Cookies are required for login or registration. Please read and agree to our cookie policy to continue.

Newest Member: Brokenhearted3663

The Book Club :
"The Unbearable Lightness of Being"

Topic is Sleeping.

Unhinged (original poster member #47977) posted at 11:21 PM on Monday, October 17th, 2016

I read Milan Kundera's book in my early twenties, so I don't remember it very well. However, I do remember that infidelity was a central theme. I'm not sure how good this book would be post-infidelity, but I'm seriously considering reading it once again.

Married 2005
D-Day April, 2015
Divorced May, 2022

"The Universe is not short on wake-up calls. We're just quick to hit the snooze button." -Brene Brown

posts: 6710   ·   registered: May. 21st, 2015   ·   location: Colorado
id 7686898

bw900 ( member #47732) posted at 5:46 PM on Wednesday, October 19th, 2016

Hi, Unhinged, my dday was a just few months before yours. I listened to this book this summer for the first time. It’s very much about infidelity. It's also about love...in spite of infidelity (?). Lots of triggery stuff, but at this point triggers about infidelity are everywhere for me anyway. I liked the book for the writing and some of the observations and ideas about life. Kind of meanders at times. I can't say it was healing for me exactly, but perhaps gave me more information about the wayward mind.

Me: BW 68 (59 at dday) WH: 69 (60 at dday)D-day 1/2015 EA/PA 1.25 year w/COW M 31 yrs, 4 grown kids Reconciling, which is not easy! Still Grieving what I thought our M was and who I thought he was

posts: 265   ·   registered: May. 1st, 2015   ·   location: USA
id 7688424

UKgirl ( member #17062) posted at 10:29 AM on Monday, October 24th, 2016

I read this earlier this year and found the characters rather annoying. It's quite a heavy book with its ideas and wanderings. I wouldn't recommend it to someone with a relatively fresh d-day as Tomas is such a selfish and rather cruel (if unintentionally) person and Teresa(?) is a foil for these traits. I found this rather tiresome and wanted to slap one or both of them!

It's the only book I have read by this author and I think I'd read another of his, but would have to be in the right frame of (serious) mind.

Interestingly, I have just finished Life After Life by Kate Atkinson which is about a life lived repeatedly from birth. The doctor who didn't make it to the birth in time and the baby died and then when he did make it and the baby lived - and so on. A different view on the philosophy and possibilities of life. There is a small mention of infidelity in this book too - seems it's impossible to avoid!!

Affair1: Dday 30/07/06 LTA: 5yrs ex-fiancee Affair2: Dday 04/09/20 9mths another XHSgf.Me/BS, still young. Him/WS, old. 4 grown boysHaving an affair because you are unhappy is like eating Ex-lax because you are hungry - unfound's mom

posts: 4045   ·   registered: Nov. 17th, 2007   ·   location: UK
id 7691680

BrokenheartedUK ( member #43520) posted at 1:41 PM on Saturday, December 31st, 2016

I loved this book in my twenties. I've read a lot of Kundera. I'd like to go back and reread it too. Maybe we should make a plan to discuss it in a couple of months together Unhinged?

Me: BS
He cheated and then lied. Apparently cheaters lie. Huh. 13 months of false R. Divorced! 8/16 3 teenage kids
"The barn's burnt down
Now
I can see the moon"
-Mizuta Masahide

id 7742699
Topic is Sleeping.
Cookies on SurvivingInfidelity.com®

SurvivingInfidelity.com® uses cookies to enhance your visit to our website. This is a requirement for participants to login, post and use other features. Visitors may opt out, but the website will be less functional for you.

v.1.001.20240905a 2002-2024 SurvivingInfidelity.com® All Rights Reserved. • Privacy Policy