 22nd, 2020

Nope, I HATED running before. My lungs has a huge disdain for it 🤣🤣 I started this summer. My road is hilly, so I started right away with a challenge. During the race, the first corner we turned around, my daughter was there. She then started to run down the sidewalk as I ran down the street. She wanted to continue, but the sidewalk ended and I had to turn down another street again.

MIgander, I've wanted to sign up for the virtual ones, but only because the medals are cool. I need the competition of running around people to really get a good time for myself. We used to have a treadmill, but it quickly became a place to hang clothes on. We eventually sold it. I may look into getting one of those fold up kinds. At least then I can run more often.... hopefully. I printed off a packet that talks about how to train for a marathon.

Maybe today can be a good day, and if today can be a good day, then maybe tomorrow can be too.

id 8618793

brokenInDenver ( member #71262) posted at 1:21 PM on Wednesday, December 23rd, 2020

I'm proud of you LifeDestroyer. This post is an inspiration to be sure! You make me want to get up out of this chair and go for a run. Well... maybe i'll start with a long walk :-).

Pat yourself on the back LD... soak in your accomplishment and then go destroy that 1/2 marathon! Proud of you.

BS (me) early 50s. WW late 40s. Two step-kids, no children of our own. Still married

posts: 150   ·   registered: Aug. 13th, 2019   ·   location: Colorado
id 8619021

hikingout ( member #59504) posted at 3:16 PM on Wednesday, December 23rd, 2020

LD - This is amazing!

I too started running after my affair. I had never been athletic, and never envisioned how anyone could enjoy it.

The benefits go so far past health. It's a mental stamina above all that helps you feel confident in tackling the other things in your life. It saved my mental health so much, and kept me from lulling back into depression. I am so proud of you. Keep it going.

And, I will say I haven't ran much at all for the last couple of months. Your post reminded me why I need to get back into it more fully. Thank you for the inspiration!

7 years of hard work - WS and BS - Reconciled

posts: 7479   ·   registered: Jul. 5th, 2017   ·   location: Arizona
id 8619054

LifeDestroyer (original poster member #71163) posted at 3:52 PM on Wednesday, December 23rd, 2020

Denver, walks are a great thing, especially if you have some nice scenery around you. There are these really beautiful trails that tons walk/run/ride bikes through. I went on a few walks through them. I would listen to music for the first hour and then just listen to surroundings for the last hour. I haven't been there in a bit, maybe I'll do that tomorrow 🤔🤔 I will warn you, that walks are a very easy way for you to get lost in your thoughts, good and bad ones. BUT it's also a great way to clear your head and really think about what you want to say or how you want to act.

..... we'll see about a half marathon 😬

Hiking, I knew you would enjoy hearing about my run. Now, go put your running sneakers on, layer up (can't remember where exactly you live), and get your butt out there!

id 8619071

hikingout ( member #59504) posted at 3:57 PM on Wednesday, December 23rd, 2020

Hiking, I knew you would enjoy hearing about my run. Now, go put your running sneakers on, layer up (can't remember where exactly you live), and get your butt out there!

Yep, definitely going to do exactly that. I like that it makes me feel better, and when I feel better I can do better.

7 years of hard work - WS and BS - Reconciled

posts: 7479   ·   registered: Jul. 5th, 2017   ·   location: Arizona
id 8619072
Topic is Sleeping.
Cookies on SurvivingInfidelity.com®

SurvivingInfidelity.com® uses cookies to enhance your visit to our website. This is a requirement for participants to login, post and use other features. Visitors may opt out, but the website will be less functional for you.

v.1.001.20240905a 2002-2024 SurvivingInfidelity.com® All Rights Reserved. • Privacy Policy