Cookies are required for login or registration. Please read and agree to our cookie policy to continue.

Newest Member: Brokenhearted3663

The Book Club :
When the Past Is Present by David Richo

Topic is Sleeping.

onlytime (original poster member #45817) posted at 11:40 PM on Tuesday, July 25th, 2017

I just finished reading When the Past Is Present: Healing the Emotional Wounds That Sabotage Our Relationships by David Richo, PhD.

Really good book, IMO.

I posted some material from the second chapter in a post in General entitled "The Work"

http://www.survivinginfidelity.com/forums.asp?tid=608750

It focuses mainly on "transference", which for those that don't know, is the unconscious transfer of feelings and attitudes from a person or situation in the past on to a person or situation in the present.

The content was really good and there were practices (exercises) throughout each chapter. Definitely worth checking out for those that are interested in gaining further insights into themselves and doing some healing work.

It combines psychology and Buddhist philosophy, which has been the approach we have used in our healing, and which has been completely transformative for both of us.

R'd w/ BetterFuture13
T 20+ yrs w/ adult kids 😇 + grands
"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall" ~Nelson Mandela

posts: 6298   ·   registered: Dec. 3rd, 2014   ·   location: 🇨🇦
id 7928393

seekingright2013 ( member #37991) posted at 2:02 PM on Saturday, July 29th, 2017

Thanks for this review ! I love David Richo's work. I don't have this book, I'll be ordering it today.

I really got a lot out of his book, "how to be a grownup." Good stuff.

“I tramp a perpetual journey.”
― Walt Whitman, Song of Myself

posts: 139   ·   registered: Jan. 3rd, 2013   ·   location: Red State SE US
id 7931549

onlytime (original poster member #45817) posted at 3:24 PM on Saturday, July 29th, 2017

I just bought his "How to Be an Adult" book this morning. I am only a few pages in so far and have a feeling this will be pretty intense.

R'd w/ BetterFuture13
T 20+ yrs w/ adult kids 😇 + grands
"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall" ~Nelson Mandela

posts: 6298   ·   registered: Dec. 3rd, 2014   ·   location: 🇨🇦
id 7931597
Topic is Sleeping.
Cookies on SurvivingInfidelity.com®

SurvivingInfidelity.com® uses cookies to enhance your visit to our website. This is a requirement for participants to login, post and use other features. Visitors may opt out, but the website will be less functional for you.

v.1.001.20240905a 2002-2024 SurvivingInfidelity.com® All Rights Reserved. • Privacy Policy