Cookies are required for login or registration. Please read and agree to our cookie policy to continue.

Newest Member: Brokenhearted3663

The Book Club :
His Needs, Her Needs by Willard F. Harley

Topic is Sleeping.

bw900 (original poster member #47732) posted at 7:08 AM on Monday, August 29th, 2016

:Building an Affair-proof Marriage.

The author is also the Marriage Builders site owner.

I thought there was a lot of helpful advice for making a marriage closer and stronger. It includes how to survive an affair.

However, I think there is too much emphasis on a WS "unmet needs," being the"cause" of the affair. This philosophy seems outdated and more like something you'd learn in the 60's.

I think WS lack of GIVING in the marriage and fear of confrontation with the BS to address those "needs" should be added to this book.

In spite of that negative I thought the needs described were helpful, especially to clarify my need for conversation. It was referred to in the book as intimate conversation, something I have really wanted in our M, but haven't managed to get enough .

Me: BW 68 (59 at dday) WH: 69 (60 at dday)D-day 1/2015 EA/PA 1.25 year w/COW M 31 yrs, 4 grown kids Reconciling, which is not easy! Still Grieving what I thought our M was and who I thought he was

posts: 265   ·   registered: May. 1st, 2015   ·   location: USA
id 7646768

sicatrose ( member #52243) posted at 4:33 PM on Monday, August 29th, 2016

I bought the book when I saw some texts my husband's "friend" sent to him. They were not sexual, but inappropriate because she was angry with him and reacting as a gf would . "I'm mad so now I don't want to see you tonight." At the time, he showed no interest in working on our marriage and that book sat collecting dust.

After 2 years of lies and gaslighting the truth finally came out. Lo and behold, my husband was now desperate to attend a workshop at his church based on the book. When I asked for advice here on SI, many voiced the opinion that the book blamed the BS. I took a chance and found that the workshop was helpful in opening up communication and has encouraged my very selfish husband to do acts of kindness and giving for me to build up his "love bank."

At the workshop, there was no blame put on BS. Harley, in the video segments, and the pastor who facilitated emphasized the pain of betrayal and that infidelity automatically bankrupted your "love bank."

Overall I enjoyed it and found it helpful. Of course , my opinion is probably worth sh*t because I now suspect he is slipping down the slope into EA territory with an ex.

Wishing you strength and peace.

[This message edited by sicatrose at 10:42 AM, August 29th (Monday)]

Better to be hurt by truth, than comforted with a lie.

posts: 110   ·   registered: Mar. 14th, 2016   ·   location: United States
id 7646994

bw900 (original poster member #47732) posted at 1:20 PM on Wednesday, August 31st, 2016

Wishing you strength and peace.

Thank you, sicatrose, and I wish the same for you. It sounds like things are still very challenging for you.

((sicatrose))

I'm encouraged to read that the workshop was helpful and respectful to the BS.

Me: BW 68 (59 at dday) WH: 69 (60 at dday)D-day 1/2015 EA/PA 1.25 year w/COW M 31 yrs, 4 grown kids Reconciling, which is not easy! Still Grieving what I thought our M was and who I thought he was

posts: 265   ·   registered: May. 1st, 2015   ·   location: USA
id 7648792

Lovedyoumore ( member #35593) posted at 7:44 PM on Thursday, September 29th, 2016

We did the whole series/workbook years ago at our church. Although it gives some insight and guidance for already receptive partners, I am obvious proof that it cannot affair proof a marriage. You can meet the others needs until the cows come home and still be betrayed. There is so much more needed to keep the premise of this book honest.

Me 50's
WH 50's
Married 30+ years
2 young adult children
OW single 20 years younger
Together trying to R

Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose

posts: 3626   ·   registered: May. 15th, 2012   ·   location: Southern, bless your heart
id 7673828
Topic is Sleeping.
Cookies on SurvivingInfidelity.com®

SurvivingInfidelity.com® uses cookies to enhance your visit to our website. This is a requirement for participants to login, post and use other features. Visitors may opt out, but the website will be less functional for you.

v.1.001.20240905a 2002-2024 SurvivingInfidelity.com® All Rights Reserved. • Privacy Policy