Cookies are required for login or registration. Please read and agree to our cookie policy to continue.

Newest Member: Brokenhearted3663

The Book Club :
Parenting Books

Topic is Sleeping.

annanew (original poster member #43693) posted at 8:11 PM on Tuesday, March 29th, 2016

What are your favs? I'm a parenting book junkie lately.

I started a year ago with How to Talk So Kids Will Listen - a great classic, and a lot of the more recent texts follow the same approach. Anyone read this and had success with the practical approach?

Since then -

Parent Effectiveness Training - good, similar to how to talk but fairly extreme in that it interprets everything a kid does as expressing a "need", a little bit too extreme for my taste.

Parenting from the Inside Out - a lot of people swear by this one so I may have to give it another read. I didn't take much away from it the first time.

The Whole Brain Child - by same author as above, very similar.

Playful Parenting - I LOVE this one. It's an uplifting read, super fun, and great advice that is different from a lot of the standard texts.

A Child's Work - about the importance of play, but no advice for parents - really intended for educators.

Hold on to Your Kids - Reading this now. Pretty alarmist and I'm not sure that I buy the premise that kids are more peer-oriented now than they ever were. But I'm hoping it will have some solid advice. It's interesting for an SI audience perhaps because it draws a parallel between teen rejection of parents and foggy affair behavior.

On my list: Mind in the Making, and The Five Love Languages of Kids

I also read Welcome to your Child's Brain, and Brain Rules for Baby several years ago, though I wouldn't characterize these as parenting books.

Single mom to a sweet girl.

posts: 2500   ·   registered: Jun. 11th, 2014   ·   location: California
id 7515462

mamazen ( member #42137) posted at 1:04 AM on Saturday, April 2nd, 2016

It's been a while for me for parenting books, but I remember liking anything by T Berry Brazelton, and Dr William Sears. Also remember loving "The Three Martini Playdate" as I got more jaded! LOL Good luck!

mamazen

me 57
WH 58
married 19 years
separated since 3/2013 (in house until 8/2013)
D FINAL! Sept 10 2014
D-day Dec 21 2013 (after separation)
2 sons 17 and 13
OW = family friend and WH work colleague, going on m

posts: 679   ·   registered: Jan. 20th, 2014   ·   location: canada
id 7518851

mamazen ( member #42137) posted at 1:09 AM on Saturday, April 2nd, 2016

Also I highly recommend "Protecting The Gift" by Gavin De Becker. It's about how to best protect your children from predators, basically by not denying or negating their emotions and intuition in your parenting practice. Cannot say enough great things about this book.

mamazen

me 57
WH 58
married 19 years
separated since 3/2013 (in house until 8/2013)
D FINAL! Sept 10 2014
D-day Dec 21 2013 (after separation)
2 sons 17 and 13
OW = family friend and WH work colleague, going on m

posts: 679   ·   registered: Jan. 20th, 2014   ·   location: canada
id 7518855

Lark ( member #43773) posted at 3:45 AM on Monday, April 4th, 2016

I really liked Bringing up Bebe. I didn't agree with everything it said, but it offered a lot of great opportunities to reflect on some of the things I take for "granted" in parenting.

I was chatting with one of the founding teachers at my daughter's school and she recommended I read Alfie Kohn's works. I read one of his years ago but it was likely during newborn sleepless zombie mode because I really dont remember much of it now.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” - Dumbledore

posts: 4131   ·   registered: Jun. 18th, 2014   ·   location: California
id 7520213

plainsong ( member #37826) posted at 5:00 PM on Tuesday, April 5th, 2016

My favorite is Growing Up Again, Parenting Ourselves, Parenting our Children by Clarke and Dawson. Great on developmental stages and on low key but firm parenting techniques. Also addresses how to deal with our own issues that are triggered by a child's issue or developmental stage that correspond to something that didn't go well in our own upbringing.

Me, fWW
Him, fBH (sisoon)
Dday, 12/22/2010
I use capital letters for emphasis, not yelling.
Reconciled and healing.

posts: 249   ·   registered: Dec. 17th, 2012   ·   location: Chicago area
id 7521426

crazynutshell ( new member #51521) posted at 7:34 PM on Wednesday, May 25th, 2016

I would like to recommend Robin Berman. My favourite book of this author is Permission to Parent. I have read it twice. A lot of useful information, everything is explained in plain English, real-world examples.

posts: 11   ·   registered: Jan. 26th, 2016   ·   location: Ohio
id 7565663

Molly2016 ( member #52040) posted at 1:43 AM on Saturday, May 28th, 2016

I really liked Alfie Kohn's "Unconditional Parenting." I work in a public high school and so wish some of my students had been raised by parents following Kohn's advice.

Me: WW 42
He: BH 42
Multiple online EAs, DDay June 2017
Working on myself, BH has given me one more chance because he believes I have it in me to step up and be a safe partner. His faith in me gives me strength.

id 7567971

GreatPretender ( member #48951) posted at 5:03 AM on Saturday, June 18th, 2016

I'm going to have to check some of these out!

Me: BS
Him: SAWH
DDay: too many - summer 2015

Most sex addicts seem to end up with very loyal, deeply loving, and strong individuals. So this is what I get for being loyal, loving & strong? WTF.

posts: 294   ·   registered: Aug. 13th, 2015   ·   location: Midwest
id 7585189

shakentocore ( member #46124) posted at 4:29 AM on Sunday, September 4th, 2016

Children are From Heaven. I think it was written by the same guy who wrote the men are from Mars / women are from Venus books.

DDay - Christmas 2014. Working on R.

id 7652057
Topic is Sleeping.
Cookies on SurvivingInfidelity.com®

SurvivingInfidelity.com® uses cookies to enhance your visit to our website. This is a requirement for participants to login, post and use other features. Visitors may opt out, but the website will be less functional for you.

v.1.001.20240905a 2002-2024 SurvivingInfidelity.com® All Rights Reserved. • Privacy Policy