Cookies are required for login or registration. Please read and agree to our cookie policy to continue.

Newest Member: Ncg88

New Beginnings :
Money gifted to a child

Topic is Sleeping.

MelisssaZZZ (original poster member #25953) posted at 3:39 PM on Sunday, November 15th, 2020

I have posted about my ex previously. We are divorced long time ago. He is a litigious type and had taken me to the court before.

I have been thinking of depositing some money with my brother to invest in the name of my daughter. Like to buy property in her name and redevelop etc. The money and the outcome would remain dd’s. Basically he would grow the investment for her over the years and it would be fully hers to have some help to start the life..

Now the question. Am I running a risk ex Legally claiming any of this As his (as her father not part of divorce) before she reaches 18? Yeah unfortunately he is just that kind of person capable Of this kind of stuff

Me BS - 40
WH 42
1 child - 9y
married 5 yrs, together 7
DD1 midmarch 09
DD2 early june 09
some more DD's of course - cannot bother to list

Him: not with OW anymore. She grew up and ditched him..

posts: 1669   ·   registered: Oct. 23rd, 2009   ·   location: London, UK
id 8609279

shakentocore ( member #46124) posted at 7:35 PM on Sunday, November 15th, 2020

I would advise you to speak to a certified financial planner. S/he can advise you not only about your ex, but about tax and other implications. For example, in many instances, having a “nest egg” for your daughter will reduce her opportunities for financial scholarships. If the money is in your brothers name and not hers, it could be seen as fraud.

A financial planner can advise you on many different avenues to provide for your daughter, such as life insurance, trusts, etc. if you save in your own name, you can gift your daughter a substantial amount of money when she is older.

DDay - Christmas 2014. Working on R.

id 8609344

TrustedHer ( member #23328) posted at 8:22 PM on Sunday, November 15th, 2020

Definitely look into trusts, with the aid of a good attorney. You can also use a trust to protect your assets from external assault, and to pass property to your heirs without the necessity of probate.

Take care of yourself. There's a great future out there. It won't come to you; you have to go to it.

posts: 5942   ·   registered: Mar. 21st, 2009   ·   location: DeepInTheHeartOf, TX
id 8609362

MelisssaZZZ (original poster member #25953) posted at 8:32 PM on Sunday, November 15th, 2020

It would be in DD’s name mostly for tax purposes..

There is no chance we would qualify for financial scholarship.. only an academical one..

Yes, need to look into trusts.. the property would be in my birth country not uk and trusts are not commonly used there as there is no tax on inheritance.. so all that planning is little less relevant..

Main concern is x.. if it’s direct ownership by dd - would he have any leg to stand on to say it’s his..

Me BS - 40
WH 42
1 child - 9y
married 5 yrs, together 7
DD1 midmarch 09
DD2 early june 09
some more DD's of course - cannot bother to list

Him: not with OW anymore. She grew up and ditched him..

posts: 1669   ·   registered: Oct. 23rd, 2009   ·   location: London, UK
id 8609370
Topic is Sleeping.
Cookies on SurvivingInfidelity.com®

SurvivingInfidelity.com® uses cookies to enhance your visit to our website. This is a requirement for participants to login, post and use other features. Visitors may opt out, but the website will be less functional for you.

v.1.001.20240905a 2002-2024 SurvivingInfidelity.com® All Rights Reserved. • Privacy Policy