Cookies are required for login or registration. Please read and agree to our cookie policy to continue.

Newest Member: Brokenhearted3663

The Book Club :
Books on Forgiveness

Topic is Sleeping.

tiredofcrying59 (original poster member #56180) posted at 11:29 PM on Tuesday, April 4th, 2017

My IC has recommended that I look at a couple of books on forgiveness, but most of the ones I am seeing are very religious in nature, which as an agnostic is not going to work well for me.

IOW, "forgive, because god/Jesus forgave you" is just not a logic I can apply in my life right now.

Anybody read any good ones?

BW
Me-59
Him-57
M-33 yrs, not that I "celebrate" it
D-day-10/30/16 2mo.PA w/COW attempting R

new news- like a 5 year A w/COW, no longer attempting R. What am I, an idiot?

Getting on with life, without him.

id 7827889

looking forward ( member #25238) posted at 5:03 AM on Wednesday, April 5th, 2017

There are two excellent books that I would recommend.

Forgiveness ~ How To Make Peace With Your Past And Get On With Your Life by Dr. Sidney B. Simon and Suzanne Simon (ISBN 0-446-39259-6) ~ Based on their popular "Forgiveness" seminar, the author of Getting Unstuck and his wife designed to help readers let go of their pain and get on with their lives.

What Forgiveness Is Not

Forgiveness is not forgetting.

Forgiveness is not condoning.

Forgiveness is not absolution.

Forgiveness is not a form of self-sacrifice.

Forgiveness is not a clear-cut, one-time decision.

What Forgiveness Is

Forgiveness is a by-product of an ongoing healing process.

Forgiveness is an internal process.

Forgiveness is a sign of positive self-esteem.

Forgiveness is letting go of the intense emotions attached to incidents from our past.

Forgiveness is recognizing that we no longer need our grudges and resentments, our hatred and self-pity.

Forgiveness is no longer wanting to punish the people who hurt us.

Forgiveness is accepting that nothing we do to punish them will heal us.

Forgiveness is freeing up and putting to better use the energy once consumed by holding grudges, harboring resentments, and nursing unhealed wounds.

Forgiveness is moving on.

How Can I Forgive You? The Courage To Forgive, The Freedom Not To by Janis Abrahms Spring, Ph.D. (ISBN 0-06-000390-6) ~ Using illustrative material from her nearly 30 years as a therapist, the author outlines four approaches to forgiveness: (1) cheap forgiveness, which she sees as an inauthentic act of peacekeeping that resolves nothing; (2) refusing to forgive, which is categorized as a rigid response that keeps one entombed in hate; (3) acceptance, which is a healing gift that asks nothing of the offender; and (4) genuine forgiveness, which the author describes as a healing transaction and an intimate dance. Spring has discovered that we are all looking for "some new approach, that frees us from the corrosive effects of hate, gives voice to the injustice, and helps us to make peace with the person who hurt us and with ourselves." This self-help book is aimed at those who have done wrong and those who have been wronged.

Together 56 years, Married 51 years. Sober since 2009. "You've always had the power, my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself." (The Wizard of Oz)

posts: 3614   ·   registered: Aug. 20th, 2009   ·   location: Where a river runs through it
id 7828150

tiredofcrying59 (original poster member #56180) posted at 5:37 AM on Wednesday, April 5th, 2017

Thank you! I just started How Can I Forgive You. I'll get the first book you suggested as well. I appreciate it.

BW
Me-59
Him-57
M-33 yrs, not that I "celebrate" it
D-day-10/30/16 2mo.PA w/COW attempting R

new news- like a 5 year A w/COW, no longer attempting R. What am I, an idiot?

Getting on with life, without him.

id 7828165

Itsanewday ( member #49991) posted at 4:40 PM on Tuesday, April 18th, 2017

I'm reading How Can I Forgive You? By Janis A Spring who wrote After The Affair. I'm finding it very helpful as is my FWH.

I am not what happened to me. I am what I choose to become.

posts: 100   ·   registered: Oct. 19th, 2015   ·   location: Georgia
id 7839514
Topic is Sleeping.
Cookies on SurvivingInfidelity.com®

SurvivingInfidelity.com® uses cookies to enhance your visit to our website. This is a requirement for participants to login, post and use other features. Visitors may opt out, but the website will be less functional for you.

v.1.001.20240905a 2002-2024 SurvivingInfidelity.com® All Rights Reserved. • Privacy Policy